TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Brake Pads

Jesse_Bolt

I am looking to replace my front brake pads. Whatever I get, I want them to have less brake dust. I have heard the rave reviews of ceramic brake pads, especially the Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads. Then I go to the Hawk Performance web site and they offer two brake pads for my 2007 Shelby GT500 that create less brake dust than OEM brake pads...

HPS - High Performance Street Brake Compound $125 at Tire Rack

- and -

PC - Performance Ceramic Brake Compound $129 at Tire Rack

¿Which brake pad do you recommend?

- or -

¿Should I look at a different brake pad?

Thanks in advance,

JB

Greenville, NC

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am looking to replace my front brake pads. Whatever I get, I want them to have less brake dust. I have heard the rave reviews of ceramic brake pads, especially the Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads. Then I go to the Hawk Performance web site and they offer two brake pads for my 2007 Shelby GT500 that create less brake dust than OEM brake pads...

- and -

- or -

Thanks in advance,

JB

Greenville, NC

I've heard Hawk makes a great pad. I bought Porterfield pads from MYROADSTER.NET, great bunch of guys.

If you do, be sure to treat your rotors with the supplied treatment to prevent squeeling.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

- and -

- or -

Thanks in advance,

JB

Greenville, NC

Of the two pads listed, the Ceramic pads will produce less dust, and the HPS pads will give higher performance, but higher dust.

You might also consider the Porterfield R4S if you're only driving the car on the street.

Dan

I put the Hawk ceramic pads on my GT500 front brakes and I am extremely disappointed with them. They will be coming off this weekend.

I have drilled / slotted rotors and under normal braking, you can feel the pads vibrating over the slots and holes. They also make a terrible noise when braking at very low speeds. Finally, brake modulation is poor. They bite too quickly, making a smooth stop difficult. They were properly bedded in with the included disc quiet applied. The OEM pads I took off worked perfectly -- just too much brake dust. In the past, I have had Akebono ceramic pads with slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads with slotted rotors and no problems. These are by far the worse pads I have ever purchased. :angry2:

I put the Hawk ceramic pads on my GT500 front brakes and I am extremely disappointed with them. They will be coming off this weekend.

I have drilled / slotted rotors and under normal braking, you can feel the pads vibrating over the slots and holes. They also make a terrible noise when braking at very low speeds. Finally, brake modulation is poor. They bite too quickly, making a smooth stop difficult. They were properly bedded in with the included disc quiet applied. The OEM pads I took off worked perfectly -- just too much brake dust. In the past, I have had Akebono ceramic pads with slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads with slotted rotors and no problems. These are by far the worse pads I have ever purchased. :angry2:

That's the first I have heard about the Hawk ceramic pads vibrating. I know they aren't the greatest for stopping, but usually decent.

Try the Porterfield R4S if you are only driving on the street.

Dan

I keep watching the infomercials for a super duty wheel-brake-dust demagnitizer that will ionically repel the dust particles from the wheels.....kind of like power-coat painting, only in reverse! Will certainly be my first "mod"........

OK don't laugh I've had these ceramics (front and rear) for about 4000 miles and they have performed GREAT. Install took all of one hour (including washing and polishing the wheels). Stopping power similar to OEM, no noise and most important NO BRAKE DUST. I would recommend them to anyone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...questid=2396388

OK don't laugh I've had these ceramics (front and rear) for about 4000 miles and they have performed GREAT. Install took all of one hour (including washing and polishing the wheels). Stopping power similar to OEM, no noise and most important NO BRAKE DUST. I would recommend them to anyone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...questid=2396388

I just called local Autozone to order the pads and they have them on the shelf, rears too. Rears are P/N: DGC1082. Picking them up after work tomorrow, 90% or better less dust and better than stock stopping works for me :)

I just called local Autozone to order the pads and they have them on the shelf, rears too. Rears are P/N: DGC1082. Picking them up after work tomorrow, 90% or better less dust and better than stock stopping works for me :)

You won't be sorry. I don't know if you've installed brakes before but you need the caliper tool for the rears.

May be your rotors, they could be warped???

Let us know how they work out for you - these are pretty inexpensive. We know they don't spew dust, but do they inspire confidence when stopping?

much much less than the stock pads, Here a pic of 1 of my wheels after a week of D&D.pedrosjunkstuff064.jpg

Wow!!!! A week of daily driving and staying clean like that!! All it takes is 1/2 hour of driving for my wheels to get filthy. I dont know why but i'm getting insane amount of break dust, really quick, on my wheels. I'm definately gona try these pads!!! Thanx man!

Wow!!!! A week of daily driving and staying clean like that!! All it takes is 1/2 hour of driving for my wheels to get filthy. I dont know why but i'm getting insane amount of break dust, really quick, on my wheels. I'm definately gona try these pads!!! Thanx man!

my wheels where never clean after a day of D&D , the hawk not much better,and they where loud. The AutoZone are just a better product, Im 100% happy with them, and after spending over 400.00 on different sets of so call performance pads. the AutoZone ceramics are a welcome addition to my car. the front and rear cost me 110.00 bucks. My wheels never looked so clean.

my wheels where never clean after a day of D&D , the hawk not much better,and they where loud. The AutoZone are just a better product, Im 100% happy with them, and after spending over 400.00 on different sets of so call performance pads. the AutoZone ceramics are a welcome addition to my car. the front and rear cost me 110.00 bucks. My wheels never looked so clean.

Do you feel they are as effective as the stock pads at stopping the car?

they are the same or better than the OEM Brembos. I have done some auto x and they feel great. I just had my brakes inspected and after 20K they look great.

How is the wear on the ROTOR?

My mintex pads have warn the rotors considerably more than the stock pads did. Likely will have to replace pads AND rotors at 30k. The dust is better than stock but not like the photos above. That is amazing. Looks like I may give a set of these a try next.

My mintex pads have warn the rotors considerably more than the stock pads did. Likely will have to replace pads AND rotors at 30k. The dust is better than stock but not like the photos above. That is amazing. Looks like I may give a set of these a try next.

+1 on stopping performance. I really can't tell the difference between these and OEM Brembos. Granted I haven't done any suicide stops, just everyday driving. As far as rotor wear, I just inspected mine with my tire roatation and they look brand new. Are the Mintex ceramics? I read somewhere that ceramics were easier on rotors than semi-metallics. Makes sense because there is no metal in the pad. I was skeptical at first because of the low price, but all I can say is try them. That is a true depiciton of the lack of dust.

Which Mintex pads do you run? Do you track the car with them?

Which Mintex pads do you run? Do you track the car with them?

D1001MX these are the Mintex Xtreame X-1 compound. Yes I open track the car. Brake fade is not my issue with these pads and they do work fine on the street. I never open tracked with the stock Brembo pads so cannot compare. About the same on the street but with about 50% of the dust. Rotor wear is significant though. Not happy with that for a mostly street pad. Pad wear is not that great either. About 1/2 gone in 10k miles and a few open track sessions. Stillen recommended them with the drilled rotors I bought from them.

Archived