TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2 cameros, a z28, trans am and a lesson from a gt500

TexasShelby

I don't approve of street racing in urban areas...but where I live, there is miles of open road that many times troopers pass me doing a hundred when i'm doing 90 and wave....with that said...

yesterday afternoon late I decided to cruise over pick me up some of my favorite take out and head back to watch a little tube and chill before the flight today. I did just that, but when coming home I got into a pack of a couple modded cameros, a really strong z28 and a trans am all getting on our loop north of town, they surrounded me and started hounding me...they were all kids in there daddy bought toys, so I just do as I always do and comically laugh where they can see me and shake my head no.

We got out of town in no traffic and they wouldn't turn loose, then the Z28 (obviously the best running one of the bunch runs up at 60 and keeps popping his front end up and down...for about a mile....well, with my spicy chicken getting cold, I decided sometimes it's better to teach a child a lesson, so I did.

After a mile of this crap of popping his frontend up and down at 60, I looked over and waited till he looked me in the eyes, I then downshifted into second and left him by about 10 car lengths, by the time I was in forth at over 110 he and his buds were a mere spot in my mirror, I flipped a bitch and headed back to town and they followed hot on my tail...thinking it might get ugly, I pulled over into a parking lot and stopped, they all pulled up and got out (all except mr. z28). The kids all came over and were completely taken back by the absolutely acceleration (obviously they were used to running Mustang GTs, and that's common out here in the desert)...I smiled and told them it wasn't a GT, it was a GT500 and explained the difference.

Finally the boy in the Z28 came over and told all his friends that it wasn't fair, that I jumped him when he was letting off...I just smiled, pulled 5 crisp hundred dollar bills out of my pocket and said, would it be worth it to you to be sure I got the jump on you, or would you like to leave it just as it is, that you got your young ass smoked by an old man...didn't matter to me, he could take all the time he wants to get the money together...money talks, BS walks...his friends all said they would chip in and let's see...I smiled and said, tell you what, you bring it, and I'll keep what I think I beat you by, if it was that bad this time, I'll take everyone's money, if not, you can all split mine and go have a good time...

Damn it I hated to take those poor kids money...but I smiled and told them they needed to learn their food chain when they are out messing around and think they are the top of the hill....one said as he handed over his $80 that he had a friend that had a Z06 that would smoke me...I laughed and said, you're right, but I'm not dumb enough to race him.

About $9 in gas, $11 of cold spicy Popeyes chicken, and $500 in my pocket... I finally got back the a$$ whoopin I got when I was 17 in my Goat against an old beat up '57 nomad that happen to be an old guy that taught me the same lesson (later on he me built a small block that I ruled with in a '55 I had, we were friends for years). Priceless

About $9 in gas, $11 of cold spicy Popeyes chicken, and $500 in my pocket... I finally got back the a$$ whoopin I got when I was 17 in my Goat against an old beat up '57 nomad that happen to be an old guy that taught me the same lesson (later on he me built a small block that I ruled with in a '55 I had, we were friends for years). Priceless

Beware of '57 Chevy's. They are kind of like 65 Galaxies. :)

Lets hear more anout the second race where you were paid $500 for being a good teacher. Did you go back to the country and race from a dead start and how long was it for?

Sounds like fun

Yes it was, and a fresh paved section (very little loss of traction). I let off somewhere after a third of a mile and there was no way he could catch me, by the time I was in forth and still pulling away very easily, I shut it down. We had probably about a 5 miles stretch where we could have gone on if it had been close. On a good deal of our "Farm to Market" or "Ranch Roads" we have 2 wide lanes and then almost enough asphault for two more lanes as "courtesy shoulders"...and flat, flat flat.

Two Lane Blacktop best movive ever made starring a 55 Chev. set up for 1/4 mile. Check it out if you have never seen it.

Yes, great movie, and can you believe that was JAMES TAYLOR (the singer/songwriter) acting and cussing as one of the stars of the film? I hardly recognized him with hair.

Anyway....

Terrific story!

Archived