TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2010 GT500 Steering Wheel - Wiring?!?!?

Man that does look good. keep it up and hopefully you can figure out how to make the music work. How long did it take you to swap?

Thanks; it only took a few minutes to swap out the steering wheels once the old connector was spliced on. Splicing will take 15 to 30 minutes with the data provided above. I recommend soldering the wires together then insulating them. Using crimp type couplers makes it hard to bend the wiring to connect the wheel connector on the car although not impossible. Just leave plenty of slack when you cut off the original connectors.

Before removing the airbag assembly, disconnect the battery. Remove the covers then the bolts on each side. Use two screwdrivers on each side through the bolt access holes simultaneously to prop the tabs holding the airbag assembly off. Be careful not to drop it as the two airbag wires may be damaged. These two wires are easy to disconnect on the airbag side. To remove the steering wheel, you'll need a 15/16" socket with extender. Use a cordless drill with impact settings to easily remove the bolt counterclockwise. A wheel puller is NOT necessary; the steering wheel slides right off ! :)

The steering wheel looks amazing. I sat in the showroom in a new 500 holding this wheel and was amazed at the feel of the suede. Very nice.

I did notice that the 500 emblem and airbag was not included in your purchase. Could that have been purchased as well and for how much if so?? Seems like that would have been the crowning touch.

The steering wheel looks amazing. I sat in the showroom in a new 500 holding this wheel and was amazed at the feel of the suede. Very nice.

I did notice that the 500 emblem and airbag was not included in your purchase. Could that have been purchased as well and for how much if so?? Seems like that would have been the crowning touch.

I think the airbag would cost quite a bit more; probably at least 200. However, I'm going with the Berg Snake theme for my car. The Tiffany Snake on the 2010 GT-500 is very cool.

• 9 months later...

Finished installing the 2010 GT-500 Steering Wheel !! :happy feet:

I had to use the connector from the old steering wheel and the harness from the new one.

Cruise Control Splicing:

Old Connector >>> New Harness:

white >>> gray

blue >>> brown

red >>> red (pwr)

green >>> black (gnd)

The resistance between the new harness gray and brown wires is as follows as each button is pushed:

OFF = 0 ohms

ON = 1500 ohms

RESUME = 1000 ohms

SET (-) = 300 ohms

SET (+) = 600 ohms

Music Controls: (I don't have these working yet; however, this is the resistance between the new harness green and purple wires as each button is pushed)

Music Icon = 510 ohms

VOL (-) = 50 ohms

VOL (+) = 120 ohms

|<< = 335 ohms

>>| = 210 ohms

Phone Controls: (I don't have these working yet; however, this is the resistance between the new harness yellow and blue wires as each button is pushed)

Speaker Icon = 50 ohms

OK = 335 ohms

Phone Icon = 510 ohms

There is a 2nd connector receptacle on the steering wheel hub that may come in handy for the music and phone control wiring. Standby as I look further into this.

OK, about the music controls....yes the spare connector receptacle on the clock spring can be used :)

You'll need two of these pigtails for the spare slots on the clock spring: Motorcraft WPT-440. I bought them on www.crownmotorsredding.com but check Amazon 1st. One will be connected to the controls on the steering wheel, the other to the Nav unit, J1 pins 18, 19 (SWC+, SWC-). Only two wires should be necessary unless your Nav unit has Bluetooth inputs, you'll use four wires.

Note: I have not wired this yet and the Nav unit may require programming. I'm not making any guarantees that this will work but I'm confident it will for the music controls. Sorry it's taken so long; been busy...

post-23984-024964700 1287795401_thumb.jpg

post-23984-093248100 1287795526_thumb.jpg

post-23984-024964700 1287795401_thumb.jpg

post-23984-093248100 1287795526_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK, about the music controls....yes the spare connector receptacle on the clock spring can be used :)

You'll need two of these pigtails for the spare slots on the clock spring: Motorcraft WPT-440. I bought them on www.crownmotorsredding.com but check Amazon 1st. One will be connected to the controls on the steering wheel, the other to the Nav unit, J1 pins 18, 19 (SWC+, SWC-). Only two wires should be necessary unless your Nav unit has Bluetooth inputs, you'll use four wires.

Note: I have not wired this yet and the Nav unit may require programming. I'm not making any guarantees that this will work but I'm confident it will for the music controls. Sorry it's taken so long; been busy...

Well, I finally wired up the audio controls to my NAV unit which does need to be programmed. I finally got a hold of someone that knows how !!! :happy feet:

I sent it off today.

Well, I finally wired up the audio controls to my NAV unit which does need to be programmed. I finally got a hold of someone that knows how !!! :happy feet:

I sent it off today.

:woohoo:

:banvictory:

I got the reprogrammed NAV unit back ! The 2010 GT-500 steering wheel audio controls are now functional ! SWC Pod Type was reprogrammed to "5 button switch" and SWC was reprogrammed to "H/W". I'll have to live without phone controls since my NAV will not support it.

:happy feet:

Archived