TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A small mod that made a big difference...

CrzyHorse

In aviation, there are a small blue absorbent footies that go over the shoe and has elastic and them. They are used to cover your shoe when walking in expensive interiors to guard from tracking stuff in.

They would probably fit over the breather and contain or absorb any oil that came out.

Just a thought

Are there any part numbers for the filter and the plugs? I may try a catch can as well.

What you say is exactly what I am planning on doing. I have a catch can on order and will mount it with a "T" inline and run both pcv lines from each valve cover to the catch can. I bought a mesh breather cap from Auto Zone and with a little trimming of the rubber bushing, was able to screw it in the oil filler nice and tight. The plugs I haven't gotten yet, but I am sure they're just standard rubber caps that you can slip on.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ

What you say is exactly what I am planning on doing. I have a catch can on order and will mount it with a "T" inline and run both pcv lines from each valve cover to the catch can. I bought a mesh breather cap from Auto Zone and with a little trimming of the rubber bushing, was able to screw it in the oil filler nice and tight. The plugs I haven't gotten yet, but I am sure they're just standard rubber caps that you can slip on.

Steve

Bullhead City, AZ

Where are you going to route your catch can discharge line to? Or will you add another breather?

My take on the extra power you are feeling is indeed from the cool affect from removing the pcv and Also the affect on the tune,which would be a richer condition so you should be fine. You have removed the pcv, which is a metered air leak in its self. Thats my take. I would also caution that you may create an oil sludge condition over time in the engine due to the gases not being removed.

Where are you going to route your catch can discharge line to? Or will you add another breather?

I just installed the catch can inline back to the nipple on the bottom of the s/c. Decided to just put the catch can on and leave the rest status quo. I removed the stock line and used the stock fittings cutting them off the stock line with about 1 inch line left to fit 5/8ths rubber hose over. Turned out looking like a nice clean install. I thought about discon. the pcv lines entirely but mentioned it to a motorhead friend of mine and he didn't think it would be a good idea because of the lack of proper crankcase ventilation. He did suggest leaving on the oil breather cap which I did and said to try it and see if there feels like any benefit. Said under s/c boost there is an enormous amount of pressure build up in the crankcase and the breather oil cap may help in relieving a lot of that pressure which "may" make a little difference in quicker acceleration. Heck I don't know but I'll try it and if it dosen't seem to make a difference or a oil mess, I'll put the stock oil fill cap back on and leave the catch can of course.

Steve

BHC

Would hooking up a catch can with a breather on the downstream side while leaving the driver alone be a feasible option? This would still allow the crankcase to be positively ventilated with intake air, however would this "metered leak" be a problem since it was not going back into the engine?

Archived