TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 10 second 1/4 mile runs together now from Etown

HotRodHarry

My 10 second 1/4 mile runs together now from Etown

I finally purchased a video editing program that allowed me to do with with FLV vids

My GT has a Saleen Supercharger with a 3.00 pulley making 13 to 13.5 lbs of boost. Stock motor/stock 5 speed automatic trans/stock torque converter/stock rear with 4.10s/stock rear control arms/stock front suspension with stock swaybar hooked up/stock throttlebody. Mods besides Supercharger are 60 lb injectors/GT500 Pumps/Saleen Ulimate Air Intake and 95mm mass air meter/Roush Belt Tensioner/Kooks Longtube Headers/Kooks Xpipe w/cats/Ford Racing Mufflers/Spydershaft drive shaft/4.10 Ford Motorsport gears/Lower Control Arm Relocation Bracket/Drag Radials (Mickey Thompson or M&H..I run both) Car makes over 500 rwhp to the wheels(race tune) 487 (street tune) and all this on the stock original motor/trans/rear/suspension. Full weight....More on my website HotRodHarrys.com Tuned by TeamJDM.com in Freehold NJ

edit: added link from here to my timeslips for these runs also..

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...mage&id=230

Thank you!!

...I wanted to take the easiest path to getting 10's to show people that not all of these aftermarket suspension/control arms/transmissions/throttlebodys/more spark devices/front swaybar delete ,etc... products are really just a waste of money....but do look nice. I had tons of people saying there is no way I can do it without building the motor..getting a highstall converter...suspension etc....Some said 1.60 short times would be impossible with another converter....that day she was ripping 1.58 and 1.59's leaving at idle or just off idle. I can bring the stall up to 2300 on the stock original converter...but time wise...it doesnt matter....the car goes better either at idle or just alittle above. And I cant take all the credit...TeamJDM.com's tuning and knowledge of these cars ...especially with the stock 5 speed automatics. They go their one car going 9.75 at over 140mph with a built stoker motor and still the stock transmission. (Converter was a higher stall one though from TCI.) But that automatic trans was just a stock original. Of course they built up the rear and suspension on that car too...to try out different things.

If you look at my timeslips here in the 1/4 mile times area....my 1/8 mile is done in 6.8 seconds at over 101 mph. And up top as you se in the videos..she pulls crazy up to almost 128mph ...most that have more power and more into their cars are only getting 122 mph at the end. So my little ol Saleen blower is doing ok.....but that Roush TVS blower is the one to get if one puts some forged goodies in our 4.6 motors. The Saleen can do good...if ported abit...but its easier to just buy the TVS. I tell people that ask about blowers...if you are going to keep the motor stock..go with the Saleen...and go to TeamJDM.com. But if they plan on building the motor...Roush all the way. These motors can only take so much ..even with the right tuning. Our Rods are usually the things that go first. But most people that have this happen either have a bad tune or beat the living crap out of their cars and dont let them cool down or run them around a road course or something.

It still blows me away being an old 5.0 Stang racer and Musclecar racer, that we can do 10's..on all the stock stuff in my car(never broke a thing) even the stock axles and posi unit..no putting cams in or headwork....and still get 22.7 mpg on the way to the track. Ford did good .....and some of thse Techs out there are to thank too.

I've got a similar setup in my car although being a vert it has a few extra pounds and I've found that, as we Texans say: "It gets down the road right smartly".

I also bought mine from JDM and love their tune.

I only wish that I was getting 22.7 mpg however. Of course that 10% ethanol that the EPA makes us burn here in Houston doesn't help.

Do you mind just posting your times? We get blocked from Youtube here at work. Thanks and congratulations!

Thanks Mark!

I have the timeslips posted here in the timeslip area...Im number 7 on the list. Here is a direct link from here, to that scan of my timeslips from that day. I linked it in my first post too.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...mage&id=230

JDM Engineering or TeamJDM has been doing my tuning for years and as you say..Jim does all he can. I have been friends with Jim D'Amore forever it seems and me being able to just drive to his shop 30 minutes away works out great for dyno tuning and he even comes out for on the track tuning.

4:10 will do wonders the drag strip. plus it looks like you know how to drive that thing... I have read others with superchargers running 4:10 launching in second gear making consistant 10's its a testament to the mustang that it can deliver those numbers on stock parts!!!

Thanks ...Ford did real good. I even have the original Axles and Carrier.....the automatic allows alot of that

I almost wish I had gone 3.73 only...I was running 26 inch tall Drag Radials on the stock 17s and with the 4.10 gears... when I went up from 440 rwhp to over 500 , the car couldnt make the 1/4 mile...would hit the rev limiter at 6300 at 100 feet before the end. So then I went and got some 28 inch tall Drag Radials and presto...problem solved. But I do miss the total sleeper look of the 26 inchers back there...they were holding the power pretty good. She still is a sleeper though...idles very quite and reall doesnt look like your normal 10 second ride.

Other than being red, your GT really is a sleeper. These automatics do absorb quite a lot of the shock that may otherwise snap axles. I'm running a short 26" tall drag radial with 4.10's in my car, but I'm only trapping at 111 mph. This requires letting the trans shift into 5th as 4th hits redline about 200 ft before the traps. I can see why you had to go with a taller tire with 128 mph trap speeds. I would think that the abundent low end torque of that Saleen blower would let you get away with 3.55 or 3.73 gears without affecting ET's much, if any. Having a centrifugal blower in my car with no low end torque necessitates the 4.10's and big converter to get into the boost and peak operating range for my combo.

