TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving In the Rain

Pockdog

While I do not yet own a GT500, and have, as yet, not had the opportunity to drive one, and reading here about the issue some are having with the 1-2 shift and traction, was wondering if driving a car with that much HP at the rear wheel makes it difficult to drive in wet or slippery conditions?

Is launching a problem with getting traction?

Is handling and/or cornering a problem (with stock set-up)?

Should the GoodYear F1 tires be switched out during the winter months?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

While I do not yet own a GT500, and have, as yet, not had the opportunity to drive one, and reading here about the issue some are having with the 1-2 shift and traction, was wondering if driving a car with that much HP at the rear wheel makes it difficult to drive in wet or slippery conditions?

Is launching a problem with getting traction? YES.

Is handling and/or cornering a problem (with stock set-up)? YES.

Should the GoodYear F1 tires be switched out during the winter months? NO.

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I live in the San Francisco Bay area also, but I have not drive in the rain in the last 3 years.

When I first got the car I drove it a day after it rained the night before and it was slippery.

Since I have another vehicle to drive it does not get driven in the rain.

Just drove in the rain....and it's 45 degrees here. You really have to be careful. You certainly can't drive like you do in the warm/dry weather that is for sure. I didn't have any problems spinning the tires...but that's me. You've got to have a soft pedal foot and keep the RPM's down.

I don't know what you might mean by "launching" and the "cornering" questions....are you referring to those in the wet conditons? I would advise against both. The traction control on the vehicle helps a bit. But you can't push the car very hard without major risk to yourself and the car in the slippery conditions.

Technically the stock tires are not to be used in below 40 degree weather. They are not all season tires. So if you have the money..I would get a set of tires at least rated for snow conditions.

Hope that helps.

^^ +1.

I've seen rain in mine maybe three times. All of those I was pretty conservative with the gas pedal. Honestly, I found that it handles just like any other car (just don't mash the throttle). It's heavy too, and I don't know about you all but... it kind of makes me feel better :)

So if you get caught in the rain just be nice and pay attention, no big deal, like in anything other car. I would *not* drive in the rain with the cruise control on.

I would also call it a rain day at the autocross ;)

Driving mine today. And here in Atlanta we have had about as much rain as oNe area can handle. I have had zero issues. Like others have said, use your brain and just drive according to conditions. As for off the line just a light foot and the car will take off just fine with zero spin. The tires will hold well in the wet, and I tested this yesterday, and drove rather hard. Only issue is with puddles, the F1's don't like standing water at all. Had a few butt puckers on the way to work this morning.

You will have no issues, just drive to your ability and with caution.

As for the winter tires, I will be on the F1's because I don't have the cash for winter rubber. But I would like to get a softer tire, just can't afford it.

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I disagree with Son of GT. I actually do own a 2010, therefore, I can tell you what my experience with the car is. There is NOT a problem getting traction. There is NOT a handling/cornering problem. And YES, you SHOULD change out the F1 tires because they suck. Thanks.

I disagree with Son of GT. I actually do own a 2010, therefore, I can tell you what my experience with the car is. There is NOT a problem getting traction. There is NOT a handling/cornering problem. And YES, you SHOULD change out the F1 tires because they suck. Thanks.

But Justin do you have a strong opinion on this?

Regards,

Jim

Just drove in the rain....and it's 45 degrees here. You really have to be careful. You certainly can't drive like you do in the warm/dry weather that is for sure. I didn't have any problems spinning the tires...but that's me. You've got to have a soft pedal foot and keep the RPM's down.

I don't know what you might mean by "launching" and the "cornering" questions....are you referring to those in the wet conditons? I would advise against both. The traction control on the vehicle helps a bit. But you can't push the car very hard without major risk to yourself and the car in the slippery conditions.

Technically the stock tires are not to be used in below 40 degree weather. They are not all season tires. So if you have the money..I would get a set of tires at least rated for snow conditions.

Hope that helps.

BBS4,

Understood on the "soft pedal foot" approach, always a good idea in the rain.

As to the launching question, essentially the issue surrounding the 1-2 shift. The idea that many owners, not intentionally, chirp or spin the wheels when making the shift from n-1, and 1-2. I was wondering if that effect is more pronounced in the rain and if so, is it to a dangerous degree? Unless, as you say, the "soft pedal" approach prevents the spinning from happening at all, regardless of the road surface conditions.

Similar question on the cornering. I know that the car (in a stock configuration) handles decently, but does the handling/cornering degrade only a small amount or to a great extent in raining or wet road conditions to where it would be too dangerous to drive it?

Given that the GoodYear F1's are not all season tires, I would imagine that the tread design and tire compound speak to the fact that they recommend not using them in below 40° weather or in snow/mud conditions. Being in Northern Cal, snow is likely not an issue, but rain is.

