TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Barrett Jackson Auction

twobjshelbys

OK, so after a day sleeping with the crud, I'm feeling a little better. I'm going to start sorting through the almost 800 photos I took. This thread is dedicated to some general car themes. I'll start by posting a couple of thematic cars, and then continue with "the rest".

Here's how I did it:

My friends and I went to the "car barn" on Wednesday, after the parade, but I was pretty wiped so didn't get through the whole thing. I went down to view the cars early on Thursday with the specific mission of getting the 65 SlabSide, and a few others, when noone else was around. On Saturday we went to the auction and didn't even go to the car barn.

Enjoy. I sure did.

Here is the first series. John Schneider when he was doing the Dukes of Hazard built the General Lee and leased it back to the production company. The TV version missed a big part of the intro about how this car was on eBay and the bidders were all shills. So it was in Vegas again. He drove the car onto the stage and did some of his famous entries - sliding into it from the drivers side. He also did a little ditty of the original song.

This is the Charger everyone wants.

DSC_5751.jpg

DSC_5752.jpg

DSC_5761.jpg

DSC_5762.jpg

DSC_5768.jpg

DSC_5769.jpg

DSC_5772.jpg

DSC_5773.jpg

DSC_5774.jpg

I took this shot before the final hammer dropped, but liked the shot so here it is anyway. The gavel dropped at 235,000, for a final sale price of 258,500 including the 10% BJ fee.

DSC_5778.jpg

These are from the Jay Leno bike. His was a charity auction to Bailey's Cafe. When NBC auctioned the Leno Show sets the proceeds went here. It is his charity.

In the end, there was some funky bidding including the 12-year old grandson that eventually got it to $120K. This was one of the high charity auctions.

FYI, BJ is fairly selective about these - they get many offers, and make no money since the check is written directly to the charity - so I was honored when ours was accepted in January '09.

DSC_5872-1.jpg

DSC_5874.jpg

DSC_5877.jpg

DSC_5878.jpg

DSC_5880.jpg

DSC_5881-1.jpg

DSC_5886.jpg

DSC_5887.jpg

DSC_5890.jpg

Here is the first series. John Schneider when he was doing the Dukes of Hazard built the General Lee and leased it back to the production company. The TV version missed a big part of the intro about how this car was on eBay and the bidders were all shills. So it was in Vegas again. He drove the car onto the stage and did some of his famous entries - sliding into it from the drivers side. He also did a little ditty of the original song.

This is the Charger everyone wants.

Yeah I can Imagine B-J not wanting the words "shill bidding" going out on the air. The consensus of that eBay auction was that it was just a publicity stunt for Schneiders movie at the time. The shill bidded price was used to get media attention for Schneiders movie.

I could be wrong but I would think that collectors would want one of the cars from the TV series. If I recall Schneider had this one (and perhaps several more) built not too long ago on his own dime. Basically cashing in on the Duke fever thats grown over the years.

Steve

Yeah I can Imagine B-J not wanting the words "shill bidding" going out on the air. The consensus of that eBay auction was that it was just a publicity stunt for Schneiders movie at the time. The shill bidded price was used to get media attention for Schneiders movie.

I could be wrong but I would think that collectors would want one of the cars from the TV series. If I recall Schneider had this one (and perhaps several more) built not too long ago on his own dime. Basically cashing in on the Duke fever thats grown over the years.

Steve

For the record, John did the intro about what he called, I think the words were "the sordid history" of the ebay fiasco. Speed breaks to commercials at the most inopportune moments (may of them when I was on the stage :) )

Archived