TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Can't Believe This

snakeplissken

I had made a offer on a 07 GT500 last week to a Ford dealer a few hundred miles from where I am located. I had offered $7500 over MSRP. I talked to the Internet manager when submitting the offer, they were asking $14K over MSRP. I never got a call back from the Internet manager about my offer, so 2 days pass and I call the IM and he tells me he still has my name and number but that the car was sold for full price. So I assume the car is sold. So yesterday I call again same IM and I ask if the GT500 is gone, He tells me the deal fell through, So I offer $10K over MSRP for the car, he says he will call me this morning to tell if they come off the price. I haven't heard from the guy. This is horrible customer service, at least they should have the decency to call me back and say my offer wasn't enough. Is the Ford business so good that he doesn't have time to call me back??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had made a offer on a 07 GT500 last week to a Ford dealer a few hundred miles from where I am located. I had offered $7500 over MSRP. I talked to the Internet manager when submitting the offer, they were asking $14K over MSRP. I never got a call back from the Internet manager about my offer, so 2 days pass and I call the IM and he tells me he still has my name and number but that the car was sold for full price. So I assume the car is sold. So yesterday I call again same IM and I ask if the GT500 is gone, He tells me the deal fell through, So I offer $10K over MSRP for the car, he says he will call me this morning to tell if they come off the price. I haven't heard from the guy. This is horrible customer service, at least they should have the decency to call me back and say my offer wasn't enough. Is the Ford business so good that he doesn't have time to call me back??

Sounds like they are playing you. If they keep you "hanging" for awhile they can entertain other offers without committing to you. Sad.

Good luck finding a vehicle...don't give up.

Dave

Typically they seem to call you back if they are hurting to make a sale or have an abundance of sales people with nothing to do. They figure if you call back, you really want it and the price will not go down.

I lived this in my search too. I finally took a very pro active approach and went out/made my calls with my check in hand and photos of my trade for e-mail. I had pics ready from all sides, interior and the miles, and one of it under the cover in my garage to show it really was a 3rd car well taken care of. I quit trying to save $500 or $5000 and just went in with the deal I could be happy with and said here is what I can do out the door.....For me it was 53K and my trade that they said had 6500 equity I think was more like 8500 but what ever - I got the deal done and I got a lot of calls back from e-mails to people on e-bay just asking if they would consider a trade as partial payment. It took some time and walking from a few deals but in the end I got the car on my terms and really had a pretty good experience with the dealer in OH I worked with....He didn't take any plastic off or anything and let me drive it out of the show room. No one drove it other than at the Ford plant and there were only 7.9 miles on it.

Keep the faith and keep looking and just make sure to know where your line in the sand is and stick to it...if they sense you will go up they will push for every red cent they can get....not because they are bad, because it is their job.

Good luck!

The Unites States government has issued a recall on all cars and trucks that have a headlight dimmer switch on the turn signal switch. The purpose for this is to cut the traffic accidents at night by 90%. Apparently that the 90% that they plan to cut is from blonds, because they keep getting their foot stuck in the steering wheel.

Couple observations from me I went to a local dealer very early on trying to get on a list I was told my chances were not very good due to the fact they were getting 4 cars and they already had 7 people on their list. Also I got the phrase its going to be really expensive told to me alot. I evidently didn't leave the impression I could afford to even be on their list. So I moved on and started looking elsewhere.

Fast Forward last week I'm looking around again just seeing what the GT500 landscape is I did a basic online inquiry though one of the car searching websites I get a email from the local dealers sister dealership in another city, I had to work a lot last week so I put off replying to them. I've received 6 emails since last week inquiring if I'm still interested in a GT500 they have 3 of them 2 coupes and a convertible. The coupes have sirius and looked to be fully loaded. Prices aren't listed they want you to call for them so I'll call and see what ADM they have on them. These cars could be a second allotment or who knows what but they still have them sitting there unsold for whatever reason after me hearing how deep the list was and how little a chance I had.

I watched a auction on Ebay a couple weeks ago it started around 9:00am EST was a coupe starting at sticker price 2 hours later its up around $55k already. If I was serious about getting a GT500 off Ebay I'm not bidding till near the end of the auction so I could see who was the real competition for the car. To me that was a dealer setting his bidding up to make sure they were going to hit the target on maxing out profit for the car.

All the games and manevering (sp?) going on over this car is going to hurt alot dealers and really leave alot of bad feelings. It may just cause Ford to actually rethink how they do things like this in the future, I humbly hope so I really would like one of these cars. I knew when I walked in the dealership to get on the list last year I'd probably pay something over sticker. I can make what I believe is a fair offer for a car and let the chips fall wherever. I'm driving a new truck already its not a need to have situation for me, but I can always buy a nice lightning or a terminator used or both for what I might have to pay for a GT500 who knows what I'll do. :D

Snake,

I think alot of dealers think they have a captive audience and people are so anxious to get a car they aren't really paying attention to how they are being treated, I believe that to be a grave error on their part. Your story is a prime example of how messed up things really are, I sincerely hope you get car at a price your happy with.

