TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Faux Gas Cap - Satin Finish

Heads-up...

I like the satin finish better than the chrome; however, I plan on using the berg cobra instead of the tiffany.... I already bought one for $18 including shipping. Every other seller is much higher !

Incredible price here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RACING...=item439ae43e89

post-14593-1256188063_thumb.jpg

The black center GT emblem has a slight rounded curve to it or this is the way it is on my Ford chrome center faux gas cap emblem. This is a picture of a foil flat SGT/BJ emblem that is just attached over the black GT emblem. Doesn't look to bad, but not sure about the longevity of a stick on, the original from Shelby that had been in the Arizona sun had faded out from red to a light gold color in the center Barrett Jackson letters. A new disk was created by MTM Unlimited, but I could not figure out how to get the center GT emblem out without tearing up the Ford chrome deck emblem holder.

GG

That's what I have too but I paid twice as much $40. Great price. I am not sure if the SGT Berg Cobra emblem will go over that emblem though as the Tiffany Cobra is not a flat surface like the GT tail emblem.

So here is what I'm thinking about the mod:

1. Remove the Tiffany Cobra emblem without scratching the cap : this is probably the hard part.

2. Attach a flat metal circle or washer with the exact diameter and depth of an original GT emblem : 3M tape of course.

3. Attach the Berg Cobra emblem over the washer.

I hope this works !!

It's really too bad that the Berg Cobra emblem is not "raised" like the Tiffany Cobra.

Heads-up...

I like the satin finish better than the chrome; however, I plan on using the berg cobra instead of the tiffany.... I already bought one for $18 including shipping. Every other seller is much higher !

Incredible price here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RACING...=item439ae43e89

What the hell...I just ordered me a second one for insurance/souvenier...that price is impossible to beat ! :happy feet:

Hey Rush,

Good move on the second emblem order, remember peters principal. That center piece is an absolute pain to do without tearing up the chrome holder. Good luck, let you know how I do with mine when MTM gets it and takes a shoot at removing it.

GG

I have the same one that's on ebay. Looks like a lot of patience to remove that cobra. Good luck.

A good set of needlenose pliers working from the inside out should do the trick. At least I hope so ;)

OK, I got the Tiffany cobra cap off without damaging the rest of the faux cap. :happy feet:

The trick is to drill a good sized hole dead center on the snake. This will give you a hollow cavity beneath to stick a large screwdriver in and twist/pry off the cap. The cap is glued on with some kind of silicon based glue on either side of the cobra. Be sure and use a small towel to protect the perimeter finish while you are prying and twisting the screwdriver.

Now I need to find a 3" diameter, 1/8" thick disk to host the berg emblem. I'm thinking about using two mini-CDs. :headscratch: Actually, decided to use 1/8" aluminum instead.

OK, I got the Tiffany cobra cap off without damaging the rest of the faux cap. :happy feet:

The trick is to drill a good sized hole dead center on the snake. This will give you a hollow cavity beneath to stick a large screwdriver in and twist/pry off the cap. The cap is glued on with some kind of silicon based glue on either side of the cobra. Be sure and use a small towel to protect the perimeter finish while you are prying and twisting the screwdriver.

Now I need to find a 3" diameter, 1/8" thick disk to host the berg emblem. I'm thinking about using two mini-CDs. :headscratch:

Mike with mtmunlimed is doing the same procedure for me in the morning, I'm not sure if he is drilling a large hole and prying like you did. That chrome scratches very easy and I screwed up a second new one, figured it was time to have a professional do mine.

If you watch my posts, you know I believe in peters principal, I sent him two more new ones, just in case.

Let us know how yours does and I'll post a pic of mine.

GG

Mike with mtmunlimed is doing the same procedure for me in the morning, I'm not sure if he is drilling a large hole and prying like you did. That chrome scratches very easy and I screwed up a second new one, figured it was time to have a professional do mine.

If you watch my posts, you know I believe in peters principal, I sent him two more new ones, just in case.

Let us know how yours does and I'll post a pic of mine.

GG

I decided to use 1/8" aluminum 3" diameter for the berg emblem to attach to. Heading to the machine shop right now. Will post pix later.

OK, the machine shop is charging $15 per disk. I'm buying two. I have enough aluminum to make 4 additional disks; if anyone else interested, let me know.

I also went with the satin cap. Here is my finished satin cap.

That does look great ! I can't wait to get mine finished ! :drool:

What did you use for the plate that the emblem attaches too ?

Okay So I'm dying to get one of the Shelby GT ones (with the Shelby GT logo of course) Are we pretty much just making this on our own or did I understand you right Rush when you said you were selling them...cause I'll definately buy one.

Okay So I'm dying to get one of the Shelby GT ones (with the Shelby GT logo of course) Are we pretty much just making this on our own or did I understand you right Rush when you said you were selling them...cause I'll definately buy one.

I have a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet metal; enough to make four more 3" disks that can be used with the satin faux gas cap once the Tiffany Cobra is removed. The Shelby GT emblem purchased from Shelby Automobiles will attach to the aluminum disk and the disk will attach to the satin faux gas cap. Or you can just use the current chrome faux gas cap and attach the Shelby GT emblem to the existing emblem. It just depends if you want the chrome faux gas cap or the satin. The satin requires some custom work because it comes with a raised Tiffany Cobra emblem that has to be removed.

The machine shop is charging me $15 per aluminum disk. If you want one, I can have them make an extra.

wow I just read all youall went thru I did this a year and a half ago but I put a GT emblem in place lol the things u can do with a dremel and RTV if your berg doesnt stick good use RTV it fills the gaps and holds super strong

DSC04595.jpg

Noticed your rear letters, they don't look bad at all, I'm staying stock though, a very nice touch....

GG

Believe it or not. I just filled it up with RTV

Just got the berg emblem in the mail... :happy feet:

Now if only the machine shop would get off their ass... :waiting:

Just got the berg emblem in the mail... :happy feet:

Now if only the machine shop would get off their ass... :waiting:

I dropped off the sheet metal last Friday; they said it'll be ready on Wednesday.....now they're saying next Tuesday :angry2:

Noticed your rear letters, they don't look bad at all, I'm staying stock though, a very nice touch....

GG

I just received a set in the mail. I'm a a little disappointed: they don't spell "GT/CS". They spell "S H E B L Y"! What kind of quality control is that! Picture them in the appropriate location in this view:

GTCSCblkWhlsRVWide_2109.jpg

Go on, tell me you don't like that faux cap treatment ...

GTCSCblkWhlsRVWide_2109.jpg

I just received a set in the mail. I'm a a little disappointed: they don't spell "GT/CS". They spell "S H E B L Y"! What kind of quality control is that! Picture them in the appropriate location in this view:

post-19142-1257552883_thumb.jpg

Go on, tell me you don't like that faux cap treatment ...

Hey, I love that black cap....I actually contemplated doing that to my SGT; however, did not want to deviate too far from original. Also, I wasn't too sure how it would look with the Silver Stripes. Looks great on all black paint scheme though !

• 3 weeks later...

Archived