TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anal?

ProntoTonto

Mice? I thought about a cover but afraid of scratching the paint. It seems like even the best covers could scratch and from what I read still let moisture in because it needs to be breathable or could get moisture trapped causing mold.

Absolutely mice are an issue leaving your car outside during the cold weather--i know from experience.Actually ive had them in the garage too.They like to nest on the engine--crawl up the wheels.Set some traps in the front and back of the car on the floor.Check out your engine bay as well to see if you have any new friends.

Ive used a good car cover for years and never had any scratch issues--am i just lucky??

My first Cobra was a beautiful Rio Red that was not a daily driver. I was caught in a rainstorm while driving. When I got home I parked in the driveway and proceeded to wash the car in a driving rain.

Don't feel bad -I've been caught in the rain a few times and each time I've washed the car in the rain before putting it away I hate getting the undercarriage filthy

I got my car July 2 and it has never seen rain

Just curious guys...I'm not judging anybody here..so don't take any offense 20ixcmr.gif

This goes out to any of you that don't drive your car in rain..what's the reason? Is it just fact that the undercarriage gets some dirt kicked up on it? Afraid of rust...etc?

I am just honestly interested in the reasons.

I for one drive my car in rain...not to the extent that I'll purposely go out cruisin in the rain..but if I have to go somewhere I'll drive it.

Just curious guys...I'm not judging anybody here..so don't take any offense 20ixcmr.gif

This goes out to any of you that don't drive your car in rain..what's the reason? Is it just fact that the undercarriage gets some dirt kicked up on it? Afraid of rust...etc?

I for one drive my car in rain...not to the extent that I'll purposely go out cruisin in the rain..but if I have to go somewhere I'll drive it.

Ive got several cars,and only drive 2 in the rain.Its just a real pain to clean the undercarriage,and when i sell my cars, they bring an extra buck if they all original,low milegae and very clean.Im not afraid of safety or anything like that.

THIER ARE A LOT OF US IN FLORIDA. MY SGT IS MY DAILY DRIVER, WASH IT WHEN EVER I SEE A FLIM ON THE WINDOWS. WASH THE BOTTOM EVERY OTHER WEEK AND KEEP IT WAXED. LOOKS LIKE THE DAY I BROUHT HER HOME.

THIER ARE A LOT OF US IN FLORIDA. MY SGT IS MY DAILY DRIVER, WASH IT WHEN EVER I SEE A FLIM ON THE WINDOWS. WASH THE BOTTOM EVERY OTHER WEEK AND KEEP IT WAXED. LOOKS LIKE THE DAY I BROUHT HER HOME.

congrats on being a submariner---BTW, how do go about c;leaning the undercariiage.For me the way i do it,thers a lot of ;laying on the ground and getting completley wet.Do you actually clean it by hand and wax the underneath??

BBS IV,

I have a Ford Explorer to haul the kids around and just figure to share the mileage, I would rather drive a truck in the rain than the Shelby.

Regards,

Jim

My GT500 is my secondary car, and I work hard to keep it clean (as most or all of us do). Probably because I am anal, I keep it as clean and perfect as possible, and I want it to stay that way for as long as possible between cleanings. Taking it out in the rain gets it water-spotted and usually a little muddy.

Another reason is that I bought this car as a "toy" to drive hard. This is obviously difficult to impossible to do in the rain. In these conditions, it's just like any other car. In fact, it is MORE difficult to drive in the rain than my MB (or my wife's Toyota Sienna).

By the way, I didn't buy this car as an "investment" to sell years down the road. As has been discussed at length on this and other forums, the GT500 is not rare enough to be that kind of car. I am just happy that it should somewhat retain its value over time, and I plan on keeping it indefinitely, at least until my boys (and girls) are old enough to drive and enjoy it.

Sorry, that was a bit :offtopic:

By the way, I didn't buy this car as an "investment" to sell years down the road. As has been discussed at length on this and other forums, the GT500 is not rare enough to be that kind of car. I am just happy that it should somewhat retain its value over time, and I plan on keeping it indefinitely, at least until my boys (and girls) are old enough to drive and enjoy it.

BG,

My kids will only be enjoying this car from the passenger seats, but it will be left to them in my will, and since I am not selling it, I really don't care what it is going to be worth in the future. I just enjoy driving it.

Regards,

Jim

Yep...totally 100% agree with your viewpoint Baby Gorilla. I need my car as a daily driver...and I don't have the cash to own 3 cars or such. So I'm going drive my prized possession and take care of it the best I can.