I recently ordered an SLP catted X-pipe and will also be installing their long tube headers. I've seen so many blown cars like yours really respond well to exhaust mods. My car is so corked up with the factory exhaust that there must be 50 rwhp bottled up waiting to be released!

Sounds like you have a plan....

But one thing I have to stress.....Do Not put your 5 speed automatic in overdrive when racing the car....that is one big no no and will eventually kill that trans alot sooner! Remember...come to the line...tc off and od off.....you may need 28's now too. Your converter and blower choice must make the setup so different than mine.

When I was at like only 440 rwhp and the 4.10s with 26 inch tall....my car was getting through the traps at 6500 rpms...I had the limiter even higher then because that lack of killer power....and my mile per hour was 121 mph with an 11.40 et.

Here is the old timeslips for those runs so you can compare. Im in the left lane both times....my favorite lane...LOL!

post-2004-1254765067_thumb.jpg

post-2004-1254765067_thumb.jpg

TC is permanently programmed off in my car. I hate using overdrive at the track, but redline (6400 rpm's) in 4th gear was 109 mph with the 26" tall drag radials and I was hitting that about 200 feet before the finish line. So, I rolled the dice, and let it shift into overdrive and it started going 111 mph, plus my ET's improved 2 tenths. I've only made two passes in overdrive and just had my trans fluid changed again (I do it often to be safe). I'm keeping the 4.10 gears, so I need a taller drag radial or a higher redline. 6700 rpm's would be enough to finish in 4th gear - just leary of spinning my engine that fast.

TC is permanently programmed off in my car. I hate using overdrive at the track, but redline (6400 rpm's) in 4th gear was 109 mph with the 26" tall drag radials and I was hitting that about 200 feet before the finish line. So, I rolled the dice, and let it shift into overdrive and it started going 111 mph, plus my ET's improved 2 tenths. I've only made two passes in overdrive and just had my trans fluid changed again (I do it often to be safe). I'm keeping the 4.10 gears, so I need a taller drag radial or a higher redline. 6700 rpm's would be enough to finish in 4th gear - just leary of spinning my engine that fast.

yeah..I hear ya....if your engine is stock like mine...I wouldnt really go much over 6300 too many times. The more power/torque...the less rpm to keep them alittle safer anyway.... I dont know...I always play it safe and I think thats why my car is still doing fine turning 10's compared to most that go kaboom ....LOL!!

yeah..I hear ya....if your engine is stock like mine...I wouldnt really go much over 6300 too many times. The more power/torque...the less rpm to keep them alittle safer anyway.... I dont know...I always play it safe and I think thats why my car is still doing fine turning 10's compared to most that go kaboom ....LOL!!

You talked me into it - taller drag radials it is. Plus, freer flowing exhaust. And, I'm not intercooled, so I'll be added methanol/water injection to keep IAT's cold while bumping the octane way up. Those 3 changes should net me solid mid 11's at 120 or better, IMO, assuming traction is not a problem and the engine doesn't go kaboom!

That will helpya out alot! In time , I would add the intercooler upgrade setup on your car. I am sure you know that.....

I like the 325 45 17 M&H Drag Radial I have out back on my 9 inch wheels. But I am going to buy their smaller size 28 inch tall to put on my stock GT wheels to get totally back to the sleeper look. They are 275 50 17 and both of these 28 inch tall tires stick incredible. And they give ya the sidewall needed for a good launch.

Here is a link

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70..._mode=cat_click

And no...they dont sponsor my car..LOL....they dont even know I exist

• 2 weeks later...
I recently ordered an SLP catted X-pipe and will also be installing their long tube headers. I've seen so many blown cars like yours really respond well to exhaust mods. My car is so corked up with the factory exhaust that there must be 50 rwhp bottled up waiting to be released!

Update: the SLP catted X-pipe went on recently, and I finally ran it at the local dragstrip. Almost identical weather (temp, barometer, etc.) to my last trip to the track with the factory mid-pipe and cats....

Before SLP X-pipe: 12.34 @ 111.93 mph

With SLP X-pipe: 12.14 @ 113.05 mph

So, freeing up the exhaust just a little netted me 2 full tenths of a second and more than 1.1 mph through the traps. Looking to add SLP's longtube headers next, along with their PowerFlo catback. That should be more than enough to drop into the 11.90's. I can't see my car ever getting into the 10's like yours, HRH, but it is certainly cool to see how well our cars respond to mods!

I have posted on so many sites to get the word out to help us all.

Much appreciated by all of us!

Question for you. I see your short time of 1.58. Do you credit mostly the low end grunt of your blower to that, or suspension mods? I typically run short times in the 1.80-1.85 range, but pulled a 1.797 over the weekend on my way to the 12.14 pass. My centrifugal blower doesn't make the instant grunt like yours, but my drag radials don't slip at all and I hook up with no bogging. If I could shave two tenths off my 60' time, I'd likely be in the 11's with no more power.

I do have lower control arm relocation brackets paired with the stock lower control arms. The change the angle of the rear to be better suited for drag racing. But when I did this..it made no difference in the car...I did this when the car was naturally aspirated and turning 12.70's. The main reason for my cars very good short times is the Saleen blower/tires and the tune. And lots of practice finding out how the car leaves best, how many pounds of air to keep in the drag radials and how long a burn out. All depending on the track conditions. Every car seems to be alittle different. My car..I leave mainly at idle for my best short times...but have left at like 2500 on the stock converter and turned the exact same 1.58 short time as leaving at idle. So that why I just dont bother putting the strain on the trans .....seems to be of no help preloading the suspension either on this car.

Archived