TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for those who have put a tune in their car.

skipm

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing that we gain that much from just a tune and I was a little skeptical at first. However, once I saw it for myself on the dyno I now know it's 100% true. No need to BS anyone here. Our results that I posted above were done on the same dyno, same day, 93 octane with a 45 minute cooldown between each pull. Nothing else changed on the car but the tune to gain the 49rwhp.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

What model downloader do you suggest?

What model downloader do you suggest?

SCT X3.. We've been using the X3 on our 2010 and it's worked out great. It's also the programmer we ship with all of our power packages.

Here's a short clip I made to show how easy it is to use an X3.

Thanks, Jared

Jared, I called yesterday and spoke with women cant remember her name maybe Wendy or Melissa ? but she said I would get only about 10 rearwheel hp depending on what custom tune I would get or maybe she misunderstood or I misunderstood her. But what I would like to know is if I order the

SCT X3 tuner say with the aggresive 93 octane when I get it, would all I have to do is plug it in and flash then I would get 40 to 50 rwhp or is it more to it then just plug and play.

Or would I have to start messing with all of these options below to gain the 40 to 50 rwhp.Or is it custom tuned from you already so I would not have to mess with all the the features below .

Some of the features I feel I could mess around with but like the wot adj,spark adj,might be a little out of my league.

User Adjustable Features:

• WOT Fuel Adjustment • Idle RPM

• Spark Adjustment • Transmission Shift Points

• Axle Ratio • Fuel Injector Size

• Tire Size - Rev / Mile • Air Intake Selection

• Cooling Fan Temps • Traction Control On / Off

• Rev / Speed Limiters • Two StepOn / Off RPM

Will wait on your response to make my decision

Thanks VJB

Jared, I called yesterday and spoke with women cant remember her name maybe Wendy or Melissa ? but she said I would get only about 10 rearwheel hp depending on what custom tune I would get or maybe she misunderstood or I misunderstood her. But what I would like to know is if I order the

SCT X3 tuner say with the aggresive 93 octane when I get it, would all I have to do is plug it in and flash then I would get 40 to 50 rwhp or is it more to it then just plug and play.

Or would I have to start messing with all of these options below to gain the 40 to 50 rwhp.Or is it custom tuned from you already so I would not have to mess with all the the features below .

Some of the features I feel I could mess around with but like the wot adj,spark adj,might be a little out of my league.

User Adjustable Features:

• WOT Fuel Adjustment • Idle RPM

• Spark Adjustment • Transmission Shift Points

• Axle Ratio • Fuel Injector Size

• Tire Size - Rev / Mile • Air Intake Selection

• Cooling Fan Temps • Traction Control On / Off

• Rev / Speed Limiters • Two StepOn / Off RPM

Will wait on your response to make my decision

Thanks VJB

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding as our aggressive 93 tune yielded us 49rwhp.

All you would need to tune your car like we did is purchase the programmer with the tune. Once you receive it plug it into your OBDII port under your dash and flash the car. That's it. You don't need to make any additional changes with the user adjustable features. It's all done by Jon before the tune is loaded onto the device.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding as our aggressive 93 tune yielded us 49rwhp.

All you would need to tune your car like we did is purchase the programmer with the tune. Once you receive it plug it into your OBDII port under your dash and flash the car. That's it. You don't need to make any additional changes with the user adjustable features. It's all done by Jon before the tune is loaded onto the device.

Thanks, Jared

I'm in California and the highest octane available to me is "reformulated" 91. (I think others in CA had located 93 octane at some stations, but I have yet to find it).

Would a tune be worthwhile?

Is there even a tune available for the CA market where 91 octane is the standard?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Hi Jared,

Can you explain what happens when someone just buys a programmer (with the Lund stock tune) then later buys additional mods (puller, idler, intake tube, etc)? Can they then just buy the corresponding Lund tune from you and load it via the already purchased programmer?

Also, does the SCT X3 allow you to download/store the factory tune on additional media? I would hate to lose it due to the X3 failing somehow.

Thanks,

DaFreak

Thanks, Jared

I'm in California and the highest octane available to me is "reformulated" 91. (I think others in CA had located 93 octane at some stations, but I have yet to find it).

Would a tune be worthwhile?

Is there even a tune available for the CA market where 91 octane is the standard?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Pockdog,

We do offer a 91 octane tune for customer that don't have access to 93. It will still yield you good gains but it's just not as aggressive as the 93 tune. You should still see around a 25-30rwhp gain with the 91 octane tune.

