TEAM SHELBY FORUM

roll bar install

This reminds me of the 'cosmetic' roll bar that Shelby and Raceskinz are now offering as part of their rear seat delete kit.

I really don't understand the idea of a 'cosmetic' bar. :headscratch:

If you're going to go to all the trouble of installing any roll bar, why not go with the one that might actually keep the roof away from your face?

Ken

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A great example of what a poorly designed roll bar will yield for protection... NONE!

The Griggs roll bar attaches to the bulkhead that front of the rear seat attaches to, it runs across the floor in between the B pillars and attaches to the frame rails.

According to the article below, the bar in the TulsaFX car was an Autopower piece.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredv..._number_12.html

Colin

Colin,

Let's get that Griggs roll bar in my car before I'm 1 foot shorter!

Dana

Colin,

I have ditched the idea of having it removable; watched too many video of rollovers thanks to Ken.

Dana

Sorry man! But I'm glad you're thinking of getting the bar installed in your vert. That thing is scary fast for any car, let alone one with NO roof! :lol:

Sorry man! But I'm glad you're thinking of getting the bar installed in your vert. That thing is scary fast for any car, let alone one with NO roof! :lol:

I have the Griggs Roll Bar in my car. It bolts up by about 9 different factory bolt locations on each side on the floor board in conjunction with the A-Pillars.

Must have. After watching the videos and the heads flying around, I am purchasing a HANS device in the next two weeks.

I want to watch my kids grow up! This is reality.

The Auto Power system is a basis to start with. It needs to be installed and engineered into the chassis for safety compliance as well additional chassis rigidity.

I'll be adding down bars to the rear shock towers along with an X-Brace to my Griggs. Added support.

Protect your squash, you need it so you can continue to go faster.

Colin,

I have ditched the idea of having it removable; watched too many video of rollovers thanks to Ken.

Dana

Dana,

It can always be removed if you sell the car or decide that you want it removed. But man I would love to see you out at the track and I have a feeling that you're going to have that car for a long time. I'll call you this week.

Colin

These was an eye opener for me, I know I will have a 4-point in my SGT before I return to the track in 2010...

RUMOR IS, THAT IT WAS AN AUTOPOWER BAR and mounted to the sheet metal floorboard with plates on both sides. I would feel much better with a roll bar that mounts like the one on the left vs the Autopower Bar on the right.

mm_vs_ap.jpg

2 time's in one year-

Oddly enough this is the same limited edition (1 of 100) Roush Trak Pak that was totaled last April at Birmingham during the MCA 45th @ Barber Vintage Motorsport Park event.

Photos from April:

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Photo from October:

mcrash02.jpg

Here's the story posted by the original owner about the latest Trak Pak wreck:

"The car was the one I wrecked in Birmingham. Car FX now owns the car, they repainted it Grabber Blue, and gutted the interior, dropped in a 625 HP motor. It was a monster!!! Russell was running in the 1:27 range on lap times.

Russell was driving. It may have been caused by a hung throttle. People who were present said the front brakes were locked up & the rear tires were burning rubber. I have ridden with Russell many times. My bet is a mechanical problem as the cause.

God decided it wasn’t their time! Friday night Russell moved the harness attachment from the back seat brackets to the harness bar. The roll bar was reinforced with steel plates top & bottom of floor pan. The force was great enough to punch a square hole through the floor pan. What saved their lives was moving the harness attachment to the harness bar. When the roll bar punched through the floor the straps pulled the boys down & bent the seat back. As luck would have it they were both on the short side and this kept them from breaking their neck or backs. The first thing Russell said to me was I need your car in the shop so we can make sure your's doesn't punch thtough the floor!"

Kerry, that is absolutely bananas! Thanks for the history lesson on that Roush though. Very interesting info for sure.

Ok so I've been looking at everyone's installs and have a question. For those that have a crossbar on a four point bar, is the back seat still usable if the crossbar is removable? It looks to me like it is, just not easily.

All of them that I've seen in person have that crossbeam welded into place. In that case, the back seat is not usable.

However, it may be worth a call to Griggs to see if there's anyway to make that center pipe bolted in instead of welded.

That car has a curse!

Exactly what I just thought! I'd crush what's left of it and say good riddance.

Ken

All of them that I've seen in person have that crossbeam welded into place. In that case, the back seat is not usable.

However, it may be worth a call to Griggs to see if there's anyway to make that center pipe bolted in instead of welded.

Exactly what I just thought! I'd crush what's left of it and say good riddance.

Ken

It would be nice to be able to use the back seat in between track days.

I'm not normally superstitious but I don't think I would even use any parts off that car...

It would be nice to be able to use the back seat in between track days.

I'm not normally superstitious but I don't think I would even use any parts off that car...

speak for your self ill take the engine please!!!! 625hp you say??? dont mind if i do! :hysterical:

honestly though it was only a matter of time i know russel and they really really pushed the limits with that car! i cant wait to see what he builds next. :shift:

2 time's in one year-

Oddly enough this is the same limited edition (1 of 100) Roush Trak Pak that was totaled last April at Birmingham during the MCA 45th @ Barber Vintage Motorsport Park event.

Here's the story posted by the original owner about the latest Trak Pak wreck:

"The car was the one I wrecked in Birmingham. Car FX now owns the car, they repainted it Grabber Blue, and gutted the interior, dropped in a 625 HP motor. It was a monster!!! Russell was running in the 1:27 range on lap times.

Russell was driving. It may have been caused by a hung throttle. People who were present said the front brakes were locked up & the rear tires were burning rubber. I have ridden with Russell many times. My bet is a mechanical problem as the cause.

God decided it wasn’t their time! Friday night Russell moved the harness attachment from the back seat brackets to the harness bar. The roll bar was reinforced with steel plates top & bottom of floor pan. The force was great enough to punch a square hole through the floor pan. What saved their lives was moving the harness attachment to the harness bar. When the roll bar punched through the floor the straps pulled the boys down & bent the seat back. As luck would have it they were both on the short side and this kept them from breaking their neck or backs. The first thing Russell said to me was I need your car in the shop so we can make sure your's doesn't punch thtough the floor!"

That was damn lucky but I think it would have worked much better if the "roll bar" had not punched through the floor! :doh:

Archived