TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Max power from A Whipple with a built shortblock

What do you guys think the max power that could be derived from a street 4.6 with a forged and modded shortblock?

what HP are you trying to reach? I would think the short block alone would be good for 900-1000hp, depending on what forged internals you used.

what HP are you trying to reach? I would think the short block alone would be good for 900-1000hp, depending on what forged internals you used.

Just a rhetorical question, I am cool where I am at for daily driving, I was just wondering where the upper limits are for a 4.6 and a whipple....

Properly prepped should hold more than can be safely made on 93 octane.

---

The beefier FRP 4.6 Aluminator shortblock is rated up 750bHP (available with flat/dished pistons for NA/SC) ...likely conservative.

For well over 1000rwHP a proper alloy-FGT build would be a good choice (different deck-height than 4.6) up to 5.4 (5.8 with siamesed sleeves).

Romored 5.0 Coyote coming in MY11 MGT will use spray-bore tech (vs liners) so about 0.10" more bore in same spacing and about 0.10 more stroke in slightly longer cylinder -- likely a beffier alloy block than present 4.6 too. Should be relatively cheap (volume block) once abailable thru Ford parts (similar strength as Aluminator?). I'm guessing it will become the new aftermarket sweetheart ;-)

Depends on which Whipple you use and what is done to the engine as far as cylinder heads and cams. Typically we've seen mid-600hp figures on pump gasoline which is really pushing your luck with ANY pump gas. Just one bad batch and you've got really expensive aluminum paperweights.

With VP C10 unleaded we have made over 740 hp with the Whipple. Change it over to C-16 fuel and it might push 800 hp but that would really be pushing the blower.

Oh ...no prob ...I thought someone actually had a specific strength/power rating of some sort on the alloy 3V. -Dan

So off topic Dan...and I posted on the 427 cobra forum as well, but I know you have a lot of knowledge on the early engines...whats a 427 side oiler engine complete worth that turns over but needs to be gone through? Thanks-Randy

So off topic Dan...and I posted on the 427 cobra forum as well, but I know you have a lot of knowledge on the early engines...whats a 427 side oiler engine complete worth that turns over but needs to be gone through? Thanks-Randy

Randy, I really have no idea on that. Might be worth a call to the Shelby engine shop in Gardena CA since they specialize in the 427FE and offer quite a few updated parts for them.

Thanks...now those are COOL!

Yeah, I still have a big soft spot in my heart for the tunnel-ram racing FEs :wub: ...they ruled! ;-)

Btw, the new H/Boss motor (6.2L going into the SuperDuty and built in Romeo) has nearly identical bore-spacing to the old FE and is rumored to have been designed to go to 7.3L comfortably. When Ford did the recent '11 SuperDuty announcement they specifically called out its oversquare design and its relationship to Fords racing motors of the past :spiteful: In fact the yellow Roush-Bowles Mustang test mule ran a 7.0L version of it on E85 last summer (2008) and was turning 9.40s/mid-140s in magazines, and 8.80s/solid-150s according to Bowles' team) on an NA motor!!! That's quicler and faster than the same car ran with a full-race version of the 5.4 FGT SC motor with various *large* aftermarket SCs. A DOHC version of that motor was rumored in testing about 18 months ago but dunno anthing else about it except that Ford execs (Mark Fields, I beleive) specifically said about a year ago that there was never a plan to put the H/Boss in the Mustang -- but that doesn't mean there won't be in the future ...a DOHC alloy version sure would be killer! ...BOSS 429? :bandance: -lol.

Yeah, I still have a big soft spot in my heart for the tunnel-ram racing FEs :wub: ...they ruled! ;-)

Btw, the new H/Boss motor (6.2L going into the SuperDuty and built in Romeo) has nearly identical bore-spacing to the old FE and is rumored to have been designed to go to 7.3L comfortably. When Ford did the recent '11 SuperDuty announcement they specifically called out its oversquare design and its relationship to Fords racing motors of the past :spiteful: In fact the yellow Roush-Bowles Mustang test mule ran a 7.0L version of it on E85 last summer (2008) and was turning 9.40s/mid-140s in magazines, and 8.80s/solid-150s according to Bowles' team) on an NA motor!!! That's quicler and faster than the same car ran with a full-race version of the 5.4 FGT SC motor with various *large* aftermarket SCs. A DOHC version of that motor was rumored in testing about 18 months ago but dunno anthing else about it except that Ford execs (Mark Fields, I beleive) specifically said about a year ago that there was never a plan to put the H/Boss in the Mustang -- but that doesn't mean there won't be in the future ...a DOHC alloy version sure would be killer! ...BOSS 429? :bandance: -lol.

[/quote/]

:drool::drool::drool: Holy Crap!!! That is very cool! Thanks for the info!! There is a reason Ford did not get bailed out and I think the performance car development and offerings really help.... :happy feet:

...aside from the 6.2 H/Boss for the SuperDuty and Raptor, the rest about that motor is rumor ...but it sure would be a sweet bullet for Mustang :) ...and Ford has kept the BOSS trademarks 'current' (BOSS 302, 351 and 429) tho in the context of accessories/models, etc, but the in-use proof Ford filed with the trademark office on the "BOSS 429" trademark was a picture of the side of a white "BOSS 429" :spiteful: -- not a jacket or hat or model car, etc. ...does make ya wonder given Ford's comments on the H/Boss engine and the pics that show it in a Superduty clearly branded as "6.2L BOSS." Could be just an engine-branding program ...but that wouldn't preclude any of the other rumors either. :shrug:

Not a Whipple, I think its a Vortech or a Pro charger. This car is dialed in @1000hp 3v aluminator. This car hooks and goes.

Justin runs the Pro Charger, last year he used the FR 3v short block and it held up very well

Archived