TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for those who have put a tune in their car.

skipm

Has anyone put only a tune in their car? If so what are your thoughts before and after the tune, any rwhp numbers? I know a lot of the guys on here have put a pulley and tune on getting between 500-550 rwhp. My thoughts are upgrading the heat exchanger and doing a tune only. All I'm really after is improved throttle response and a moderate power increase. Had to park the car already the snow fell here over the weekend. :cry:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did look intot this, and posted 3 times for mixxer at EVO to respond and NOTHING.Got some emails from folks on this site,saying 20-30hp gains.My own experience with a Vette was 20 hp--so personally im not spending $500 for 20hp--maybe the EVO folks will step up this time.

i did look intot this, and posted 3 times for mixxer at EVO to respond and NOTHING.Got some emails from folks on this site,saying 20-30hp gains.My own experience with a Vette was 20 hp--so personally im not spending $500 for 20hp--maybe the EVO folks will step up this time.

Oh thanks. That hardly seems worth the time and effort. Hopefully someone with better insight can help.

My question is this about a tuner. Is our boost regulated by anything computer related? Or are we pushing max boost with the pulleys that are on there?

The reason I ask is again...going back to my truck, we could add boost via a tune. I know I am talking about a turbo and pushing extra fuel, but as we all know our boost was limited upon delivery and up to the 5 miles driving.

So is this computer controlled boost controller limiting our stock boost now? If this is the case and we are not limited by the stock pulleys, then we should be able to get more boost from a tune that address the "pressure valve", fuel curve, and timing.

Then again.... :headscratch:

My question is this about a tuner. Is our boost regulated by anything computer related? Or are we pushing max boost with the pulleys that are on there?

The reason I ask is again...going back to my truck, we could add boost via a tune. I know I am talking about a turbo and pushing extra fuel, but as we all know our boost was limited upon delivery and up to the 5 miles driving.

So is this computer controlled boost controller limiting our stock boost now? If this is the case and we are not limited by the stock pulleys, then we should be able to get more boost from a tune that address the "pressure valve", fuel curve, and timing.

Then again.... :headscratch:

Boost itself is NOT controlled by the computer. Boost is a byproduct of throttle. I know from what I have learned and from personal experience with several different tunes in my car, that by manipulating the throttle control in the tune, you can achieve more boost (higher boost PSI and quicker boost at lower RPM). So, what I'm saying is this...you get more boost by manipulating the throttle control and timing in the tune. Hope that makes sense.

Boost itself is NOT controlled by the computer. Boost is a byproduct of throttle. I know from what I have learned and from personal experience with several different tunes in my car, that by manipulating the throttle control in the tune, you can achieve more boost (higher boost PSI and quicker boost at lower RPM). So, what I'm saying is this...you get more boost by manipulating the throttle control and timing in the tune. Hope that makes sense.

Yes in a way it does. I am used to dealing with a VVT so this roots style thing is taking some getting used to.

My question was this. You know our cars are boost limited from Ford. But how did they do this?

So question here is: what is limiting boost is some sort of bypass valve correct(unitl the 5 mile requirement, computer controlled)? If so is this bypass valve limiting stock boost to a preset level? ie: allowing pressure over 8psi to bypass the system?

So if you can get higher boost from just a tune, what is the max boost we can get with a stock pully setup?

Yes in a way it does. I am used to dealing with a VVT so this roots style thing is taking some getting used to.

My question was this. You know our cars are boost limited from Ford. But how did they do this?

So question here is: what is limiting boost is some sort of bypass valve correct(unitl the 5 mile requirement, computer controlled)? If so is this bypass valve limiting stock boost to a preset level? ie: allowing pressure over 8psi to bypass the system?

So if you can get higher boost from just a tune, what is the max boost we can get with a stock pully setup?

They do it by limiting the throttle control. Like ChrisSD said, the tune does not allow the throttle to be opened completely. Hence, no boost.

Has anyone put only a tune in their car? If so what are your thoughts before and after the tune, any rwhp numbers? I know a lot of the guys on here have put a pulley and tune on getting between 500-550 rwhp. My thoughts are upgrading the heat exchanger and doing a tune only. All I'm really after is improved throttle response and a moderate power increase. Had to park the car already the snow fell here over the weekend. :cry:

When testing with our 2010 we put a tune only on the car and picked up 50rwhp. The throttle was much better and it woke the car up right away. I'd recommend a tune to anyone as a great start.

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. All of our tuning is done by Jon L of Lund Racing.

Thanks, Jared

When testing with our 2010 we put a tune only on the car and picked up 50rwhp. The throttle was much better and it woke the car up right away. I'd recommend a tune to anyone as a great start.

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. All of our tuning is done by Jon L of Lund Racing.

Thanks, Jared

And what programmer offers the most options. ie. tire size correction, speed limit elimination...ect

Excellent Answer.. Anytime you limit the throttle the car will produce less boost and make less power. That's exactly what's done on some cars that run big blower setups but don't have the octane to support it. So a 91 octane tune will have a less aggressive throttle curve programmed into it.

So I surfed around and found some info that installing a tune only produced anywhere from 30-50rwhp on a dynojet dyno. It sounds convincing but I'm skeptical. Sure would be nice to hear from anyone who has only a tune.

50? No way on a 2010. An 07 - 09 sure because most "packages" included a CAI.

I agree thought I'd put out there anyway.

It's true.

We made 50rwhp more than the stock tune with just a tune on a Mustang Dyno. Here's the videos and dyno sheets.

