TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions on these winter wheels.

Okay, let me start off by saying that i DO NOT plan on driving this car in the rain, snow, ice, etc. But i will be driving in the very cold weather and from what i have gathered up, the stock tires are no good in cold weather. I get my car around December, so i am considering ordering winter rims/tires to throw on right away. Let me know if you guys think these are a good choice for rims/tires. I wanted to get the most performance with the winter tires too.

Rims:

ASA AR9 - 19x8.5 / +35 offset -------19x9.5 / +45 ----Front/Rear

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseU...&sort=Brand

Tires: Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero

255/40R19

285/35R19

Also, does anybody have any experience using the stock tires in the very cold weather?

Hi TheWanderer316.

I don't have any knowledge of the aftermarket tires or rims you asked about....but I took the Shelby out with the stock tires this morning when it was 40 degrees and I didn't have a single issue with the tires slipping or acting any differently. This was after the car sat out in the cold all night too.

Now grant you, I'm not dropping the pedal all over town at redlights..this was just simple "here to there" driving.

Like you, I plan on driving my car all winter. I'll stay out of the snow of course. I drive it in the rain when I have to go to work...or some special occasion.

I'm sticking with the stock tires all winter to see how they work out. Honestly, I really don't want to drop another $1,000 or more for tires already. If I were swimming in money..I probably would switch them to something more appropriate.

BTW: I love the BF Goodrich G-Force KDWS series tires. They last forever and provide excellent year around performance. Unfortunately they're not available in the Shelby Tire size just yet. I'll wait for those when the time comes.

Hi TheWanderer316.

I don't have any knowledge of the aftermarket tires or rims you asked about....but I took the Shelby out with the stock tires this morning when it was 40 degrees and I didn't have a single issue with the tires slipping or acting any differently. This was after the car sat out in the cold all night too.

Now grant you, I'm not dropping the pedal all over town at redlights..this was just simple "here to there" driving.

Like you, I plan on driving my car all winter. I'll stay out of the snow of course. I drive it in the rain when I have to go to work...or some special occasion.

I'm sticking with the stock tires all winter to see how they work out. Honestly, I really don't want to drop another $1,000 or more for tires already. If I were swimming in money..I probably would switch them to something more appropriate.

BTW: I love the BF Goodrich G-Force KDWS series tires. They last forever and provide excellent year around performance. Unfortunately they're not available in the Shelby Tire size just yet. I'll wait for those when the time comes.

Thanks, i'll probably stick with the stock tires for a bit, and if they handle decent, then i will just keep them on.

Okay, let me start off by saying that i DO NOT plan on driving this car in the rain, snow, ice, etc. But i will be driving in the very cold weather and from what i have gathered up, the stock tires are no good in cold weather. I get my car around December, so i am considering ordering winter rims/tires to throw on right away. Let me know if you guys think these are a good choice for rims/tires. I wanted to get the most performance with the winter tires too.

Rims:

ASA AR9 - 19x8.5 / +35 offset -------19x9.5 / +45 ----Front/Rear

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseU...&sort=Brand

Tires: Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero

255/40R19

285/35R19

Also, does anybody have any experience using the stock tires in the very cold weather?

I recently bought four of the 8.5 wide AR9s with 4 Bridgestone LM22 255s, mounted with pressure monitors, from Tirerack. They look great but I have not installed them yet. Waiting for colder weather. The LM 22s were only $171 ea. as they are closeouts. The smaller rears actually work better in snow...narrower is better. Although I hope not to drive in snow, I got caught in a squall last year in MI, and my old '06 GT spun out while in cruise, to the tune of $6600 damage. I hope the combination of snow tires and stability control in my new GT500 will prevent any such mishaps in the future!

Archived