Humble apologies for the novel like post

Couple observations from me I went to a local dealer very early on trying to get on a list I was told my chances were not very good due to the fact they were getting 4 cars and they already had 7 people on their list. Also I got the phrase its going to be really expensive told to me alot. I evidently didn't leave the impression I could afford to even be on their list. So I moved on and started looking elsewhere.

Fast Forward last week I'm looking around again just seeing what the GT500 landscape is I did a basic online inquiry though one of the car searching websites I get a email from the local dealers sister dealership in another city, I had to work a lot last week so I put off replying to them. I've received 6 emails since last week inquiring if I'm still interested in a GT500 they have 3 of them 2 coupes and a convertible. The coupes have sirius and looked to be fully loaded. Prices aren't listed they want you to call for them so I'll call and see what ADM they have on them. These cars could be a second allotment or who knows what but they still have them sitting there unsold for whatever reason after me hearing how deep the list was and how little a chance I had.

I watched a auction on Ebay a couple weeks ago it started around 9:00am EST was a coupe starting at sticker price 2 hours later its up around $55k already. If I was serious about getting a GT500 off Ebay I'm not bidding till near the end of the auction so I could see who was the real competition for the car. To me that was a dealer setting his bidding up to make sure they were going to hit the target on maxing out profit for the car.

All the games and manevering (sp?) going on over this car is going to hurt alot dealers and really leave alot of bad feelings. It may just cause Ford to actually rethink how they do things like this in the future, I humbly hope so I really would like one of these cars. I knew when I walked in the dealership to get on the list last year I'd probably pay something over sticker. I can make what I believe is a fair offer for a car and let the chips fall wherever. I'm driving a new truck already its not a need to have situation for me, but I can always buy a nice lightning or a terminator used or both for what I might have to pay for a GT500 who knows what I'll do. :D

Snake,

I think alot of dealers think they have a captive audience and people are so anxious to get a car they aren't really paying attention to how they are being treated, I believe that to be a grave error on their part. Your story is a prime example of how messed up things really are, I sincerely hope you get car at a price your happy with.

Humble apologies for the novel like post

You should be able to find one for 10K to 15K ADM.

You should be able to find one for 10K to 15K ADM.

I agree either hard or drop top at about 60K seems to be the magic number. I also found that on e-bay rather than bidding on there ask the seeler a question to open communication or call them if they have a number posted and ofetn times they will work to get to an agreement and end the online sale if you give them a deposit. The dealers are trying to do their job and make money. If a local person walks in and says I'll give you 60K and has a check in hand they will likely take it. If they are on e-bay it is because that has not happened yet and it's more adverising.

I came with in about $1400 of one locally that I found out about on e-bay and when I walked into see it in person they had a $20K "Market Adjustment" on it. I was also working with a trade so I needed to more or less do a deal for 53K cash and then my trade and they wanted $1400 more from me (even though they were really low balling my trade) they clearly figured I would bend or they would sell it to someone else...which they did but not at a 20K mark up. I think it was 11-12K over. The one I bought in OH I also found out about on e-bay and sent a question to see if they would take trades. This went fast as I had the $ ready and all of my pics of the trade (2005 V6 vert) and e-mailed all of that and told them there's the trade and I'll give you 53K but that's out the door,tax, fees, etc. They agreed and I showed up last sat. gave them the keys, the check, signed the paperwork and drove the Shelby out of the show room.....It took 30 minutes to go in inspect, do the deal and leave.

The point is 10-15K will get you one. Based on the numbers they put on my paperwork it was 8150 and change but they also I think low balled my trade so 10K is probably fair to say...I don't care as i got the deal i wanted out the door. In any case waiting for the e-bay auction is not the best bet if you are really wanting to buy one as I had 3 willing to end the auction early for me. THe one I bought was at 55,100 on e-bay and was ended 4 or 5 days early for my and according to the paperwork I only paid slightly over that number but they knew I was ready to do the deal and the risk of an e-bay deal falling through is much higher than the guy calling with his deal ready to go.

My opinion is to use e-bay and autotrader to hunt out cars that you want (colors, options, etc) but call them and work a deal. Most have been very responsive and good for me to work with and if we couldn't get a deal done it was no hard feelings, I know the market for these and they know I was someone that they could respect my offer on....if you come in over MSRP I can not imagine anyone will ever treat you like you are not worth their time.

but then again I've seen some funny things too - good luck but 10-15K over will get you one with a little effort - 8-10K over will get you one with a bit more effort I think depending on location too I suppose.

snakeplissken,

I would just let them know that you may have a deal a few states over. If they want to play the game why not? Then ask: deal or no deal-- because the "other" Shelby has the right color/option/whatever combo that you like, and you want to move on it-- or buy the one at their dealership. This forces them to decide one way or the other. If they are going to play you for weeks, they can :censored: off. Just my opinion. See? I do censor myself!

