TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Quarter window covers

OK, next mod on my to-do list was to add some quarter window covers... ordered a set in silver and mocked them up to see how they looked....

8835_1226857441380_1527364323_594835_1859166_n.jpg

8835_1226857361378_1527364323_594833_6517205_n.jpg

I knew before I bought them I was likely going to paint them up to be very similar to Roger's car... keeping the rivets aluminum was a bigger task than I thought it'd be.... but i'm happy now!

8835_1227553098771_1527364323_596244_7218202_n.jpg

and a pic of them installed, but not really a great pic to see how they look, sorry!

6933_1236470121691_1527364323_621042_5841238_n.jpg

NOW, after just a couple weeks, the passenger side is already loose towards the back even though there seemed to be a TON of double sided tape under them... not in danger of flying off loose, but it wiggles more than i'd like while washing it... I have to assume pulling it back off will bend it to hell... anybody have experience with removing them or am I just stuck with a semi loose cover?

The first ones made back in the day had just enough tape to hold them in place, they were easily removed. The new ones come with a bang load of tape but I still added more when installing my new ones. I would not recommend removing them, you will wad them up as I did with my second set. Hence the reason for buying the third set.

Why did you not just buy the black ones so you did not have to paint them??

Chris

didn't even notice them on your car as I wrote that last reply, the other pics i've seen of the satin covers i didn't care that much for, but they look really good w/ the decals you've added!

Thanx, I really like them, I like them so much better than I did when I had the silver ones on the car.

I seriously would not mess with them, I found the first ones where also a little more ridgid. They really give an "R" model look to the car.

Chris

Running some piano wire underneath to cut the tape may work, but its a crap-shoot.

That is exactly how I got the first set off. I also tried to remove the second set for the drivers side after I stuck it on crooked, and dicked it up. Wound up throwing it across the room, after trying to fix it for 30 minutes, got pissed and threw it, straight through my sheetrock wall. After I got done fixing the wall and buying another set, I now have about 300.00 in them. The new ones have way too much tape on the back double what the first set had.

Chris

Oh, you discovered the ancient Chinese weapon called the Quarterken or "Shelby Quarter Window Throwing Cover". The much lesser known cousin to the Japanese Shuriken or "Ninja Throwing Star". For obvious reasons it never really caught on in the Ninja community.

:tease:

hell yes, that bad boy flew perfect. Bent like hell in my hands, but indeed one dangerous weapon when thrown. Good thing I was in the house when I threw it not in the garage, I would have died if it would have hit my car. :ninja:

Chris

Mine left the SAI factory installed and painted. As with yours my passenger side lifted on the corner but I left alone. It cracked a tiny piece of paint and last year Gary Paterson suggested I ask for a relacement but I looked at it as "that's how SAI did it so I'm leaving it as is."

I recomend to anyone as I did to Roger when he did his - prebend them before installing so they mold/fit against the windows better. Or at least the first version needed this. I also suggested this to Scott Drake and team at 85 CSBB so hopefully the new ones fit better.

Chris that looks much better.

they don't seem to be pulling away from the window much at all, barely any pressure puts it back flush to the window, so aside from better tape i'm not sure what else could have been done to fix it... might see if i can sneak some epoxy under that edge to give it some grip to say put...

Oh, you discovered the ancient Chinese weapon called the Quarterken or "Shelby Quarter Window Throwing Cover". The much lesser known cousin to the Japanese Shuriken or "Ninja Throwing Star". For obvious reasons it never really caught on in the Ninja community.

:tease:

:hysterical:

it's been about 2 weeks since i put them on, so shouldn't be too bad... but the tape didn't stick either! oh well, cheap and easy to try it!

Mine have been on for almost a year now and I haven't had any issue at all. I think that these covers are about the most dramatic styling mod you can make to the car without mucking up the look of the SGT. The R model look is about the baddest look there was for the classic fastbacks, so why not give it a go with the new ones? :shift:

Ken

Archived