TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Performance Tune

shelbypt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KR has a hard time hooking up in stock trim. The SS makes ridiculous power and doesn't have enough tire for its power. A neighbor of mine has a black SS. Says he has already spun it sideways twice with nominal power input.

At a certain point too much power can be counter productive. Everything I have read says the KR is a beautifully balanced car between tremendous power and handling.

I also believe when you go with the larger blower you lose the strut tower brace up front which is signifcant for this car since it is a nose heavy car and contributes quite a bit to the rigidity and stiffness of the chassis. The weight of the KR can be felt in comparison to our 2007 Shelby Mustang GT.

Remember too that wtih the bigger blower comes more weight + no strut tower brace = reduced handling prowess.

If you want an extra 15 hp or so why not just change the underpulley? Stock appearance maintained and a little more juice attained.

But...for me if the 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords dyno is right...589hp and 550 lbs of torque at the crank stock with 509hp and 467 lbs of torque at the rear wheels is plenty for me.

As Dirty Harry said "every man's got to know his limitations". I don't need more and probably couldn't handle it anyway.

• 1 month later...

Gary,

You trying to beat me or something? Don't forget, your car is lighter due to those super duty aerodynamic carbon fiber side mirrors....lol

This winter is killing us eh? I haven't driven the car since early December. I'm getting cabin fever.

Guys, I just don't understand why there is a need for more than close to 600 hp and over 500 lbs of torque at the crank on these cars. The dyno results for the KR STOCK show these numbers!!! The KR has a hard time hooking up anyway with all that power.

I'd be willing to bet that the times of a SS (725hp) and a KR for 0-60 and even 1/4 mile times aren't that far apart. The SS is going to be melting its tires in a cloud of smoke while the KR is hooking up and leading the way.

Does anybody have comparison performance times between an SS and a KR????

The KR is a beautifully balanced car between brute power and handling. Why mess with a good thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I've read guys with SS lamenting that they wish they had the Ford Racing Suspension like the KR instead of the Eibach because its too stiff. I guess the grass is always greener.....

I love the KR just the way it is...its an awesome piece of kit.

The TVS is Ford Racing Performances supercharger upgrade. It will bring the Shelby GT500 crank horsepower over 600. It costs about $5,600.

So has any of the KR owners dynoed their car? These KRs feel like they are pushing more power than the 540!

You can pick up a TVS for just over 4k now (I did.) It is definitley unerrated, as is the KR. All the dyno numbers show it. The 2.9 upgrade is in the mid 5's. These things have definitley dropped in price.

I got some work done on my '08 KR. I know a lot of people agree that you shouldn't mess with this car because of it's collectibility but I bought the car to drive it. I was fortunate to buy it for a very fair price from a friend's dealership so I was comfortable spending some money on the extra's. So anyway what I had done is as follows:

Swapped to a TVS Supercharger (polished at stiegemeier porting)

AFCO Heat Exchanger

Switched Upper Pulley

Ford Racing Throttle Body

Cobra Jet 123MM MAF Housing

Shelby Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank Set

Shelby Gauge Cluster

Shelby Dead Pedal Cover

Shelby Sequential Tail Light kit

Finally I had it retuned with the original tune saved on the tuner in case I need to reset it for service reasons.

All said and done the new Dyno figure came to 661 RWHP. It is around 750 at the crank.

Yes, the wheels spin like crazy if I'm not careful and I'm sure the stock setup and tune would beat mine off the line. I have ordered the SS's 20x10 & 20x9 Alcoa's from Shelby Performance Parts( backordered 90 days!! ) and I have the SS's Pirelli P - Zeros waiting as well. While I'm sure this will help with the traction issues I am aware it won't solve it all together. That said, I don't care. The engine just explodes with power when I turn it on and from 3rd gear on the car is untouchable. It's a treat to drive and I'm having a great time with it. So I guess at the end of the day do whatever makes you happy with your car! I did and I'm loving it.

For the record I saved all of the original parts and have them all labeled and resealed in cases in my garage in case I ever need to reinstall them down the road. You never know. If I were buying the car 20 years from now I'd rather have the improvements in it but I do understand people wanting "The Original" package. That said this wasn't a big concern for me since I have no desire to ever sell. I just LOVE driving this car. Here is a link to a video of the work done on my car in case anyone is interested ( mine is the first car) :

http://www.teamjdmvideo.com/video/detail/144/

Have a great day everyone and enjoy all your awesome KR's!!

