TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How To Approach Problem? Opinions Wanted

AlloyDropTop

My 2008 has had a front end noise since day 1. It sounds like what is described at "strut chuckle", "loose lumber", "strut mount noise", etc... It could also be described as a noise you would expect with a loose shock, loose swaybar mount, loose control arm bushing, loose / worn ball joint, etc...

It has been to a dealer numerous times and even they agree it seems excessive, but two things are working against me. When the dealer agreed with me, they got a regional engineer to come out from Ford and he drove two other examples at different dealers and said that they both did it. Then me being skeptical, I asked to drive one myself, and not one of the two he drove. So a 2009 came in last summer and I drove it practically right off the truck, and it did it exactly the same as mine. So, Ford extends my suspension warranty and it is end of story.....

95% of my driving is roof down, so I don't hear it as much, and I just did my best to ignore it all summer. Now it gets cold out, and I take it out a few times with the top up, and I hear it all the time.

Every slow speed bump produces a loose sound in the front end. Something is moving that shouldn't be, in my opinion.

The car has had the struts replaced and the strut mounts. The dealer ran the car without the swaybar, and it still did it, so it isn't the swaybar.

They told me thta Ford is aware of the noise, but that they don't plan on fixing it, as they all do it and not that many people have complained.

As much as I want to believe it is "typical", I post on the forums, and everybody, except one or two, tell me that their cars have really quite suspensions and that their cars make no noises.

So.....how do I approach attemting to get this fixed?

Do I call SVT? Do I call Ford Customer Service / Satisfaction? Do I go to dealer again (although I don't think they can do anymore now thta Ford Regional engineer says "normal". Does anybody have a contact high enough up that I can get somebody that can have this properly investigated?

I really want somebody that had the authority and ability to replace every part until they find it, or I want to be absolutely convinced that Ford GT500's have really loud impact noises that move thru the chassis more than any car I have ever owned.

Ok, i'm gonna go in the opposite direction just for the hell of it.

Did you look at the engine brace that runs between the shock towers on top of the engine? Remove it and go for a slow ride to see if that's it.

I removed it and it didn't go away.

This noise was actually worse back in the beginning I think, and back then, before the struts and strut mounts were replaced, I removed it and it got better. Then they replaced those components and now with it on / off, it doesn't seem to make much difference. It does seem to carry the noise up top more, so you noitice it more with it on. I even had made some rubber isolators to sandwich between the strut bar and the strut tower and it did reduce the transmission. It is like the strut bar amplifies the sound like a speaker, but the noise is still present even with it off.

My 2008 has had a front end noise since day 1. It sounds like what is described at "strut chuckle", "loose lumber", "strut mount noise", etc... It could also be described as a noise you would expect with a loose shock, loose swaybar mount, loose control arm bushing, loose / worn ball joint, etc...

It has been to a dealer numerous times and even they agree it seems excessive, but two things are working against me. When the dealer agreed with me, they got a regional engineer to come out from Ford and he drove two other examples at different dealers and said that they both did it. Then me being skeptical, I asked to drive one myself, and not one of the two he drove. So a 2009 came in last summer and I drove it practically right off the truck, and it did it exactly the same as mine. So, Ford extends my suspension warranty and it is end of story.....

95% of my driving is roof down, so I don't hear it as much, and I just did my best to ignore it all summer. Now it gets cold out, and I take it out a few times with the top up, and I hear it all the time.

Every slow speed bump produces a loose sound in the front end. Something is moving that shouldn't be, in my opinion.

The car has had the struts replaced and the strut mounts. The dealer ran the car without the swaybar, and it still did it, so it isn't the swaybar.

They told me thta Ford is aware of the noise, but that they don't plan on fixing it, as they all do it and not that many people have complained.

As much as I want to believe it is "typical", I post on the forums, and everybody, except one or two, tell me that their cars have really quite suspensions and that their cars make no noises.

So.....how do I approach attemting to get this fixed?

Do I call SVT? Do I call Ford Customer Service / Satisfaction? Do I go to dealer again (although I don't think they can do anymore now thta Ford Regional engineer says "normal". Does anybody have a contact high enough up that I can get somebody that can have this properly investigated?

I really want somebody that had the authority and ability to replace every part until they find it, or I want to be absolutely convinced that Ford GT500's have really loud impact noises that move thru the chassis more than any car I have ever owned.

