TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Mods to Shelby GT

I had a few questions regarding the mill in my 2008 Shelby GT. As a previous owner of two Shelby GT 350's and a few other Mustangs, I am fairly knowledgeable about squeaking out some extra ponies on the old 289, 302 and 351 motors. But, this new, modular 281 is greek to me, and after taking with Chip here on the forum, and a few others at specialty shops here in the Dallas area, it seems that if I really want to work over the SGT, I need to go the Whipple SC route. It sounds like to add another 75 to 80 rear wheel horsepower, without supercharging, would cost about $6500 vs the supercharger expense. I've also talked to the boys at Quantum performance in Farmers Branch.

Any of the Dallas owners here have any ideas or know any specialty shops they would recommend.

So, do I make a few engine mods or go the SC route? 390 to 400 HP would make a fine running SGT in my opinion.

Here's a shot of my 1983 GT convertible that I purchased new back in 1983. Still going strong with 65000 original miles and under wraps in Flower Mound.

post-26281-1254796217_thumb.jpg

post-26281-1254796217_thumb.jpg

I had a few questions regarding the mill in my 2008 Shelby GT. As a previous owner of two Shelby GT 350's and a few other Mustangs, I am fairly knowledgeable about squeaking out some extra ponies on the old 289, 302 and 351 motors. But, this new, modular 281 is greek to me, and after taking with Chip here on the forum, and a few others at specialty shops here in the Dallas area, it seems that if I really want to work over the SGT, I need to go the Whipple SC route. It sounds like to add another 75 to 80 rear wheel horsepower, without supercharging, would cost about $6500 vs the supercharger expense. I've also talked to the boys at Quantum performance in Farmers Branch.

Any of the Dallas owners here have any ideas or know any specialty shops they would recommend.

So, do I make a few engine mods or go the SC route? 390 to 400 HP would make a fine running SGT in my opinion.

Here's a shot of my 1983 GT convertible that I purchased new back in 1983. Still going strong with 65000 original miles and under wraps in Flower Mound.

Springer, go w/ the Whipple 550 at QP and you won't regret it! I am sure there are other good mod shops in the Dallas area, but if you want it to be in the Shelby registry you will need to go w/ approved mod shop which QP is. I made the 30 hour round trip to Dallas back in July and all the guys in Farmers Branch were great to work with and I absolutely love my new horsepower! :happy feet: Craig

I would have to say the best mod shop in the dfw area is gearheads in arlington.. as for HPP racing in lewisville I have taken many stangs there and will never take another back.... Travis franklin at gearheads is a awesome guy to do business with and will treat u very well, and keep you updated with whats going on with your car while they have it... As for QP i have heard good things from them also but never had any dealings.. I would not personally pay the extra money for them to install a SC just so I can have a car updated in the shelby registry.... just my 2 cents...

You are correct the engine mod that is the biggest gain with the least pain is a S/C.

If you are giving your car to your kid and/or someone for the next lifetime...get it in the registry.

Or if you just want to support SAI take it to Vegas...You will not regret it in the least bit and will have lifetime memories of the trip...they are all more than 1st class individuals at SAI.

The car actually has way more go than needed for fun now...but I have adjusted well to that... :hysterical:

Feels torquey and like a much bigger displacement engine now...runs HARD!!!

Any S/C will wake it up but after A LOT of thought and research I went Whipple 550 at SAI Vegas.

Hope this helps...PM me if I can add anything specific to your research...Cheers!

If you want 400 HP, go with the non-IC Whipple. HORSBYT went that route, as did 'Showcar'. They ought to be able to lend some advice.

If you're still unsure about adding a blower, squeezing an extra 80-100 HP out of your SGT the old fashioned way can be pretty spendy.

Before installing my Paxton, I did Comp cams, JBA headers, Steeda IMRC intake plates, BBK throttle body, a very aggressive tune, and a few other NA mods and ended up right at 400 HP at the flywheel. If you can do the labor yourself, you'll spend less going this route, but not much. If you can't do the labor, you'll spend more than what the 400 HP Whipple costs. Good luck.

Ken

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my questions concerning the engine mods to my SGT. I talked to both HP Performance and Travis at Gear Heads and the general consensus was that I needed to do the heads, cams, headers and a tuner to get the crank horsepower at 400. The cost would be around $6000 to $6500. They said for that amount of money, I would be better off with the supercharger which would cost another $2000, but would offer substantially more bang for the buck.

So, I proceeded to Quantum Performance and signed-up, with a substantial deposit, to do the GT/SC Whipple supercharger upgrade package. Looks like they should be on it by the end of October, or beginning of November.

Let the games begin !!! :drool::drool::drool:

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my questions concerning the engine mods to my SGT. I talked to both HP Performance and Travis at Gear Heads and the general consensus was that I needed to do the heads, cams, headers and a tuner to get the crank horsepower at 400. The cost would be around $6000 to $6500. They said for that amount of money, I would be better off with the supercharger which would cost another $2000, but would offer substantially more bang for the buck.

So, I proceeded to Quantum Performance and signed-up, with a substantial deposit, to do the GT/SC Whipple supercharger upgrade package. Looks like they should be on it by the end of October, or beginning of November.

Congrats! You won't be disappointed....Tell the QP guys Craig from SC says Hi and still loving it! Keep us posted and of course don't forget to take a camera to AJ so he can take pics for you during the tear down and install. Craig

Congrats! You won't be disappointed....Tell the QP guys Craig from SC says Hi and still loving it! Keep us posted and of course don't forget to take a camera to AJ so he can take pics for you during the tear down and install. Craig

Great idea. I'll do that.

Thanks again everyone.

Congrats!!!!

You will NOT be sorry. It is like a completely different car! Can't wait for pics of the install. I (idiotically) did not leave a camera at SAI. :cry:

Good Luck there Springer.... mine goes to Tasca on the 26th of this month for the same thing!!! I'm giddy with excitement!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Archived