TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moaning Sound on slow turns

petmj1

Anyone experience this on their 2010 Shelby? Mine now has a little over 3,000 miles and I've begun to notice a "moaning" noise when making slow turns....for example...in a parking lot or while pulling into a parking place at work. Plan to take into the dealer this coming Monday. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone experience this on their 2010 Shelby? Mine now has a little over 3,000 miles and I've begun to notice a "moaning" noise when making slow turns....for example...in a parking lot or while pulling into a parking place at work. Plan to take into the dealer this coming Monday. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the club. This is an issue with all 07 -10 GT500's. Ford says this is normal, some place additional friction modifier in the differential. My 08 started to do the same thing around 3000 miles as well. The entire axle was replaced only to have it return 1200 miles later. I have learned to enjoy the sound.

I've encountered this in my 2007. Dealer tried to fix by adding friction modifier, but the noise came back. Recently I replaced the differential fluid with Royal Purple Max Gear synthetic 75W140 when I installed a Ford Racing axle girdle and I don't notice the groaning noise as much. Perhaps I just learned to ignore it.

"Search" and ye shall find.............. :read::stats:

First read THIS

Here's Another Thread

Then do a search using the words "moan" & "rearend" etc. Lots of threads, lots of info....

The noise may be "normal" but I don't like it. Mine didn't start making that noise till about 1,500 miles..............Personally the Eaton TruTrac took care of mine :hysterical: It's nice and quiet now :shift:

There is a TSB for this. They replace the clutch packs in the diff. I really thought they had fixed this on later model cars.

I got rid of my moan by switching to Rotella gear oil with 2 tubes of friction modifier.

My 2009 did the exact same thing... like a howling sound making tight turns, like in parking lots and such. It did it all stock with about 1500 miles. This is caused by lack of friction modifier. At least that's what i was told. Take it to the dealer, and have them take care of it. And by take care of it i dont mean add friction modifier. They have to replace the clutch packs. I would suggest if you are ever planning to change gears it would be a good to have them done at the same time. Good luck..

My 2009 did the exact same thing... like a howling sound making tight turns, like in parking lots and such. It did it all stock with about 1500 miles. This is caused by lack of friction modifier. At least that's what i was told. Take it to the dealer, and have them take care of it. And by take care of it i dont mean add friction modifier. They have to replace the clutch packs. I would suggest if you are ever planning to change gears it would be a good to have them done at the same time. Good luck..

I remembered the Clutch pack TSB is for Mustang GT's not GT500's.

There is a TSB for this. They replace the clutch packs in the diff. I really thought they had fixed this on later model cars.

I got rid of my moan by switching to Rotella gear oil with 2 tubes of friction modifier.

The TSB applies to the Mustang GT, which does not use the carbon fiber clutch packs. If you make a fuss, and the dealer replaces the clutch pack, they will only use the one called out on the TSB, which are non-carbon fiber. I do not advise this for the GT500.

I listened for the noise last night while driving in a parking lot and did not notice it. I switched to Royal Purple Max Gear (no friction modifiers required) and I installed the Ford Racing axle girdle, which increases oil capacity.

The TSB applies to the Mustang GT, which does not use the carbon fiber clutch packs. If you make a fuss, and the dealer replaces the clutch pack, they will only use the one called out on the TSB, which are non-carbon fiber. I do not advise this for the GT500.

I listened for the noise last night while driving in a parking lot and did not notice it. I switched to Royal Purple Max Gear (no friction modifiers required) and I installed the Ford Racing axle girdle, which increases oil capacity.

Carbon ceramic, and you're right, the CC clutch pack only comes in the GT500.

Archived