TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Synthetic oil

nascaracing

Hey, all.

I just picked up a case of oil for the GT500, and damn was it exspensive to begin with. But I still had a couple of quarts in the Garage, when I did the oil change I noticed that the new case I bought had a Gold cap on it, and stated "FULL SYNTHETIC OIL". My 2 old quarts just state sythentic oil. Is this a play on words, or what? Any one know what is susposed to be the difference if there is one. Also beware, by from the dealer will cost you around $130.00 for a case of it.

Warranty could come into play, make sure you are using the right spec... I think (correct me if I'm wrong, and it's raining so the Shelby and manuals are at home) it's spec a...

Since we are on the subject of the price of the oil, thought I would mention that AdvanceAuto has the Castrol Syntech Full Synthetic 5W50 on sale for 5 for 24.99 with a Purolator Pure One or Mobil One filter. Pretty good deal.

Thanks for the info on the sale. That's pretty cheap. I won't be doing an oil change for ages..but I might have to pick up some now.

I get mine at my local dealer (Airport Ford) for $6.95/QT. Motorcraft Full synthetic gold cap.

7 quarts for $49.00 and $4.00 for the Motorcraft filter. 1/2 quart left over.

Next oil change $42.00 plus $4.00.

Best part is the bonding time with my baby. :wub:

I get mine at my local dealer (Airport Ford) for $6.95/QT. Motorcraft Full synthetic gold cap.

7 quarts for $49.00 and $4.00 for the Motorcraft filter. 1/2 quart left over.

Next oil change $42.00 plus $4.00.

Best part is the bonding time with my baby. :wub:

[/quote

ditto!

Hey guys check this out. I went to my local Auto parts store yesterday and i told him that I was planning on doing my first DIY oil change and that I needed Full Synthetic Oil 5W-50. He looked at me and asked what kinda car I drove and I told him a ShelbyGT500. So then he went on about saying that the oil was way to thick for the temperatures down here in the south (Highs 85-100 May-OCt and Highs 70-45 Nov-April) and that maybe i could settle for something less thicker and also since my car is only a weekend car it would probably be better off 5w30 or 20.

What do you guys think? Should I be using 5w-50 all year around regardless of the high (hot and humid) temperatures down here or would it make sense to use a less-thick oil?

Thanks

Greg

Hey guys check this out. I went to my local Auto parts store yesterday and i told him that I was planning on doing my first DIY oil change and that I needed Full Synthetic Oil 5W-50. He looked at me and asked what kinda car I drove and I told him a ShelbyGT500. So then he went on about saying that the oil was way to thick for the temperatures down here in the south (Highs 85-100 May-OCt and Highs 70-45 Nov-April) and that maybe i could settle for something less thicker and also since my car is only a weekend car it would probably be better off 5w30 or 20.

What do you guys think? Should I be using 5w-50 all year around regardless of the high (hot and humid) temperatures down here or would it make sense to use a less-thick oil?

Thanks

Greg

ALWAYS USE the recommended 5W-50, the parts guys doesn't know what he is talking about.

an explaination of oil viscosity is when an oil temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil has the properties of 5 weight motor oil while at an oil temperature of 210 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil has the properties of 50 weight motor oil. This multi-viscosity behavior is achieved through the use of a viscosity modifier additive in the oil. The additive is dormant at cold temperatures but as the oil warms up, the modifier produces a thickening effect.

Thanks

Greg

Don't trust your parts dealer - use what's recommended by Ford.

Archived