TEAM SHELBY FORUM

400 miles to go before ESPP expires at 85K miles

msbmustang54

I now have only 400 miles to go before my already extended ESPP warranty expires at 85K miles on my very early 07 GT500 (SVT#12).

My question to the group is should I (can I?) extend the ESPP warranty or not? ...and if I should where is the best place to get a good price? Been out of work now in Silicon Valley for 11 months now and because of that cost is a major issue! (Note: I had already had the Tranny/clutch TSB done 9K miles ago-mine was the first to have it done in the SF bay area and Ford sent out a Mech to over-see it. Seems to be fine after 9K miles and at 10k miles the warranty on the clutch TSB also will run out also according to my TSB paperwork.)

I posted on this last month but thought I would try again as I am running out of time.

Thanks Everyone!

MSB Mustang / Mark

I now have only 400 miles to go before my already extended ESPP warranty expires at 85K miles on my very early 07 GT500 (SVT#12).

My question to the group is should I (can I?) extend the ESPP warranty or not? ...and if I should where is the best place to get a good price? Been out of work now in Silicon Valley for 11 months now and because of that cost is a major issue! (Note: I had already had the Tranny/clutch TSB done 9K miles ago-mine was the first to have it done in the SF bay area and Ford sent out a Mech to over-see it. Seems to be fine after 9K miles and at 10k miles the warranty on the clutch TSB also will run out also according to my TSB paperwork.)

I posted on this last month but thought I would try again as I am running out of time.

Thanks Everyone!

MSB Mustang / Mark

Unfortunately I think there are very few with 85k on theirs right now who could offer you advice, ha-ha. And WOW - congratulations, and glad it has been doing good for you!!

Maybe MM can provide some feedback for you, or someone that works at the dealerships. I have my own opinion of warranties and don't want to lead you wrong.

Good luck!

First off congrats on driving your car. Those memories are priceless.

I do know some extended service plans can be renewed with high miles but the price also goes up. They pretty much know a claim will be filed on a higher mileage car.

Not sure if Ford allows renewing their plan but again if they do expect the price to go up. There are many third party plans that will sell you a plan but its very, very risky going with a third party plan and not something I would suggest.

If you are going to keep driving your Shelby 30k miles per year I would try to get your existing plan extended. If by chance the Shelby is going to be just a weekend driver in the near future I'd just risk it and pay for any repairs out of pocket.

Let us know what you do.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Since I lost my job at National Semiconductor a year ago I have not been driving it 20k per year. In fact since Jan it has less than 6k miles on it. But you are right I really love driving it and I still get thumbs up from people which surprises me what with the new ones being out now?

I did get one quote for $2k for 10,000 miles and that it too much. I paid $2 for 35k miles when I bought it from the Ford Testing grounds (it had 50k then) and I only got that deal because the car had not been sold to the public. I agree that a 3rd party plan is not a viable option.

I put another 100 miles on it today and now only have 250 or so left to 85k. So I think I am just going to let it expire and hope there is not another big TSB on the tranny/clutch...or something else?

Is there any other new TSB's I should be aware of?

Since the one piece drive shaft and short shifter are still sitting in the garage I think it is time to let the warranty go, install those and just hope nothing major breaks that I can't afford to fix! Heck when I had the clutch TSB done at 76k the car was still running OK (but was much better after the mod). BUT I don't know if Ford did anything to the car before they sold it with the 50K miles on it. It might have had a new clutch put in it?

Heck I might have to sell it anyway if I don't find a job soon. I still have been unable to find out if GT500 SVT#12 is worth anything extra? I have posted several times to see if anyone has an earlier SVT# than 12 and no one has responded. The best part of my day is getting in the GT500 and going down to the post office to pick up my unemployment check which expires in 6 weeks or so.

Thanks,

Mark / MSB Mustang54

First off congrats on driving your car. Those memories are priceless.

I do know some extended service plans can be renewed with high miles but the price also goes up. They pretty much know a claim will be filed on a higher mileage car.

Not sure if Ford allows renewing their plan but again if they do expect the price to go up. There are many third party plans that will sell you a plan but its very, very risky going with a third party plan and not something I would suggest.

If you are going to keep driving your Shelby 30k miles per year I would try to get your existing plan extended. If by chance the Shelby is going to be just a weekend driver in the near future I'd just risk it and pay for any repairs out of pocket.

Let us know what you do.

Steve

Just got a quote from my local dealer for $1250 for the Extra Care plan to take me to 105K miles! What does everyone think about that?

Being out of work for 11 months now (electronic engineer/audio here in the SF bay area) not sure if it is worth digging into my savings or not?

It also means I have to wait on my installing my onepiece drive shaft and FR short shifter for another year? Maybe I should sell the drive shaft and shifter to pay for the insurance?

Thanks every one for your advice and input.

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

New clutch is 1200 and that is just the clutch then there is the labor to install it I think you could end up spending around 3 grand to do this. 1200 for 20,000 mile extension wow I see a robbery in progress. i think you get the prize for the most miles on a Shelby every one in existence.

