TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcohol at Work

So now I have fired 2 employees for drinking at work in the last year...WTF?

The last guy could not stay sober for 2 3 days a week to work, that was his only job. Crazy, drinking 24oz cans of malt beer in the employee bathroom and he was the only one there on those days...Duh!!!

That was hard to figure out...

I like to enjoy a night out and party hard but this is bad news...neighboring business said he feel down one day outside my business, I hired him as I knew his mother...

Thanks for letting me vent...its sad and disappointing.

I had a situation like that several years ago. One of my best Technicians, who at the time was only 22 years old, had a severe drinking problem. I made an agreemnent with him to commit to an Antibuse program and believe it or not, he drank while he was on antibuse so he could try to become amune to the stuff. (I think he finally accomlished it) I had to let him go...

His still has a drinking problem to this day.

The last guy could not stay sober for 2 3 days a week to work, that was his only job. Crazy, drinking 24oz cans of malt beer in the employee bathroom and he was the only one there on those days...Duh!!!

I like to enjoy a night out and party hard but this is bad news...neighboring business said he feel down one day outside my business, I hired him as I knew his mother...

You did the right thing...I don't like seeing anyone lose their jobs but if you can't wait till you get

home it's just to bad...I was part owner of a company till last Jan and one of first things I would

tell a new employee was...If I catch you drinking or doing drugs on the job no chances you're

gone...I'm glad I didn't have to do it after 20 years of buis.

What sucks is that in an economy where jobs are scarce this guy was doing this, then he begged to keep his job. Hard day.

Really amazing was that I was trying to help him do a better job as he could not keep it together, and he was really good at hiding the drinking part, now it all makes sense...and I thought I was a pretty aware guy...this guy was a true pro at hiding it.

Thanks guys...I hate firing people its never pleasant.

I can't imagine being an alcoholic to the point where you have to have it all through the day!

I am the child of two alcoholics and it was . . . I guess sad is the word . . . how they rationalized things such as the use of alcohol throughout the day. My folks were not abusive people and were pretty much loved by all who did not live within our four walls. Living within our four walls I found that running the "business" of parenting two kids does not work so well when the "owners" are impaired. Alcoholism is an insidious disease and it cause good people do things that are not so good.

Jim

Sorry Jim, that sounds like a tough deal. Thankfully this guy is single and about 39. My family all partied hard but I was taught at a young age that there is a time to play and a time to work. Sadly, addicts don't have that ability.

You know, you nailed it. You can either separate play time from work time or you can't. What keeps me in line is that I never want to lose the ability to have the play time (and knowing we have play time makes the work time easier to deal with, too).

Jim

Alcoholism is a disease.

It's curable, but one can relapse and be right back in the same spot with in a week.

The recovery rate of people that stay clean and sober is not very good.

I know all about this, from experiance.

I keep this in my pocket so I don't forget.

th_MiscPhotos3131.jpg

Many times I have to flip it over and read the words on the back.

th_AAcoins034.jpg

If anyone needs any help with this, let me know.

Hey it could be worse picture back in the 90's me at work with a tall boy!!! I would love to share some crazy times but not online but when, I look back it was pretty crazy.

Archived