Thanks, Jared

Hi Jared,

Can you explain what happens when someone just buys a programmer (with the Lund stock tune) then later buys additional mods (puller, idler, intake tube, etc)? Can they then just buy the corresponding Lund tune from you and load it via the already purchased programmer?

Also, does the SCT X3 allow you to download/store the factory tune on additional media? I would hate to lose it due to the X3 failing somehow.

Thanks,

DaFreak

DaFreak,

When you purchase the device from us we send it with 1 custom tune file specific for your current modifications. At a later date if you wish to add other parts that require a retune you can purchase the re-tune from us or directly from Jon for $100.00. At that point either one of us will email the tune and you'll use the X3/Livewire updater to upload the tune onto the device.

To answer your other question about saving the stock tune to your computer it can indeed be done. It's actually pretty easy. Just use the same X3/Livewire updater that you use to load the tune onto the device and choose the option "Get Stock File From Device". Then just save it on your desktop and you're all set.

Thanks, Jared

Pockdog,

We do offer a 91 octane tune for customer that don't have access to 93. It will still yield you good gains but it's just not as aggressive as the 93 tune. You should still see around a 25-30rwhp gain with the 91 octane tune.

Thanks, Jared

DaFreak,

When you purchase the device from us we send it with 1 custom tune file specific for your current modifications. At a later date if you wish to add other parts that require a retune you can purchase the re-tune from us or directly from Jon for $100.00. At that point either one of us will email the tune and you'll use the X3/Livewire updater to upload the tune onto the device.

To answer your other question about saving the stock tune to your computer it can indeed be done. It's actually pretty easy. Just use the same X3/Livewire updater that you use to load the tune onto the device and choose the option "Get Stock File From Device". Then just save it on your desktop and you're all set.

Thanks, Jared

Thanks for the feedback Jared.

Does the 91 Tune prevent the car from passing SmogCheck II as mandated every 2 years in CA?

If so, could you save off the Stock Tune, as you detail above, run the 91 Tune and then on "SmogCheck Day" re-install the Stock Tune, pass the test (hopefully) and then re-install the 91 Tune and drive on, until the next Smog Check, etc...

Is there a limit or number of times that you can install/uninstall/restore-to-stock tune the car?

Also, if each additional Tune can be purchased and e-mailed, could you create a "folder" of Tunes on the computer and then install them as needed?

Like say...

1) A Stock Tune (as a baseline)

2) A 91 Octane Tune (for better performance/fun)

3) A "Wife" or Valet Tune that limits the RPMs and the top speed, etc... (for safety or preventing abuse)

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Pockdog---i havent used the SCT device jared and you are discsussing but i think what youre asking is just to tkae out the tune before smog testing back to stcok, then put the tune back--youll do this once a year.Ive had tuner programs with handheld unit,in m case Hypertech, would hold thestock tune afetr youve installed the "custom:"tune.Then when id bring it inot the dealer,where outof niceness theyd update my stock re, id take the custom tune off the car and re-insatll the stock tune, Id do that at leats once a year.Think thats what you want,and i cant imagine not being ableo do that.And remember to dot he exhcage whenever you bring it in to the dealer

Thanks for the feedback Jared.

Does the 91 Tune prevent the car from passing SmogCheck II as mandated every 2 years in CA?

If so, could you save off the Stock Tune, as you detail above, run the 91 Tune and then on "SmogCheck Day" re-install the Stock Tune, pass the test (hopefully) and then re-install the 91 Tune and drive on, until the next Smog Check, etc...

Is there a limit or number of times that you can install/uninstall/restore-to-stock tune the car?

Also, if each additional Tune can be purchased and e-mailed, could you create a "folder" of Tunes on the computer and then install them as needed?

Like say...

1) A Stock Tune (as a baseline)

2) A 91 Octane Tune (for better performance/fun)

3) A "Wife" or Valet Tune that limits the RPMs and the top speed, etc... (for safety or preventing abuse)

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Pock,

Just like Torched said all you need to do in order to return your car back to stock is flash the computer with the stock tune which is kept on your device. It's a simple 5 minute procedure. The SCT X3 holds in addition to your stock file 3 custom tunes. So you can hold any 3 custom tunes on the device plus your stock tune at all times. Just flash the car with the tune you want and you're free to flash it with a different one at any time.

There's no limit on how many times you flash one car.

Thanks, Jared

OK Jared I put my order in for the tuner I;ll give it a shot.cant wait to try it out.

VJB

I saw the order come in just a little while ago. Thanks a bunch for your support.

Please email me the following to my personal email (jared@lethalperformance.com) and I'll get on it first thing in the AM.