I guess the best way to condense my question down is to ask which is the better option with this car (in stock configuration) when it rains or is wet outside on the road:

1) Drive the car, but with caution, remaining mindful of what can happen on wet roads?

or

2) Given that it has so much HP, wide tires and solid-rear end, is it best to leave it at home and use another car when it is raining or there are wet roads?

Thanks.

-Pockdog

BBS4,

Understood on the "soft pedal foot" approach, always a good idea in the rain.

As to the launching question, essentially the issue surrounding the 1-2 shift. The idea that many owners, not intentionally, chirp or spin the wheels when making the shift from n-1, and 1-2. I was wondering if that effect is more pronounced in the rain and if so, is it to a dangerous degree? Unless, as you say, the "soft pedal" approach prevents the spinning from happening at all, regardless of the road surface conditions.

Similar question on the cornering. I know that the car (in a stock configuration) handles decently, but does the handling/cornering degrade only a small amount or to a great extent in raining or wet road conditions to where it would be too dangerous to drive it?

Given that the GoodYear F1's are not all season tires, I would imagine that the tread design and tire compound speak to the fact that they recommend not using them in below 40° weather or in snow/mud conditions. Being in Northern Cal, snow is likely not an issue, but rain is.

I guess the best way to condense my question down is to ask which is the better option with this car (in stock configuration) when it rains or is wet outside on the road:

1) Drive the car, but with caution, remaining mindful of what can happen on wet roads?

or

2) Given that it has so much HP, wide tires and solid-rear end, is it best to leave it at home and use another car when it is raining or there are wet roads?

Thanks.

-Pockdog

My honest opinion would be number ONE.

Obviously, with dry weather tires like the F1's, it would be easier to brake them lose in conditions that aren't well... "dry." That doesn't mean, of course, that you're just going to fly off the road when it rains, ha-ha. Rain produces a slippery environment with obviously, so as with any car, you just need to be a little bit more attentive.

The only way you're going to find out is by giving it a whirl - post back what you find ;) If you break lose and get on it too fast in first and second, no big deal, just let off the gas and you're back in place. I don't imagine that you would slam second going 60, because once you're sideways there it's a different story, ha-ha. But seriously, once you feel it slip in first and second you are FAR away from it getting away from you - it's not THAT bad, just take your foot off the gas!

So starting off it, do it normal. If it breaks loose, feed the clutch a little more.

For cornering, take it a little slower than usual. Don't be afraid of it, like I said, it's not like the car is all the sudden on a skating rink.

Hope this helps ;)

HP has nothing to do with driving in rain. I have driven 700+Hp cars in the rain. And guess what it drove just fine. When you get the car, just drive it. You will soon see that even with 500+hp your car will not just slide off the road. My 4wd drive truck and off road tires get worse traction in the wet. So trust me the car is well suited to drive in the rain. Even has wipers to clean rain drops off the windshield! Lol

And No there is no issue going into 2nd, unless you just can't drive a stick. If you have ever driven any car in the rain, you will see that this car is no different. All these questions are confusing me. They are all driver error related. I know you are hearing thing and thinking WOW this car is just nuts. Sorry to bust your dreams but this car drive like any other car unless YOU, decide not to. And even if you decide to do dumb things in poor weather the Adv trac and trac control will let you know.

Relax your car is safe in the rain. I promise.

And F1's have been good to me in the rain so far, and I drove it hard yesterday

I've driven the car daily for nearly 3 months...and I've yet to chirp the tires. Yes, that is TRUE. I always drive with the traction control on. I do make some "spirited" starts from redlights here and there. (only in the dry weather) So I've got nothing to report to you about the shifting issues. As we discussed before...just take it a bit slow and you will be fine under normal wet conditions. It's definitely nothing to be "scared" of. The car is pretty solid if you just keep it under control.

The car handles amazingly in dry conditions in the corners...it's awesome. In the wet conditions...you will just have to back off the gas for sure. Would I take a fairly significant corner at 50 mph in the rain? NO. I would definitely back off to about 40 mph. Quite simply...I would not categorize the car as "too dangerous" to drive in the rain in the least.

I wasn't sure about if snow was an issue with you, since you asked about the winter season. You should be just fine then with the F1's all year then.

or

Thanks.

-Pockdog

Definitely DRIVE THE SHELBY. Just be cautious as you stated.

potdog,

i took delivery on my car today,1st time i drove gt500+it was raining pretty hard.i had no problem at all..i took it very easy+ only went about 5miles .i was surprised i didn`t have a problem with 1st.it took a little gettng used to the trany.the throws are shorter than i`m used to.by time i got home i was fine.

probably 1st + last time car sees rain.