PS- do you wear an eyepatch, Snake? ;)

Supply and Demand. If any of us walk into a Ford Dealer on Dec 31st to buy an 06' GT (Not Shelby GT 500) we can rake them over the coals and walk away with an amazing deal......The dealers are not in business to be nice. Some are better than others, but I have only been able to really get a GREAT deal once. It was Dec 30th and it was pouring rain and I was buying a Porche Cayenne Turbo when gas prices were creeping up in Southern California. I got it for 10K under sticker. Again, it's Supply and Demand....MY Shelby.....20K over sticker......Am I upset??? All I can say is take a drive with me and when you change your underwear we will talk.

: )

Well much to my Amazement the call comes back 48 hours later, They want $13K over MSRP. The IM says he can sell it to another dealer for $13K over so thats what they will take for it. $10K seems like enough over to pay so I may wait for another one.

Dude - if this car is the color and has the options that you yurn for, buy it. If your toiling over 3K and this car is built to your pleasing you may be hard pressed finding a match at that price. My 2 cents, or should I say ADM. Ha ha.

On 12/16/06 I went to local Ford dealer in Berlin, CT and they had a vista blue w/white stripes GT500. It sold for 60K and they have a convertible on the way for 65K. The salesman reported that they were only getting 2 GT500's. I wonder if the salespersons know that Ford is making 9000 of them a year? Will the prices continue to be that high? I am thinking I will probably have to fly to a dealer somewhere in the midwest (away from the northeast and any major city) to buy mine at MSRP then drive the thing back.

I have a friend who was able to buy a GT500 for MSRP. We couldn't get him one as we were already sold out long ago, so he called in a favor from a manager he knows at an out-of-state dealership. He is the lone exception, though, as everybody else I know who has actually bought a GT500 paid over MSRP - anywhere from $10K over to $25K over. We must have hit the sweet spot at $10K over for our five '07's, as none of our GT500 customers even blinked when we told them our price.

But, alas, supply and demand is a tricky animal. Even though we sold the GT500's at $10K over each, we have lots of other new Fords that we have discounted thousands and thousands below MSRP every day, and with the factory rebates, consumers can actually buy a lot of higher end SUV's and trucks here for $8K-$12K under MSRP. We even priced all the rest of our Mustangs under MSRP - V6's, GT's, and California Specials - under MSRP and with rebates, too! Again, supply and demand.

Dude - if this car is the color and has the options that you yurn for, buy it. If your toiling over 3K and this car is built to your pleasing you may be hard pressed finding a match at that price. My 2 cents, or should I say ADM. Ha ha.

I disagree respectfully here. If the line is drawn at 10K stick with it and tell them you are willing to go there and that's it. If you walk from the deal then so be it. I walked from a few over less than that and was able to find one at what I wanted. I believe you should with a little effort find one willing to work with you at 10K over.....How ever if you can get them to say OK to 13K over out the door then it may be worth looking at since you will have to roll in tax and fees etc.

That being said if you have the $ and can afford it you won't be disappointed in the car.

As for coming to the midwest and getting one for MSRP - I live in the midwest (IN) and they have the same adm or close to it here as anyplace else. I shopped a lot and found my deal on e-bay in CInci, OH and drove there to get mine but I'd say 8-15K over is the going rate through out the midwest....even in the little hick towns as word is out on these cars.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 21 2006, 09:54 AM) 77071[/snapback]

I have a friend who was able to buy a GT500 for MSRP. We couldn't get him one as we were already sold out long ago, so he called in a favor from a manager he knows at an out-of-state dealership. He is the lone exception, though, as everybody else I know who has actually bought a GT500 paid over MSRP - anywhere from $10K over to $25K over. We must have hit the sweet spot at $10K over for our five '07's, as none of our GT500 customers even blinked when we told them our price.

But, alas, supply and demand is a tricky animal. Even though we sold the GT500's at $10K over each, we have lots of other new Fords that we have discounted thousands and thousands below MSRP every day, and with the factory rebates, consumers can actually buy a lot of higher end SUV's and trucks here for $8K-$12K under MSRP. We even priced all the rest of our Mustangs under MSRP - V6's, GT's, and California Specials - under MSRP and with rebates, too! Again, supply and demand.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Okay, I stand correcterd. I should have said he'll be driving a GT500 and I won't be for maybe quite awhile.

Grabber's GT500 is on his desk and at Job2 :hyper: , mine is still a figment. :cry:

Welcome 1FAFP90 (how in the heck am I gonna remember that ?)

It is good to have you here on the site. Watch out for Dog breath and Remember your on probation, so no funny stuff or Alloy Dave will have your A$$.

Have you been thru site orientation yet ?

I agree. If it is exactly what you want, buy it. If the prices stay (or go up), you will be kicking yourself for not doing it. I am glad I did.

Archived