If someone gave me the choice of getting $75,000 for the car right now (and not being able to go out and buy another Shelby - just for arguments sake.) or keeping and driving the car for the next 20 years...I don't need to tell you how easy of a choice that would be for me. I got this car to bring me some happiness...and it's totally exceeding all expectations in that area for me.

Ive got several cars,and only drive 2 in the rain.Its just a real pain to clean the undercarriage,and when i sell my cars, they bring an extra buck if they all original,low milegae and very clean.Im not afraid of safety or anything like that.

BBS IV,

I have a Ford Explorer to haul the kids around and just figure to share the mileage, I would rather drive a truck in the rain than the Shelby.

Regards,

Jim

My GT500 is my secondary car, and I work hard to keep it clean (as most or all of us do). Probably because I am anal, I keep it as clean and perfect as possible, and I want it to stay that way for as long as possible between cleanings. Taking it out in the rain gets it water-spotted and usually a little muddy.

Another reason is that I bought this car as a "toy" to drive hard. This is obviously difficult to impossible to do in the rain. In these conditions, it's just like any other car. In fact, it is MORE difficult to drive in the rain than my MB (or my wife's Toyota Sienna).

Thanks for your responses to my question guys...I thought it was going to be all about rust forming...So more or less...just keeping the bottom clean.

I managed to do that with my old car with the car wash and one of those brushes with the long handles. Whenever I had to take it to the garage the guys were always so impressed that the underside looked so clean. I did that about once a week or two.

congrats on being a submariner---BTW, how do go about c;leaning the undercariiage.For me the way i do it,thers a lot of ;laying on the ground and getting completley wet.Do you actually clean it by hand and wax the underneath??

I made a waterlance with some PVC pipe some 90's and a spray nozzel, Just run it under the car for a good fresh water rince.

If someone gave me the choice of getting $75,000 for the car right now (and not being able to go out and buy another Shelby - just for arguments sake.) or keeping and driving the car for the next 20 years...

Interesting question, BBS. $75,000 is not enough for me either, but since everyone has a price, what would be enough? I've already become emotionally attached to mine ( ;) ). It depends on many factors, including how badly one needs the money. My initial thought is that it would have to be well north of $150,000.

It's not a 2010 but anal still applies.

Before I bring my car back into the garage after washing it I vacuum the garage floor with our old Hoover Upright.

I have color-coded micro fiber cloths, Green for glass, Blue for waxing and detailing and White for interior.

When I am done using them I wash them separately with baby shampoo and air-dry them. I do the same thing with my artificial chamois. My wife thinks that this is a little bit too much, she just doesn’t understand. And she thought I had a problem when she saw me under the rear of the car drying off the mufflers and tail pipes.

Before I bring my car back into the garage after washing it I vacuum the garage floor with our old Hoover Upright.

I have color-coded micro fiber cloths, Green for glass, Blue for waxing and detailing and White for interior.

When I am done using them I wash them separately with baby shampoo and air-dry them. I do the same thing with my artificial chamois. My wife thinks that this is a little bit too much, she just doesn’t understand. And she thought I had a problem when she saw me under the rear of the car drying off the mufflers and tail pipes.

WOW!! all that work really shows up on your car--what wax do you use??Great looking car

WOW!! all that work really shows up on your car--what wax do you use??Great looking car

Thanks.

I use Ice Paste wax, when it dries I spray it with Ice Detailer to soften it then remove the wax.

When I am done using them I wash them separately with baby shampoo and air-dry them. I do the same thing with my artificial chamois. My wife thinks that this is a little bit too much, she just doesn't understand. And she thought I had a problem when she saw me under the rear of the car drying off the mufflers and tail pipes.

Yep..........................anal does apply here :hysterical2: but being anal sure does make your Shelby look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

My car will never see a drop of rain. I'm fortunate enough to have a daily driver. Anal about perfection or what not, just don't let it deter you from enjoying it and driving it as much as you can. For some, including myself, cleaning is all part of the fun.

P.s. - I swear, birds aim for red...

-Josh

My car will never see a drop of rain. I'm fortunate enough to have a daily driver. Anal about perfection or what not, just don't let it deter you from enjoying it and driving it as much as you can. For some, including myself, cleaning is all part of the fun.

P.s. - I swear, birds aim for red...

-Josh

I wash mine at least once a year outside in a light rain, pull it back inside, dry it off and crank up the dehumidifier, works great. I got caught in the rain twice while driving and it was a PITA to clean the bottom. Never say never, but I sure hope not to get caught driving in the rain again.

And it does seem some birds aim for red.

Archived