TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RIPOFF at > $38K

wildcat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! a few feathers ruffled on this one. If Mr. Shelby hadn't had a hand in the GT 500 it wouldn't exist. My opinion, its a Shelby dispite the production location and arrangement. The Shelby GT? Im glad to see any kind of variation of the retro stang, but am disapointed the GT HP was limited and the price was not! With so many wanting the GT500 and not able to get one it would have been nice to comprimise with a 400 plus hp version of something. I would have expected to see a Boss at that price.

Let's be realistic.

For anyone to justify spending $38k on this car - they'd have to intend on keeping it for 30-40 years.

You can upgrade a regular GT to similar specs for probably $7-8k less.

....Exactly. Mine will be willed to my son. I fully respect anybody's choice for a driving car. I'm only about 7 pages into RUFS ride thread and it is a very cool car. For me the dream is a Shelby; I'll pay for it, drive it and keep it.

....Exactly. Mine will be willed to my son. I fully respect anybody's choice for a driving car. I'm only about 7 pages into RUFS ride thread and it is a very cool car. For me the dream is a Shelby; I'll pay for it, drive it and keep it.

I agree, but I would drive it. Let's face it: It has the same MSRP as a Roush....but they discount the Roush. Yeah, the price is a little steep, but the mystique is there.....and it's no rip-off, IMO. Hand-assembly & mods never are, no matter who's doing it.

Mystique? Carroll isn't bolting on the parts!

Any mods are "hand assembled." How else would they get installed?

Like I said - pay the money if you want - that's your business.

Me? I'll be selling mine in 2-3 years for a new one. So - to me - money is the bottom line.

I don't think Carroll personally trains his "techs" in Vegas.

But - in the year 2047, your Shelby GT will probably be worth some serious bread.

I'll be long gone, baby :hysterical2:

I would not go so far as to call it a rip-off. This is one of those cars where the name and lineage makes a difference.

Having said that, the S-GT is very different from the GT500 in terms of placing a value on it. With the GT500, if you want that performance, you really can't build one for less even with the ADM. However, unlike the GT500, the S-GT is a Mustang GT with some minor cosmetic upgrades and off the shelf Ford Racing parts kits. Given the price of a S-GT, you could build one for less and since Ford will warranty the Ford Racing parts if installed and delivered with the car, you really don't lose anything going that route. There's nothing exclusive about the Shelby from a purely mechanical standpoint, but, the built GT still wouldn't be a Shelby. So it really comes down to what value you place on the name.

Some people want the most HP/$, so the S-GT really isn't for them. Others want more than just what can be measured on the dyno and track - this is who the car is being marketed to. It's like fine art - most people can't tell the difference between a good fake and the original, however, the original is still worth more to those who can appreciate it, and not because of what can be seen, but because of how and by whose hands it came into being (the fact that Carroll doesn't turn the wrenches is irrelevant, his company does and that's enough).

Let's be realistic.

For anyone to justify spending $38k on this car - they'd have to intend on keeping it for 30-40 years.

You can upgrade a regular GT to similar specs for probably $7-8k less.

yeah and lets be realistic.

1. you upgrade a GT on your own, its value goes to shiit. Don't kid yourself and think the Shelby GT will depreciate anywhere near the same rate. It will to some degree, but not at the rate of a stock GT driven off the lot, and much less than anyone who mods a GT. This is especially important should you need money due to some unforeseen circumstance...you see tools on ebay trying to get 40k out of a modded GT and it just aint happening.

2.nobody really plans on keeping a stock GT for long.

3. base prices for 2006 Roush and 2006 Saleen's are right at 38-40k for similar performance, and probably I'm guessing slightly less handling capabilities....add to the fact that you can by a 40k roush or saleen for every model yr, the Shelby GT is a pretty good value. even better when you compare it to a more expensive stage 2 roush. Add a supercharger to the GT and you are coming in significantly less that Saleen and Roush stage 3. The only better cost value for a SC mustang is the Roush 427 which you can get for around 43k w/o looking too hard.

07's for both base level model saleen and roush are over 40K

I won't even get into the Foose mustangs and others that sell for 40K w/o any performance upgrades whatsoever.

so really I don't see what the bitching is all about in the pricing. When was the last time Shelby touched a mustang you could actually buy new?? :headspin:

When it all shakes out, I don't thing that $36,970 is a bad deal.....you could spend the same money on a Roush...but you know the value on the Shelby will hold better over the years. Talking MSRP to MSRP, of course...