Cruise night in Somerville was noted in Hot Rod magizine as one of the top ten in the country a number of years back.

Main Street Somerville, N.J. About 200 cars easy, DJ, restaurants, family atmosphere. Starts at 6 pm officially the Friday before Memorial Day and each Friday evening thereafter. Have to get there around 3:30 pm. for a good spot.

Send me a PM in the Spring and we will set up dates to meet at cruise night.

Regards.

I got some work done on my '08 KR. I know a lot of people agree that you shouldn't mess with this car because of it's collectibility but I bought the car to drive it. I was fortunate to buy it for a very fair price from a friend's dealership so I was comfortable spending some money on the extra's. So anyway what I had done is as follows:

Swapped to a TVS Supercharger (polished at stiegemeier porting)

AFCO Heat Exchanger

Switched Upper Pulley

Ford Racing Throttle Body

Cobra Jet 123MM MAF Housing

Shelby Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank Set

Shelby Gauge Cluster

Shelby Dead Pedal Cover

Shelby Sequential Tail Light kit

Finally I had it retuned with the original tune saved on the tuner in case I need to reset it for service reasons.

All said and done the new Dyno figure came to 661 RWHP. It is around 750 at the crank.

Yes, the wheels spin like crazy if I'm not careful and I'm sure the stock setup and tune would beat mine off the line. I have ordered the SS's 20x10 & 20x9 Alcoa's from Shelby Performance Parts( backordered 90 days!! ) and I have the SS's Pirelli P - Zeros waiting as well. While I'm sure this will help with the traction issues I am aware it won't solve it all together. That said, I don't care. The engine just explodes with power when I turn it on and from 3rd gear on the car is untouchable. It's a treat to drive and I'm having a great time with it. So I guess at the end of the day do whatever makes you happy with your car! I did and I'm loving it.

For the record I saved all of the original parts and have them all labeled and resealed in cases in my garage in case I ever need to reinstall them down the road. You never know. If I were buying the car 20 years from now I'd rather have the improvements in it but I do understand people wanting "The Original" package. That said this wasn't a big concern for me since I have no desire to ever sell. I just LOVE driving this car. Here is a link to a video of the work done on my car in case anyone is interested ( mine is the first car) :

http://www.teamjdmvideo.com/video/detail/144/

Have a great day everyone and enjoy all your awesome KR's!!

Now that is what I'm talking about, great job with the mods, and that polished supercharger looks great.

Thank you very much. Just wish those Alcoa wheels would come in. Just checked today and I'm 7th in line @ SPP! I need more rubber on the road!! I love the look of the polished supercharger as well. Especially with the throttle body and the air intake. Just pops when you open the hood. Thanks again and good luck with any upcoming mods. Keep us posted!

Thank you very much. Just wish those Alcoa wheels would come in. Just checked today and I'm 7th in line @ SPP! I need more rubber on the road!! I love the look of the polished supercharger as well. Especially with the throttle body and the air intake. Just pops when you open the hood. Thanks again and good luck with any upcoming mods. Keep us posted!

JADEDaddy, sorry for all the questions!!

Did you dyno your KR prior to any modifications and if so what was the WHP?

Also, the throttle body you have, how does the KR respond with it on, and did you put it on before the new supercharger or after the sc was installed?

Who did the tuning?

JADEDaddy, sorry for all the questions!!

Did you dyno your KR prior to any modifications and if so what was the WHP?

Also, the throttle body you have, how does the KR respond with it on, and did you put it on before the new supercharger or after the sc was installed?

Who did the tuning?

No problem at all. Ask away! Anyhow, I didn't have them Dyno it before the mods but this link might help you gauge where your KR is stock. You may have already seen this as it has been posted before.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/16/gt500kr-underrated-5-0-mustang-magazine-dyno-tests-the-king-of/

I did not tune the car prior to any mods. I put in all the mods at the same time right before Christmas and they retuned the vehicle accordingly. I'd be lying if I tried to give you an assessment on just the throttle body since they also put on the Cobra Jet 123MM MAF Housing and the new TVS supercharger at the same time and then retuned it. There were also a few other parts like the single piece drive shaft, new pulley that boosted the HP as well, so all in all it's a guessing game for me. All I know is that in the end the engine roars and I smile a lot these days!!