Baseline Run

93 Octane Tune Only Run

Stock Dyno

scan0003.jpg

Tuned Dyno

scan0002.jpg

They do it by limiting the throttle control. Like ChrisSD said, the tune does not allow the throttle to be opened completely. Hence, no boost.

Again excellent answer and to the best of my knowledge that's exactly how the factory limits boost for the first few miles.

What is Jon Lund doing with the knock sensors in the tune? I do NOT want these turned off. I want them integrated and considered properly in the tune.

Chris,

Jon still uses the knock sensors. They are not turned off in his tunes. I can tell you first hand that the 93 octane tunes that we offer make a world of a difference. I was amazed when I witnessed the dyno results and even happier once I got to drive the car home that day.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Jared

Thanks, Jared

Hey Jared; as ChrisSD pointed out is your lund tune only a (ported ? 08/09) tune that does not incorperate the knock sensors?

You will get 40 +hp from a tune all day long,depending on your air. Not to mention throttle response .Just ask justin woody what happened when he got someone else to tune it for him. Feel free to give me a call and i will answer any other questions you have. kent

HOORAH==thanks mixxer.Just so i understand, ill get 40hp by just putting in the tune--i live in Atl, 1100ft above sea level,and usually humid,ecept when its cold, like today.But most of year humidity is above 50%. If I only get 20hp after making my dyno runs are you saying youll take it back.PS also run 93 octane

I RECENTLY ( 300 KM AGO ) HAD AN EVO TUNE PUT IN BY MY DEALER. I BOUGHT 2 TUNES FOR $ 500 CDN AND ALSO PUT ON the FRPP SVT 1'S FOR A LIITLE MORE SOUND. THE THROTTLE REPONSE WAS NOTICEABLY QUICKER IMMEDIATELYAND THE TIRES DO BREAK LOOSE FAR EASIER NOW. I AM CONFIDENT I DID GET MORE HP. EVO'S GUESS WAS " UP TO 55 RWHP " FOR THE TUNE AND 5 - 10 FROM THE EXHAUST > tHAT PART MIGHT BE QUESTIONABLE ; BUT IT IS QUICKER NOW.THE SECOND TUNE WAS N/C AS IT IS THE MOD REQUIRING THE 2.6 PULLRY WHICH WILL BE MY NEXT MOD. I JUST PARKED MY CAR FOR WINTER NOW WITH 2113 KM SINCE jULY 2.

TRY THE MOD; IT IS GOOD !!

I RECENTLY ( 300 KM AGO ) HAD AN EVO TUNE PUT IN BY MY DEALER. I BOUGHT 2 TUNES FOR $ 500 CDN AND ALSO PUT ON the FRPP SVT 1'S FOR A LIITLE MORE SOUND. THE THROTTLE REPONSE WAS NOTICEABLY QUICKER IMMEDIATELYAND THE TIRES DO BREAK LOOSE FAR EASIER NOW. I AM CONFIDENT I DID GET MORE HP. EVO'S GUESS WAS " UP TO 55 RWHP " FOR THE TUNE AND 5 - 10 FROM THE EXHAUST > tHAT PART MIGHT BE QUESTIONABLE ; BUT IT IS QUICKER NOW.THE SECOND TUNE WAS N/C AS IT IS THE MOD REQUIRING THE 2.6 PULLRY WHICH WILL BE MY NEXT MOD. I JUST PARKED MY CAR FOR WINTER NOW WITH 2113 KM SINCE jULY 2.

TRY THE MOD; IT IS GOOD !!

did you do a dyno ---or is it just gut feel??

It's true.

We made 50rwhp more than the stock tune with just a tune on a Mustang Dyno. Here's the videos and dyno sheets.

Baseline Run

93 Octane Tune Only Run

Thanks for the info. I have 5 or so snowy months to contemplate what I want to do since the car is officially parked for winter. :censored:

did you do a dyno ---or is it just gut feel??

No dyno ; but throttle response is a lot faster and the tires break lose far easier.I am confident about 50 rwhp would be a good guess.

Chris,

Jon still uses the knock sensors. They are not turned off in his tunes. I can tell you first hand that the 93 octane tunes that we offer make a world of a difference. I was amazed when I witnessed the dyno results and even happier once I got to drive the car home that day.

Jared

Jared--im very interetested in just buying a handheld tune programmer.Honestly, are you seeing a 40-50hp gain just putting in the Lund tune,and not changing anything else.I live in Atl, 110ft above sea level and use 93 octane.Ive heard from several forum memebers who have seen 20hp gains from the Lund tune,which to me isnt wirth $500.thanks

Jared--im very interetested in just buying a handheld tune programmer.Honestly, are you seeing a 40-50hp gain just putting in the Lund tune,and not changing anything else.I live in Atl, 110ft above sea level and use 93 octane.Ive heard from several forum memebers who have seen 20hp gains from the Lund tune,which to me isnt wirth $500.thanks

It's amazing that we gain that much from just a tune and I was a little skeptical at first. However, once I saw it for myself on the dyno I now know it's 100% true. No need to BS anyone here. Our results that I posted above were done on the same dyno, same day, 93 octane with a 45 minute cooldown between each pull. Nothing else changed on the car but the tune to gain the 49rwhp.

Thanks, Jared

It's amazing that we gain that much from just a tune and I was a little skeptical at first. However, once I saw it for myself on the dyno I now know it's 100% true. No need to BS anyone here. Our results that I posted above were done on the same dyno, same day, 93 octane with a 45 minute cooldown between each pull. Nothing else changed on the car but the tune to gain the 49rwhp.

Thanks, Jared

I thought VMP used to do your tuning?

Archived