I noticed that if I pay attention to the shift arrow the car drives almost like a granny car. The shift arrow will remind you to shift around 1800 to 2000 rpm, above that and the sportness will come out. Also, the shift arrow will help you with MPG, I'm getting around 17 and I still have a bit of fun every now and then. Rain is no problem and wheel hop will still happen if you want...

I live in Rainland, I drive my SGT/SC all the time in rain and cold on stock tires. I also met a guy yesterday driving a built 454 powered tubbed and caged 66 Chevy II with big race slicks...in the rain.

Its all about throttle control. Find a big big open parking lot and practice drifting around in the rain..its fun and educational. :hysterical:

Its not made out of sugar just don't be silly and alls cool.

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Previous thread with good results: <<LINK>>

When my F-1 tires need replacement I will be using the recommended 275 tires at all 4 corners. They are a great all season tire

Yes, of course how stupid of me. You own a 2010 GT500 and I don't, therefore my three year experience with my 600+ H.P. SS is null and void and I don't know what I'm talking about. Telling this fellow that there are no handling or cornering problems while driving a 540 H.P. solid axle car in the rain is quite confusing to me when there are several members here besides me who seem to feel quite differently than you about that...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=825228

Yeah, and I also know that FoMoCo didn't change the chassis from the 07/09 to 2010 cars, so I can't see how or why the 2010 cars don't behave the same as their 2007 to 2009 counterparts do in the rain and cold.

Will the car always behave badly under wet and cold conditions? No, of course not, but the potental for disaster is always just under the surface if you don't respect the car and take certain precautions when driving in those conditions. Massive H.P. and a lump of weight up front with a solid axle ass end that hardly has any weight on it at all is a perfect combination for a spin out if you don't respect the throttle pedal while driving on cold and/or wet pavement. I promise you that your ass end will come around on you if you goose the throttle in the apex of a turn on wet or cold pavement; hell, that will easely happen on dry pavement for that matter.

But don't just take my word for it. Hit the above link and read what other owners say about driving a GT500 in bad weather...

Pockdog, just respect the car WHENEVER you drive it and you'll be fine. If you don't respect the car, it definately has the potental to bite you in the ass, that's for sure.

Yes, of course how stupid of me. You own a 2010 GT500 and I don't, therefore my three year experience with my 600+ H.P. SS is null and void and I don't know what I'm talking about. Telling this fellow that there are no handling or cornering problems while driving a 540 H.P. solid axle car in the rain is quite confusing to me when there are several members here besides me who seem to feel quite differently than you about that...

Calm down chief...don't be so sensitive. I just have a different opinion than you... :baby:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=825228

Yeah, and I also know that FoMoCo didn't change the chassis from the 07/09 to 2010 cars, so I can't see how or why the 2010 cars don't behave the same as their 2007 to 2009 counterparts do in the rain and cold.

Will the car always behave badly under wet and cold conditions? No, of course not, but the potental for disaster is always just under the surface if you don't respect the car and take certain precautions when driving in those conditions. Massive H.P. and a lump of weight up front with a solid axle ass end that hardly has any weight on it at all is a perfect combination for a spin out if you don't respect the throttle pedal while driving on cold and/or wet pavement. I promise you that your ass end will come around on you if you goose the throttle in the apex of a turn on wet or cold pavement; hell, that will easely happen on dry pavement for that matter.

But don't just take my word for it. Hit the above link and read what other owners say about driving a GT500 in bad weather...

Pockdog, just respect the car WHENEVER you drive it and you'll be fine. If you don't respect the car, it definately has the potental to bite you in the ass, that's for sure.

This link you posted has nothing to do with the GT500. As it read the car was traveling at a high rate of speed and roads were wet. I don't care what type of car/truck, unless you are running a HP rain tire speed will get you everytime in the wet. So tragic as this story is, like I said earlier about this topic all the problems with wet and cold driving is 100% DRIVER ERROR.

Just home from work and right now it is 36*F and I just drove 20 miles, with in town and HWY. Yep made it safe. NO ISSUES!

Any problems you will have with this car in the wet/cold, you could have with ANY car.

Just home from work and right now it is 36*F and I just drove 20 miles, with in town and HWY. Yep made it safe. NO ISSUES!

Any problems you will have with this car in the wet/cold, you could have with ANY car.

It's been my experience too tdusseau. I've been driving the car in low 40's and high 30's weather for the past 5 days...with rain too. No problems whatsoever. It's been quite solid through it all...today we had our first frost too.

I've had my my GT500 since September 06. It now has 21,000 miles on it. I live in Kansas and we have lots of cold days during the winter with the temp between 30 to 45 degrees and dry roads. When the temp gets below 45 degrees the Goodyear F1's were like driving on ice.

I just changed tires to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 275/40 18 all the way around and couldn't be more pleased. The decrease in tire noise is amazing, dry traction is improved and wet traction is greatly improved.

Archived