TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Police cruisers no match for Shelby GT

inyadreems

Chase ends in Pontotoc County

Randy Mitchell Staff Writer

Galey — A man who eluded authorities several times Thursday was arrested after he allegedly tried to break into a home in northwest Pontotoc County.

Like the movie “Smokey and the Bandit” the man drove a fast car and outran police. Unlike the movie, which ended with a laugh, this scenario ended with a woman terrified for her family’s safety.

The multi-county pursuit reached high speeds before being called off after the man, Larry Phillip Yonge, 53, Ypsanti, Mich., eluded authorities somewhere near Roff.

After eluding the police, Yonge later reportedly drove through a fence, damaging the vehicle’s radiator. He drove the vehicle into the driveway of a residence near Galey just after sunset.

The homeowner — who would only speak on condition of anonymity — said she went to the door to see who it was.

She couldn’t identify the driver because of the darkness of night, but believed it was a relative whose car looks just like the one driven by Yonge.

“Then this guy gets out and I had my door open and he was telling me how he just ran through a fence going 80 miles an hour and his radiator was broken,” she said.

Yonge reportedly tried to force his way into her home. The woman slammed the door shut and her child used a phone to call family members.

The homeowner’s father was in a nearby pasture tending to livestock when he got the call and rushed to the residence. Her grandfather also arrived and they dealt with Yonge while the homeowner drove to another relative’s home to call 911.

“At first he just acted like he’d messed his car up,” the homeowner’s father, who also wished to remain anonymous, said. “We were trying to help him at first, then he started saying something about running from cops and this and that. Then he got kind of scary after that.”

They called central dispatch who sent deputies to the residence. When deputies arrived, they arrested Yonge on suspicion of first-degree burglary, driving in a manner not reasonable and proper, leaving the scene of an accident, and reckless driving.

The pursuit began when Pauls Valley Police attempted a traffic stop on Yonge’s vehicle. He fled and reportedly ditched authorities.

The cold pursuit heated up when Yonge was spotted in Stratford. Stratford police, along with Garvin County sheriff’s deputies, reportedly chased him into Pontotoc County.

The patrol cruisers were no match for the 2008 Ford Shelby Mustang GT driven by Yonge. He eluded the authorities just after entering Pontotoc County.

There was no information on why Yonge was in Oklahoma but he reportedly deputies at the scene he had mental issues and hadn’t taken his medicine in 30 days.

He is being held without bond until he goes before a judge. He has a hold placed on him for Pauls Valley police who have a felony warrant for eluding.

Shelby GT photo

Anything can outrun our Crown Vics :doh: We weigh down the car so much with all of our equipment (radio, lights, extra batteries, guns, and all the other crap in the trunk) it feels like they do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. I guess I should say I'm a CHP officer out here in the Bay Area, and I've never given an SGT a ticket :drool:

I've been pulled over three times in the SGT and never got a ticket. I wasn't doing anything too major, one time in Texas I was doing 5 mph over in a speed trap and second time time was here in MN and I was 10 mph over and the third time I was driving in Texas in the passing lane. All the times I got a warning.

The time I was going 10 over I had a few drinks earlier in the evening and he could smell it on me and asked me to take a breatherlyzer while I was sitting in the car. I passed and I certainly wasn't drunk so he just gave me a warning.

I think the police have respect for the Shelby's and as long as your not being too stupid they might just give a warning. If you have a Corvette you better pay up sucker. :hysterical:

I hope they don't confiscate his car. :shift: This guy I don't think is going to get a warning

Anything can outrun our Crown Vics :doh: We weigh down the car so much with all of our equipment (radio, lights, extra batteries, guns, and all the other crap in the trunk) it feels like they do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. I guess I should say I'm a CHP officer out here in the Bay Area, and I've never given an SGT a ticket :drool:

Well, I'm a SGT/SC driver in the Bay Area, so...... :happy feet: :hysterical:

This guy can't be a TS'er cuz none of us would run through a fence!

I hate to see an SGT used like this. If the guy truely has a medical condition I hope he recieves the care that is needed.

i hope they confiscate the vehicle and put it up on the auctioning block! ts member in the area keep your eyes open and your ears up we have a sgt to save!

Chase ends in Pontotoc County

Randy Mitchell Staff Writer

Galey — A man who eluded authorities several times Thursday was arrested after he allegedly tried to break into a home in northwest Pontotoc County.

Like the movie “Smokey and the Bandit” the man drove a fast car and outran police. Unlike the movie, which ended with a laugh, this scenario ended with a woman terrified for her family’s safety.

The multi-county pursuit reached high speeds before being called off after the man, Larry Phillip Yonge, 53, Ypsanti, Mich., eluded authorities somewhere near Roff.

After eluding the police, Yonge later reportedly drove through a fence, damaging the vehicle’s radiator. He drove the vehicle into the driveway of a residence near Galey just after sunset.

The homeowner — who would only speak on condition of anonymity — said she went to the door to see who it was.

She couldn’t identify the driver because of the darkness of night, but believed it was a relative whose car looks just like the one driven by Yonge.

“Then this guy gets out and I had my door open and he was telling me how he just ran through a fence going 80 miles an hour and his radiator was broken,” she said.

Yonge reportedly tried to force his way into her home. The woman slammed the door shut and her child used a phone to call family members.

The homeowner’s father was in a nearby pasture tending to livestock when he got the call and rushed to the residence. Her grandfather also arrived and they dealt with Yonge while the homeowner drove to another relative’s home to call 911.

“At first he just acted like he’d messed his car up,” the homeowner’s father, who also wished to remain anonymous, said. “We were trying to help him at first, then he started saying something about running from cops and this and that. Then he got kind of scary after that.”

They called central dispatch who sent deputies to the residence. When deputies arrived, they arrested Yonge on suspicion of first-degree burglary, driving in a manner not reasonable and proper, leaving the scene of an accident, and reckless driving.

The pursuit began when Pauls Valley Police attempted a traffic stop on Yonge’s vehicle. He fled and reportedly ditched authorities.

The cold pursuit heated up when Yonge was spotted in Stratford. Stratford police, along with Garvin County sheriff’s deputies, reportedly chased him into Pontotoc County.

The patrol cruisers were no match for the 2008 Ford Shelby Mustang GT driven by Yonge. He eluded the authorities just after entering Pontotoc County.

There was no information on why Yonge was in Oklahoma but he reportedly deputies at the scene he had mental issues and hadn’t taken his medicine in 30 days.

He is being held without bond until he goes before a judge. He has a hold placed on him for Pauls Valley police who have a felony warrant for eluding.

Shelby GT photo

Hey that was me !!! I used my alias and ran out of meds and painted my car blue!!!

Spread the word SGT's get a pass! :hysterical:

SGT's must be causing the drivers to go crazy!! The following link happened in Houston on Sunday...Driver got SHOT

http://www.click2houston.com/video/21420947/index.html

Fer crying out loud............And they both had to be the 08 VB SGT. Cops will be looking hard everytime they see a VB Mustang.

I bet if he had a black one, he would have been able to outrun them and get away....

I think that someone should buy that car and not fix the bullet holes, on the auction block in 2050, one of one due to a police shoot out :)

And what section of the highway do you patrol? : ) The Nevada guys have gotten me 3 times and they say they recognize the car by the big # on the hood.

Mike

And what section of the highway do you patrol? : ) The Nevada guys have gotten me 3 times and they say they recognize the car by the big # on the hood.

Mike

I'm in the Bay Area here in California, so if your around Castro Valley,Hayward, or San Leandro you should be safe.

• 1 month later...

Archived