1. Your Computer Code: Can be found on the computer which is located in the engine bay behind the passenger headlamp just next to the fuse box. It's a silver rectangle box with a white sticker on it. Your code should be a 4 digit combo. 3 letters and 1 number similar to GUF6 or GUF7

2. Octane Rating you'll be using (91, 93, 100)

3. List of mods. Ex. Headers, offroad pipe, gears, Intake. Anything that isn't stock we'd like to know about.

If there's anything else I need I'll email you back.

Thanks again!

Jared

Pock,

Just like Torched said all you need to do in order to return your car back to stock is flash the computer with the stock tune which is kept on your device. It's a simple five minute procedure. The SCT X3 holds, in addition to your stock file, 3 custom tunes. So you can hold any 3 custom tunes on the device plus your stock tune at all times. Just flash the car with the tune you want. Additionally, you're free to flash it with a different tune at any time.

There's no limit on how many times you can flash one car.

Thanks, Jared

Thanks Jared for the answers... still a few more questions!

Do you guys offer a A "Wife" or Valet Tune?

Do any of these Tunes harm the car in any way or shorten the life of any of the stock components?

Does using any of the tunes void the Ford factory warranty in any way?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

If you blow your engine and then take it to service and say " I had a tune in it " then most likely you'll be denied unless the dealer doesn't give a shit about procedure.

Increasing the power by any amount shortens the life of the engine.

I have asked them about the valet tune, it's no problem. Just ask for a tune limiting RPM to 3500 or something, 75% max throttle swing, and 65MPH.

Pockdog---I haven't used the SCT device Jared and you are discussing but I think what you're asking is just to take out the 91 Tune before smog testing back to stock, then put the 91 Tune back--you'll do this once a year. I've had tuner programs with handheld units, in my case Hypertech, which would hold the stock tune after you've installed the "custom" 91 Tune. Then when I'd bring it into the dealer, where out of niceness they'd update my stock tune.

I'd take the custom tune off the car and re-install the stock tune, I'd do that at least once a year. I think that's what you want, and I can't imagine not being able to do that. And remember to do the exchange whenever you bring it in to the dealer.

Torched10,

If I understand your reply correctly...

I'd bring it into the dealer, where out of niceness they'd update my stock tune.

I see that you used the word "update" instead of "re-install".

Are you saying that the Stock Tune is periodically updated by Ford, and that each time I take the car to the dealer for service, etc..., that they will install the upgraded version of the "Stock Tune" (if there is one) and that once I get the car back that I should download the new dealer-installed, upgraded version of the Stock Tune to the handheld device? This way the baseline Stock Tune that is now archived onto the handheld device is also the most current version of the Stock Tune just installed onto the car by the dealer?

So in effect, the baseline archive on the handheld is keeping pace with the upgraded Stock Tune installed by the dealer?

or

Did I misunderstand and there is no update to the Stock Tune. And in effect the Stock Tune from the factory never changes over the life of the vehicle and the Stock Tune installed on Day 1 is the same tune used on Day 517, Day 1,517, etc...?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Torched10,

If I understand your reply correctly...

I see that you used the word "update" instead of "re-install".

Are you saying that the Stock Tune is periodically updated by Ford, and that each time I take the car to the dealer for service, etc..., that they will install the upgraded version of the "Stock Tune" (if there is one) and that once I get the car back that I should download the new dealer-installed, upgraded version of the Stock Tune to the handheld device? This way the baseline Stock Tune that is now archived onto the handheld device is also the most current version of the Stock Tune just installed onto the car by the dealer?

So in effect, the baseline archive on the handheld is keeping pace with the upgraded Stock Tune installed by the dealer?

or

Did I misunderstand and there is no update to the Stock Tune. And in effect the Stock Tune from the factory never changes over the life of the vehicle and the Stock Tune installed on Day 1 is the same tune used on Day 517, Day 1,517, etc...?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I know thats what the Pontiac service guys would do beacuse they put an update in when i had the Hypertech tune in my car--so the update destryed my Hypertech and i had to buy a new stock tune.My suggestion was jusi in case Ford does the same thing--it only takes 5 minutes to change the tuen out

Pockdog and anyone else that is unsure about this.

ALWAYS! And I mean EVERYTIME you take your car to the dealer, put it back to stock! Even for something simple like an oil change or tire rotation. Because if there is an update for the stock program the tech WILL reflash the computer to the updated tune. They do not have to tell you or get your permission this comes down from Ford.