I know this isn't helping you very much but I just can't give you any accurate numbers as individual breakdowns since they were all put in at once. Sorry. The company that did all the mods and the tune is a place in New Jersey called JDM Engineering and the guy I dealt with is Jim Jr.. He is the owner's son and he was a huge help. He is a HUGE mustang guy and very eager to help for sure. Anyhow if you had individual part performance questions I highly recommend you give him a call and talk to him. Even if you aren't going to do the work at his place I'd be willing to bet that he will almost certainly take the time to explain every part and question you might have (he did for me).

If you haven't looked yet check out my profile, I posted a link to the mods on my car and it will also link you to the JDM site. Have fun with your KR and if I can help in any way please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Dino

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the information. That is what's so nice about this forum.

If your still looking for some answers check out this shop EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE, give them a call and ask away they seem to know the SHELBY the best.. They have a great tune ( I have not had it installed yet but from what I have read they are awsome)

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

So with all this said and done. Can us KR owners just get a simple flash and bump us up the 25-50hp???

I've talked to Evolution Performance and I will be getting a John Lund tune for the stock KR. They said it will give you a few more ponies. Plus it can't be seen!!

Here is reply from Justin at VMP Tuning...

Hey, definitely, there is a good 20-30rwhp in a tune alone, and if you want to swap a pulley there is another 30-40rwhp to be had. Check out this dynograph, it shows stock KR, stock with tune, and with pulley. The KR comes with frpp intake and pro-cal tune stock.

http://vmptuning.com/dynographs/tjpeckfrpp.jpg

Tuner only:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=163&parent=88

Here is the package with pulley:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=331&parent=88

Justin Starkey

VMP Tuning

Owner/Tuner

Ford, GM, Dodge Custom Tuning

Mobile DynoJet 224xLC

www.VMPTuning.com

To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply.

*SCT has changed the format of emailed custom tunes to .CEF and requires a tuner serial number to email a file, you will need the latest version of the program from www.SCTFlash.com *

Our Sandhills Mustang Club sponsored its 3rd Annual show here in April, and Pro-Dyno showed up. Here are the numbers for my STOCK KR: RWHP 477, torque 460. They "twisted" my arm, and after a SCT flash tune, got the following: RWHP 509, torque 495. My driving impression is that the KR is more responsive, and I'm getting better gas mileage (18 mpg combined city/highway). :)

Can you supply a link to that tune?

Our Sandhills Mustang Club sponsored its 3rd Annual show here in April, and Pro-Dyno showed up. Here are the numbers for my STOCK KR: RWHP 477, torque 460. They "twisted" my arm, and after a SCT flash tune, got the following: RWHP 509, torque 495. My driving impression is that the KR is more responsive, and I'm getting better gas mileage (18 mpg combined city/highway). :)

Does a performance tune other than from FORD void your powertrain Warr?

I have been told that other manufactures have a way of telling if you have made mods to the computer and then changed them back, so some owners have purchased spare computers to make the mods on and install the original back when it goes in the shop.. I am not sure if FORD can do this or not... headscratch.gif

Here is reply from Justin at VMP Tuning...

Hey, definitely, there is a good 20-30rwhp in a tune alone, and if you want to swap a pulley there is another 30-40rwhp to be had. Check out this dynograph, it shows stock KR, stock with tune, and with pulley. The KR comes with frpp intake and pro-cal tune stock.

http://vmptuning.com.../tjpeckfrpp.jpg

Tuner only:

http://www.vmptuning...d=163&parent=88

Here is the package with pulley:

http://www.vmptuning...d=331&parent=88

Justin Starkey

VMP Tuning

Owner/Tuner

Ford, GM, Dodge Custom Tuning

Mobile DynoJet 224xLC

www.VMPTuning.com

To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply.

*SCT has changed the format of emailed custom tunes to .CEF and requires a tuner serial number to email a file, you will need the latest version of the program from www.SCTFlash.com *

This sounds almost identical to what Evolution was stating over the phone. In the end it's probably a very similar tune. If someone from VMP or Evolution sees this, maybe they can let us know what the difference would be between the two. Either way, I think your getting a very similar tune and both companies are VERY reputible.

Archived