TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Performance Tune

shelbypt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click on the HP-TQ link in my signature it has my dyno run and Air/Fuel ratio with the Evolution Stage 2 tune. On the bottom is the Air/Fuel graph. It is plenty safe and is actually running slightly rich.

Yes looks good.

excellent job .

Few questions.

You gains are from a stock GT500 not a KR correct?

Your gains also included are from adding CAI a tune and a BLOWER Pulley?

I thought the question here was about tuning a KR that has a tune and a CAI in it already, and talking about gains from a tune alone.

Not talking about adding a pulley or anything else.

The point was to show that the KR does have a tune in it already and the gains will not be the same as starting with a GT500.

Sean - Let me know when you're racing next and I'll put $1K on you to WIN...You're the MAN!!! Alan

Thanks Alan!! happy%20feet.gif Hope all your Shelbys are doing well!

I want to keep my KR as stock as possible, but feel a tune may wake it up even more. With my 07 GT500, I installed the JLT CAI with a tune and it woke up big time. Has anyone had a tune done that adds horsepower, but does not cause engine lights to come on? Also, anyone who's done any performance add ons that work, feel free to chime in.

Yes looks good.

excellent job .

Few questions.

You gains are from a stock GT500 not a KR correct?

Your gains also included are from adding CAI a tune and a BLOWER Pulley?

I thought the question here was about tuning a KR that has a tune and a CAI in it already, and talking about gains from a tune alone.

Not talking about adding a pulley or anything else.

The point was to show that the KR does have a tune in it already and the gains will not be the same as starting with a GT500.

Stock GT500. CAI, tune, pulley, plugs.

I was responding to the OP per his questions I bolded above. Just trying to point out that the Stage 2 kit gives you alot of bang for your buck. Just a performance tune alone without the pulley can gain 90hp.

Just a note about KR tunes.

KR tunes already have the Ford procal tune in them. Which is dramatically tweaked over a stock GT500. It has a tweaked driver demand table, higher torque settings, etc.

The only real power you will gain tweaking a KR tune is in the timing curve . It has 18 degree's in it stock at WOT most tuners bump that up to 21.

There a couple other things that can be tweaked a small amount, but if you want it safe and still get some extra power the timing really is it.

I'm not sure I can agree, at least for my situation. The main thing I want out of a new tune is to get the rev limiter out of the way. I think the rev limiter shold only be there for a gross mistake and you should never come close to it in a easy race. The KR is still building power big time (steep curve) when the rev limiter kills it. I know that engine can rap 7250 in that brief moment before a shift with no problems. (The stock limit is to protect Ford -- I think.) Also I was just told the evolution tuner will give a stock KR almost 600HP at the flywheel and this was by someone at evolution. That's worth the price of the tuner and they said they would set the rev limit to whatever I want. Just the low, LOW, TOO LOW, stock rev limit tells me the stock tune its not meant to optimize the hardware -- rather to protect it. I want to decide with my feet how much protection to allow. I'd rap it out to 7500 to win a race. I'm really not very fond of the stock KR tune. I also wish I could use the brakes whenever I want and not just when the ABS thinks it OK. A man can beat a computer at braking any day of the week and that includes black ice too. A few years ago I proved it to a friend that didn't believe me with a Bronco which has sure been fun as long as you fix or repair it daily. I for one vote for manual control of brakes steering and shift points. Now I guess I deserve to be flamed, LOL. I'm ready and my feelings won't get hurt...

I had another thought.... The reason i don't worry about the new tune giving me too much timing is I live at 5500 ft above sea level and when I roadtrip to visit family the towns are Los Alamos at 7200ft and Santa Fe at 6300ft. Something to consider is if you live in the mountains the air is thinner and if you remember the old days of rotating the distributor housing the rule was half a degree advance per thousand feet. If I plan to go someplace lower then I'll put the stock tune back in. ...or more correctly I may run stock except at the track. I'll see what happens when I get there. Still need drag tires and I want to get another set of KR rims and tires. Mustangs are cheaper than airplanes and I lost my medical so I now I want to have some extra fun on the ground. This forum is an amazing resource and I really want to thank everyone that contributes. The tire threads and this thread have been my favorites. Thank you all!!!

excl.gif I wouldn't push it that high- maybe 6500 tops. The rods face a 4.1 inch stroke- that's big-block territory. The stress on them increases exponentially as the revs go up. You may get away with revving the 4.6 but not the 5.4 unless you swap the stock rods for stronger ones.

This forum is an amazing resource and I really want to thank everyone that contributes. The tire threads and this thread have been my favorites. Thank you all!!!

I'll second that! Smart people here with experience behind them of what to do and what not to do with these cars. Very informative and willing to share information! Priceless!

excl.gif I wouldn't push it that high- maybe 6500 tops. The rods face a 4.1 inch stroke- that's big-block territory. The stress on them increases exponentially as the revs go up. You may get away with revving the 4.6 but not the 5.4 unless you swap the stock rods for stronger ones.