You could trade it in on the 10 and start over just a thought. I do hope you get back to work soon.

Art

Tomorrow or Monday is the decision deadline for me:

1st choice is $1250 (that includes a $180 dealer inspection) to extend the warranty to 105,000 miles from my present 84,000 miles for two years OR

2nd choice is let it expire and hope nothing else (like the clutch tsb) goes wrong in the next 20K miles or two years.

(The good news is if I let it expire I can put in the short shifter and one piece driveshaft that I bought a year and a half ago that Ford would not let us (dealer) install when the tranny was out of the car and would have been free to do.)

Thanks Everyone for your help with this tough decision especially with no job for the past 11 months!

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

extra care is fords secoond best plan .. at that price .... I work for a dealership and thats a great price ...

If i were to recommend anything ... go longer ... as miles add up ... it gets pricier

Can't advise you on the warranty, but congrats for racking up the miles on your baby! I think I'm pushing it as my 07 (purchased 14 months ago with 56 miles) is about to roll over 15k! Good to see someone really drive these wonderful road cars.....

Can't advise you on the warranty, but congrats for racking up the miles on your baby! I think I'm pushing it as my 07 (purchased 14 months ago with 56 miles) is about to roll over 15k! Good to see someone really drive these wonderful road cars.....

Decision day today and I am still not sure what to do. The wife thinks it is a waste of money especially since we are not extending the warranty on her Honda Pilot we bought at the same time. But the point of a Honda is they run forever so extending that warranty does not make sense. But the GT500 is still a new design and I am afraid there are still some problems we have not uncovered yet and will cost more than $1300 to fix! But then again it is only for 20k more miles and if I don't do the warranty extension then I can put in my short shifter and one piece driveshaft that have been sitting in the garage since the Clutch Tranny TSB was done and I thought I was going to get them put in for free?

As you can tell I am still confilicted!

Thanks everyone for your help with this decision.

Mark MSB Mustang (54)

Mark

You could have installed the shifter long ago and not voided the warranty. The shifter has nothing to do eith anything except the shifter. I dont even think there are any adjustments on it. I may be wrong . as for the drive shaft you will have to change you're pinion angle to eliminate vibration that some have had. dont forget the D/S loop.

As for the warranty if I was you I would just pay for the clutch and be done with it. Have you had any problem with it other than the clutch?

If you want a second opinion on the clutch give Darren Jackson a call He is great to deal with 408-557-6314.

The dealer that you are taking you're car to, is it where you got the car?

How many miles since the TSB was done?

Mark

You could have installed the shifter long ago and not voided the warranty. The shifter has nothing to do eith anything except the shifter. I dont even think there are any adjustments on it. I may be wrong . as for the drive shaft you will have to change you're pinion angle to eliminate vibration that some have had. dont forget the D/S loop.

As for the warranty if I was you I would just pay for the clutch and be done with it. Have you had any problem with it other than the clutch?

If you want a second opinion on the clutch give Darren Jackson a call He is great to deal with 408-557-6314.

The dealer that you are taking you're car to, is it where you got the car?

How many miles since the TSB was done?

It has 8k miles since the TSB was done over a year ago. The Ford rep that oversaw the TSB at my dealer said he would void the warranty on the Clutch/Tranny TSB if we put in the Ford Racing short shifter and one piece driveshaft. No problems at all since the TSB was done. In fact the car has had not real problems at all except for the wheel hop problem that everyone has. The J&M upper and lower control arms helped that a lot along with the new Koni yellow shocks and struts. The upper control arm is adjustable for putting in the one piece AL 750HP driveshaft. Where should I get the DS Loop? Do I need the DS loop even if I am not going to be racing?

Does Darren Jackson have a shop in the 408 area? (SJ)

Sounds like you are saying "save the $1350" and don't worry about anything else major? You would be on the same side as my wife then...but she wants me to park it or sell it until I find a job! I hate driving our other car though... a Honda Pilot is about as boring a ride as there is!

No, the dealer I am taking it to is my local Ford Dealer. I bought the car in Port Clintion Ohio from a dealer who got it directly from the Ford testing grounds with 50k miles on it. I got it within the first couple of months the GT500's came out! At the time is was $25k less than any other one for sale. Now you can get a new one for list or below. But Mine is SVT#12, #2 made in Tungsten and the #1 Tungsten car might have been destroyed in testing? Mine is an older/lower SVT# and serial# than the first one sold at auction but I don't know what the SVT# for Ron Platte's GT500 serial #...002 is?

Looks like the decision is made! Save the $1350 on the extended warranty from 85,000 miles to 105,000 miles and hope nothing goes wrong for the next 20k miles...or at least what does go wrong won't cost more than $1350!

So now it is time to put in the short shifter and 1 piece driveshaft...just need to find someone with a lift so I can do that.

Thanks a-one-bad-bone and everyone else for your help with my decision.

Mark / MSB Mustang54

Archived