So if you have your performance tune installed and the tech updates the stock tune, you just lost your performance tune and now have a tuner that is usless unless you pay to have it unlocked by the company you bought it from. Because you now have a Tuner with your old outdated tune, and a car with a new updated stock tune.

So remember to retune your car to stock before taking to dealer.

Thanks Jared for the answers... still a few more questions!

Do you guys offer a A "Wife" or Valet Tune?

Do any of these Tunes harm the car in any way or shorten the life of any of the stock components?

Does using any of the tunes void the Ford factory warranty in any way?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Pockdog,

We can have a tune made for you that would limit throttle making it a "valet" style tune.

As far as the tunes harming the car I really don't believe you'll be shortening the life of your engine with just a performance tune. Especially when it's a tune from a reputable tuner such as Jon.

Adding a big blower, nitrous and slicks.. Now that's another story.

Just as others mentioned your warranty doesn't automatically get voided from running a tune or adding other performance enhancing parts. There's laws that protect the consumer from that. It's called the Magnuson Moss Act. If for some reason there's a failure with the car and the dealer can directly link the use of the aftermarket part to the failure they may attempt to void the warranty. But that's not always the case. I always tell all of my customers to find a service rep that's into cars. If you get a gear head as a service writer you're in a much better position then you would be with some stiff who doesn't even know what a custom tune is. ALWAY... I repeat ALWAYS tip your service writer. They appreciate that stuff and it will help you in the long run. I've build long lasting friendships with the service writers I've used and had lots of stuff covered under warranty with no questions asked. If you're in you're in.

Hope that helps.

Jared

HEY JARED WHAT DO YOU DO, SAY YOU HAVE A KB STAGE 3 AND THE CAR CAN NOT RUN ON STOCK TUNE .DO YOU THEN DOWNLOAD BACK TO STOCK AND THEN HAVE THE DEALER DO THE RECALL OR PROGRAM WHILE YOU ARE THERE THEN READ STOCK AGAIN BEFORE REPRGAM TO STAGE 3 WITH OUT RUNNING THE CAR. AND WILL THAT SAVE THE DEALER REPROGRAM .THIS IS IN A INSTANCE OF A REPGRAM SAY FOR A SEAT BELT ISSUE OR DASH ISSUE.

THANKS PAUL

HEY JARED WHAT DO YOU DO, SAY YOU HAVE A KB STAGE 3 AND THE CAR CAN NOT RUN ON STOCK TUNE .DO YOU THEN DOWNLOAD BACK TO STOCK AND THEN HAVE THE DEALER DO THE RECALL OR PROGRAM WHILE YOU ARE THERE THEN READ STOCK AGAIN BEFORE REPRGAM TO STAGE 3 WITH OUT RUNNING THE CAR. AND WILL THAT SAVE THE DEALER REPROGRAM .THIS IS IN A INSTANCE OF A REPGRAM SAY FOR A SEAT BELT ISSUE OR DASH ISSUE.

THANKS PAUL

Paul,

If you take it to the dealer for a normal service/reprogram than you should flash to the car back to stock at the dealer. Then they will flash the car with their update and then you can reflash the car with your KB tune again. When you go to reflash the KB tune back onto the vehicle the device should download and save the most current program on that the dealer flashed the car with.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Thanks,

Jared

Looks like I'm gonna take possession of a 2010 GT500 around the first of November. Is it possible to buy the SCT X3 with two maps, one for 93 octane and one for 100 octane? VP109 is available locally.

If so, do you have any idea what the torque/hp increase would be for the 100 octane map?

Looks like I'm gonna take possession of a 2010 GT500 around the first of November. Is it possible to buy the SCT X3 with two maps, one for 93 octane and one for 100 octane? VP109 is available locally.

If so, do you have any idea what the torque/hp increase would be for the 100 octane map?

Lawdude,

We can indeed provide the programmer with 2 custom tunes. The additional race tune would be $100.00. I'm not sure what the gains would be with a 109 octane tune but I'll try and find out this afternoon.

Thanks, Jared

not 100% sure on 109 but isn't that an oxygenated fuel? If so it requires more fuel being added. I run q16 on my classic stang and it takes quite a bit more fuel than just plain ol 110 octane. I know vp113 is also oxygenated.

It is oxygenated. It is also unleaded. My tuned, turbocharged BMW loves it. :)

Jared,

I just installed my tune ,everything went perfect.only 1 problem,pouring down rain on thru tommorrow.

I will give an update as soon as I get to try her out.

Thanks for the quick service

VJB

Glad you got the tuner and everything went well with the upload. Definitely give us your thoughts once you get to rip on it.

Thanks a bunch for your business. Please let me know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jared

Archived