The noise is not normal, they don't all make the noise you described. I have had mine three years and it has never made the noise you decribed. I have driven a few different 07 & 08s and none of them make the noise either. So you know the rep was either feeding you line of BS or it is one heck of a coinsidence that he drove two others specificaly to check for the noise and they both did it. I say throw the BS flag up high.

I have heard of a few gt500s having bad "noisy" strut spring assemblies, more specificly the Upper Mount Assembly. The dealer may have changed your struts and reassembled with the noisy mount assembly? I know a missadjusted "loose" wheel bearing will also make the noise you have. I also heard of at least one GT500 having loose subframe bolts. You surely have loose bolts or binding of some kind causing the noise. It might be one loose nut or bolt, it's something besides normal IMO. A good next step would be to clarify the dealer changed the upper mount assemblies, next have them check the frame support bar that is directly under the transmission bellhousing. I wouldn't let it go until it was fixed.

Edited by LuckySnake

I removed it and it didn't go away.

This noise was actually worse back in the beginning I think, and back then, before the struts and strut mounts were replaced, I removed it and it got better. Then they replaced those components and now with it on / off, it doesn't seem to make much difference. It does seem to carry the noise up top more, so you noitice it more with it on. I even had made some rubber isolators to sandwich between the strut bar and the strut tower and it did reduce the transmission. It is like the strut bar amplifies the sound like a speaker, but the noise is still present even with it off.

My '07 GT 500 had a loud "scrunch" sound, like metal rubbing together whenever the suspension articulated with wheels turned. I carried mine in and it was found to be separated bushings on the front lower control arm. They were replaced and my front end is now quiet. Have them check these bushings.

The noise is not normal, they don't all make the noise you described. I have had mine three years and it has never made the noise you decribed. I have driven a few different 07 & 08s and none of them make the noise either. So you know the rep was either feeding you line of BS or it is one heck of a coinsidence that he drove two others specificaly to check for the noise and they both did it. I say throw the BS flag up high.

I have heard of a few gt500s having bad "noisy" strut spring assemblies, more specificly the Upper Mount Assembly. The dealer may have changed your struts and reassembled with the noisy mount assembly? I know a missadjusted "loose" wheel bearing will also make the noise you have. I also heard of at least one GT500 having loose subframe bolts. You surely have loose bolts or binding of some kind causing the noise. It might be one loose nut or bolt, it's something besides normal IMO. A good next step would be to clarify the dealer changed the upper mount assemblies, next have them check the frame support bar that is directly under the transmission bellhousing. I wouldn't let it go until it was fixed.

I agree with all that you say, but how do I get somebody who actually cares and can get my problem solved? The dealer says that they can't go any further, since the Ford engineer / rep said it is normal. In the end the person in the phone from Ford said that they are aware of this, but may or may not ever address it. So the best she could offer was the extended warranty. At that point I was beat up from all the trips back and meetings, etc... I sort of gave up, but now my energy is back up and I am working up the eneregy to go after this again.

I can't take it to another dealer, since the Oasis says it is normal and I think tells them not to attempt to fix (probably says I am "crazy" in the notes...). Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy....

I agree with all that you say, but how do I get somebody who actually cares and can get my problem solved? The dealer says that they can't go any further, since the Ford engineer / rep said it is normal. In the end the person in the phone from Ford said that they are aware of this, but may or may not ever address it. So the best she could offer was the extended warranty. At that point I was beat up from all the trips back and meetings, etc... I sort of gave up, but now my energy is back up and I am working up the eneregy to go after this again.

I can't take it to another dealer, since the Oasis says it is normal and I think tells them not to attempt to fix (probably says I am "crazy" in the notes...). Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy....

Doesn't sound normal to me. I have some interior rattles and squeaks, but none from the suspension.

Your not crazy for wanting your 50K car not to clunk. Take a look at your reciepts from Ford and see if you can verify the upper mounts were changed. Everyone is trying to cut expenses and warranty work is not excluded, Ford would rather not spend more money on a problem that can be called "normal". It can be fixed. Can you post a sound clip? I would try to get the dealer motivated in a nice way by explaining other people don't have the noise and you need to have it corrected. Your car is new enough that you have more options.

Have you considered just upgrading your springs and upper plates? I do have a set of Steeda springs for sale for a convertible (for a good price) that give a nice ride while providing a nice stance. Click on the pic in my signature with the truck and my car. That is the springs. I don't have the camber plates to sell you but pick up a set of J&M camber plates as well. To have just springs and plates installed should not cost much or do it yourself as I did. You will need an alignment afterward but that does not cost much either. At least this would give you some more info about the problem while upgrading your ride.