TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Race - Super Snake V.S. Very Fast Challenger

dr56099

Two things I noticed right off. They said the Challenger had a transplanted engine meaning it did not have the production engine that comes in the car as the Shelby does. I take that to mean that the engine you get from the factory cannot take the kind of modifications needed to get the 725 hp. I'm sure the engine swap is where a lot of the extra $30,000 price difference comes from.

Second. The Challenger had an auto trans. I would like to know if it is a modified stock Challenger trans or if they put in an aftermarket trans. Ford apparently doesn't have or want to modify one of their auto trans to work in the Shelby. That auto trans didn't seem to hurt the performance much if any at all. If its an aftermarket trans, that accounts for more of the $30,000 difference.

Of course, if I had the bucks that some of our members have, I would get one of the Challengers also to just cruise in or go on vacation in due to the auto trans.

Super Snakes ROCK!!!!

+1

Wonder if the SS had the upgraded brakes on it? If not, throw those on, and we still have a rocket for 10s of thousands of dollars less, that would have nailed the drivers biggest issue (that I heard) and probably had the SS take the 0 - 100 - 0 too. A clean sweep on a production engine that is not a one-off

the Challenger had a transplanted engine meaning it did not have the production engine that comes in the car as the Shelby does.

So, isn't that like comparing....say apples to oranges again? Or better yet, the guy who says, "Hey, my ______ (uncle, cousin, nephew, son, fill in the blank) has got a Nissayota that you don't want to mess with in that Mustang." Then goes on to describe some feat of automotive engineering that generally requires several thousands of dollars over stock, multiple turbos and non-consumer grade chemicals/gasses so he can say he can embarrass a stock GT 500. I generally counter with, ok, let me either get one of my Super Snake buddies to handle this for me, or let me spend the same $$ on my car and then we'll run 'em out.......

I love the Mopar getting thrashed!

So, isn't that like comparing....say apples to oranges again? Or better yet, the guy who says, "Hey, my ______ (uncle, cousin, nephew, son, fill in the blank) has got a Nissayota that you don't want to mess with in that Mustang." Then goes on to describe some feat of automotive engineering that generally requires several thousands of dollars over stock, multiple turbos and non-consumer grade chemicals/gasses so he can say he can embarrass a stock GT 500. I generally counter with, ok, let me either get one of my Super Snake buddies to handle this for me, or let me spend the same $$ on my car and then we'll run 'em out.......

I love the Mopar getting thrashed!

:lol: This post cracked me up a lot (especially the non-consumer grade gasses and whatnot). However, if it's apples to oranges, it ought to be in the Chally's favor! It costs a whole ton more and appears to have an engine transplant, just so that it can compete (poorly).

Even against the odds and against probably the baddest Mopar built, the SuperSnake still wipes the asphalt with it. Dollar for dollar, the SS is the nastiest performance V8 out there, IMO. It makes me proud to drive a Shelby when I see reviews like this. :shift:

Ken

:lol: This post cracked me up a lot (especially the non-consumer grade gasses and whatnot). However, if it's apples to oranges, it ought to be in the Chally's favor! It costs a whole ton more and appears to have an engine transplant, just so that it can compete (poorly).

Even against the odds and against probably the baddest Mopar built, the SuperSnake still wipes the asphalt with it. Dollar for dollar, the SS is the nastiest performance V8 out there, IMO. It makes me proud to drive a Shelby when I see reviews like this. :shift:

Ken

That's not even close to the "baddest mopar built"! I know of several SRT8s with Kenne Bells running 9s and 10s (one which will be in the 8s any day now). Mine runs 11s. Don't forget, these are much heavier cars, too. They should have run it against a Mr. Norm's Super Challenger- that would be more comparable to the Vegas-modified Super Snake! Also- I am suspicious why they didn't just post the e.t.s... they were probably embarrassed because it would show that they likely didn't drive either car to the full potential!!

That's not to say the SuperSnake doesn't kick a$$!

Two things I noticed right off. They said the Challenger had a transplanted engine meaning it did not have the production engine that comes in the car as the Shelby does. I take that to mean that the engine you get from the factory cannot take the kind of modifications needed to get the 725 hp. I'm sure the engine swap is where a lot of the extra $30,000 price difference comes from.

Second. The Challenger had an auto trans. I would like to know if it is a modified stock Challenger trans or if they put in an aftermarket trans. Ford apparently doesn't have or want to modify one of their auto trans to work in the Shelby. That auto trans didn't seem to hurt the performance much if any at all. If its an aftermarket trans, that accounts for more of the $30,000 difference.

Of course, if I had the bucks that some of our members have, I would get one of the Challengers also to just cruise in or go on vacation in due to the auto trans.

This vid is almost 2 years old now. Back when you could not get a manual in the Challenger, and when mods were not as prevalent as they are today.

The engine is not a one-off as some think it is. There are no less than 10 reputable shops around that build 426 Hemi motors, and the supercharger has been around for a while too. I've never heard of this custom shop personally, but I don't see them doing anything different than some of the more recognized-by-MOPAR-fans shops out there.

Challengers cost staggeringly more to mod than the Shelby.

The tranny used in this video is a stock transmission. Many guys running much higher HP have been running stock trannys without issue. They are built very tough.

Better brakes and better options, but more expensive to mod, and fewer aftermarket parts available. Due to the lack of the huge aftermarket that Mustangs enjoy, most high-hp modded Dodges will cost a lot more to build than the comparable powered Mustang or Shelby.

The price is absolutely outlandish. You can buy a ZR1, a heavily modded Supersnake, hell... even a heavily modded GT-R which would all skin the Challenger even as it was setup. Waste of money IMO.

But I just found out that Hellion is releasing a twin-turbo for the 6.1 that will dominate the Dodge aftermarket. With no other mods at all (!!!) you can expect around 800rwhp. That aint shabby for what will probably run about $15k installed. Throw in a $3k suspension, widen the wheels and add wider tires (another $2k), add another $2k worth of extra go-fast goodies and you should be running a serious contender for even the more highly modified of Shelbys on the road. It would still cost more, but it is a great achievement for the Dodge fans.

The Challenger is super-sexy IMO, but no matter what... it still isn;t a Shelby :)

Very cool!!

Just think how fast the SS would go if it was Alloy? :peelout:

AH HA! You finally nailed it! Not only is Alloy the fastest, but it's very stealthy......it blends in with the pavement and all the competition sees (literally) are the tail lights! If it had been an Alloy SS, you wouldn't have even been able to see it on the video! :hysterical:

AH HA! You finally nailed it! Not only is Alloy the fastest, but it's very stealthy......it blends in with the pavement and all the competition sees (literally) are the tail lights! If it had been an Alloy SS, you wouldn't have even been able to see it on the video! :hysterical:

:doh::doh:

Archived