I agree completely!!!! ...as long as I'm winning the race 6500 is a good aiming point BUT if you're losing, wouldn't it be nice to have the choice to push up to 7000 because there is a whole lot in that range, winning amounts. MY old Camaro had an eldlebrock torquer manifold (6500 top end) and a cam and distrubitor timing to match. I beat a Green 428 Mustang with my Blue w/wh 327 Camaro on the way to Torrey Pines Beach one day by rapping that 327 to 7200 when my normal shift was 6500 and that very shift pulled me a few feet ahead. I'll quarantee that these GT500KRs have more in that same range than my Camaro ever dreamed of and its a potentially race winning option that I want the choice to use -- in other words if I want to use it, then I don't want a computer telling me no, I pay the bills not the computer and I can do the math in the moment. If it blows up, I'll build it better next time and I'll have more fun on both sides of the explosion. I bought this car as an investment and then got totally hooked so now it is a toy. I don't need it for work and I'm a disabled Vietnam vet that doesn't feel disabled in my Mustang. The car's a blast and I'm on my last march here so my desires are probably unique but I'll still bet there are others that would push a shift up to 7000 if it meant winning drag race. I mean how long will the engine spend above 6500 bofre a shift at 7000... a split second?? I'll gamble to win there and then never race the guy again, LOL!!!

• 4 weeks later...

John Lund got back to me today about tuning the KR. I guess I'm sticking with what I got. 10-15 HP is not worth the $400+ especially when I don't even race the car. But heres what he had to say...

As for the 2009 GT500KR I have tuned numerous variation of them from Stock to 3.6KBs... In stock form the KR calibration is nothing more standard shelby OEM calibration with a CAI added and more agressive throttle calibration. Timing curve is mild and air fuel is mild. So like any Shelby with a CAI already on the car a more agressive timing curve and slight leaning of the air fuel will pickup some power. In your case not alot because you already have the advantage of the CAI. If it were mine I'd add a 2.6 upper pulley immediately and a tune with a little more Spark. Tune itself average would gain around 10-15 rwhp and 15-18 rwtq. Not much but a noticable improvement. The Pulley would add boost 2-3lbs and the gain would be around 20-25 rwhp and tq.

I have tuned a few hundred KRs and over 2000 Shelbys.... So its bascially already been done. And contratery to Forum Belief I can put a KR tune on any Shelby and do.... with different CAI or break the tune up and use certain portions. Again the KR uses its own calibration Strategy but its based off the OEM stock 2008 Shelby with roughly 30-35 changes for the KR... Not a big Deal..

Thanks

Jon L

I pay the bills not the computer and I can do the math in the moment. If it blows up, I'll build it better next time and I'll have more fun on both sides of the explosion

Priced a complete blown 5.4 lately?

Again the KR uses its own calibration Strategy but its based off the OEM stock 2008 Shelby with roughly 30-35 changes for the KR... Not a big Deal

The KR is simply using FRPP's 113mm CAI. The question is, can Mr Lund write a tune that can be installed via the FRPP supplied ProCal II or do you have to go the SCT (etc) route? I've asked before without answer - do SCT and FRPP use two different languages?

Tob

John Lund got back to me today about tuning the KR. I guess I'm sticking with what I got. 10-15 HP is not worth the $400+ especially when I don't even race the car. But heres what he had to say...

As for the 2009 GT500KR I have tuned numerous variation of them from Stock to 3.6KBs... In stock form the KR calibration is nothing more standard shelby OEM calibration with a CAI added and more agressive throttle calibration. Timing curve is mild and air fuel is mild. So like any Shelby with a CAI already on the car a more agressive timing curve and slight leaning of the air fuel will pickup some power. In your case not alot because you already have the advantage of the CAI. If it were mine I'd add a 2.6 upper pulley immediately and a tune with a little more Spark. Tune itself average would gain around 10-15 rwhp and 15-18 rwtq. Not much but a noticable improvement. The Pulley would add boost 2-3lbs and the gain would be around 20-25 rwhp and tq.

I have tuned a few hundred KRs and over 2000 Shelbys.... So its bascially already been done. And contratery to Forum Belief I can put a KR tune on any Shelby and do.... with different CAI or break the tune up and use certain portions. Again the KR uses its own calibration Strategy but its based off the OEM stock 2008 Shelby with roughly 30-35 changes for the KR... Not a big Deal..

Thanks

Jon L

Sounds like the tune is good enough on it's own! I agree $400 is a lot for 10-15 HP. Adding a pulley with the tune is more of the power increase I'm looking for, but don't want to make those changes yet.

Thanks for checking into this Scotty....

Archived