Guys, I hope you don't mind me responding here, but I thought I would just say, I appreciate the protection, but not to worry, you all have a right to your opinions. I amjust overly careful when member mention lawsuits and such, but feedback and opinions good or bad are always welcome. Please dont make the Shelby section all suger and spice...lol

On this topic, in many ways I agree, but there was no way to get it lower, I tried. The gas guzzler tax, the shipping is enormous, parts labor etc. We did the best we could. And I placed this against the competion. You can buy a roush and saleen stage 1 with no power at 40k+. So, we don't have as many asthetics, but we do have some power. And it's a shelby, built in Las Vegas.

So, with all that, we were ok. I wish it could have been better, but over all as many have said, you will buy this car because it reminds you of a shelby you couldn't have, it reminds you of a shelby your dad had or wanted, or in my case it reminds me of the only other car I ever wanted besides a Chevelle. :)

When you lust after a memory the price is secondary. Buy the Shelby Gt because it makes you feel good and not for any other reason, or you will be disappointed. I have bought many cars, and have had many say "I was Crazy" but I never looked back. ever......

On a final note controversy is a good thing, what else would we talk about if all agreed :)

Amy

Guys, I hope you don't mind me responding here, but I thought I would just say, I appreciate the protection, but not to worry, you all have a right to your opinions. I amjust overly careful when member mention lawsuits and such, but feedback and opinions good or bad are always welcome. Please dont make the Shelby section all suger and spice...lol

On this topic, in many ways I agree, but there was no way to get it lower, I tried. The gas guzzler tax, the shipping is enormous, parts labor etc. We did the best we could. And I placed this against the competion. You can buy a roush and saleen stage 1 with no power at 40k+. So, we don't have as many asthetics, but we do have some power. And it's a shelby, built in Las Vegas.

So, with all that, we were ok. I wish it could have been better, but over all as many have said, you will buy this car because it reminds you of a shelby you couldn't have, it reminds you of a shelby your dad had or wanted, or in my case it reminds me of the only other car I ever wanted besides a Chevelle. :)

When you lust after a memory the price is secondary. Buy the Shelby Gt because it makes you feel good and not for any other reason, or you will be disappointed. I have bought many cars, and have had many say "I was Crazy" but I never looked back. ever......

On a final note controversy is a good thing, what else would we talk about if all agreed :)

Amy

We could talk about spelling....

Suger

Sugar :idea:

???

:hysterical2:

Watch out Amy, we have several school teachers here on this site. SCGT is one of them. He has been holding back on you, but you just opened up the door for him with that post. He now has you pegged as fair game. Be careful hun, he'll get you everytime. :stats:

Mystique? Carroll isn't bolting on the parts!

Any mods are "hand assembled." How else would they get installed?

Like I said - pay the money if you want - that's your business.

Me? I'll be selling mine in 2-3 years for a new one. So - to me - money is the bottom line.

I don't think Carroll personally trains his "techs" in Vegas.

But - in the year 2047, your Shelby GT will probably be worth some serious bread.

I'll be long gone, baby :hysterical2:

What things in life do you feel should be done by an individual (yourself) vs. paying someone else to make, build or assemble something you want RUF?

If I had an additional 10 to 20 hrs a week to work on cars I would do it myself, but I don't & if I can afford something that is already done, certified & will be more valueable in the future, I'm going to buy it & drive it vs. making my own car (been their & done that enough)

All I was doing was comparing bang for the buck -

The value one puts on the name on the side of the car is very subjective.

If the S-GT came with an exclusive engine, for example, I could better understand the cost.

Not in a bajillion years (save the spell check, SCGT500, I know it's not a real word).

Do you know what it costs to certify an engine? Big bucks. They tweaked a GT/CS, and believe me, that keeps the car from reaching stratospheric pricing that would be required with a one-off engine.

I like the car, you don't. No biggie. A little steep--yes. A rip-off? You could do alot worse. I think it's definitely a cooler car than the Roush, for about the same money.

And yes-- it's a Shelby, and that don't hurt. Me, at least. I could go on with some long-winded diatribe, but I think I already did (see previous posts). And I don't mind if we all have a difference of opinions....diversity brings new ideas to the table, and that's a good thing.

Archived