TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OIL 5w50 where are you all buying

tdusseau

Ok guys/gals, I am a Wal-Mart guy when it comes to oil change time. However I can't find 5w50 oil in Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advance Auto. WTF!

I do have a question. Can I use Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w40? It is a Diesel rated oil, and the Duramax and PowerStroke guys love it. I ran this in my Duramax and it was great!

Ok guys/gals, I am a Wal-Mart guy when it comes to oil change time. However I can't find 5w50 oil in Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advance Auto. WTF!

I do have a question. Can I use Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w40? It is a Diesel rated oil, and the Duramax and PowerStroke guys love it. I ran this in my Duramax and it was great!

I wouldn't use anything but Motorcraft oil. I buy mine HERE

Use whatever you want that meets the spec. Ford does not make their own oil they probably buy it Ford branded from Castrol or Mobil or....

It is the same as Gasoline, there are only so many refineries in the US and all the no name brands have to buy from them, problem is you don't know where the source is. For example, every Citgo Station is Venezuelan (haven't been in one in years, would rather run out of gas) and Getty is Lukoil (Russians). Valero is the largest refiner in the US.

Sorry got a little off topic there.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Jim

Stocked up on Mobil - 1 5W-50. I once used Castrol in my Honda Accord and noted a white creamy looking gel-like substance adhering to the inner oil cap during the winter months.

Never again.

Where are you getting the Mobile 1 5W50? I can't find it anywhere :banghead:

I've been using the FoMoCo that I get at my local dealer for $6.95/qt

How do you guarantee that warranty work not be denied? In other words, you buy oil other than MotorCraft - how do you prove to Ford that you used spec oil and for them to not deny warranty? I'm paranoid that when it comes time to warranty and I did not get my oil change at a dealer they'll deny me for some cheap reason like not getting my oil changed a Ford dealer but went to my local guy who poured spec oil in.

How do you guarantee that warranty work not be denied? In other words, you buy oil other than MotorCraft - how do you prove to Ford that you used spec oil and for them to not deny warranty? I'm paranoid that when it comes time to warranty and I did not get my oil change at a dealer they'll deny me for some cheap reason like not getting my oil changed a Ford dealer but went to my local guy who poured spec oil in.

thats why i bought the FOMOCO product.It aint worth the risk using another brabd oil,unless you have it in wrtiting that it meets the Ford B spec.Many brands meet the spec,but Ford has been slow in licensing.Just use the brand,order it from KMAN,if you arent an oil change guy,bring the oil and filter to your oil chnage spot.And as Woody Allen said, "You're not paranoid if they really are after you"

this topic has been beaten to death...

but if you don't want to play ford's monopoly game... castrol Syntec is B spec and thus warranty approved...

yes i have the link to prove it if you can't find it on their website

I know this about oil topics. It is just that my local stores do not carry 5w50 in any brand, so was wondering what up.

I wouldn't use anything but Motorcraft oil. I buy mine HERE

+1,000! :yup:

thats why i bought the FOMOCO product.It aint worth the risk using another brabd oil,unless you have it in wrtiting that it meets the Ford B spec.Many brands meet the spec,but Ford has been slow in licensing.Just use the brand,order it from KMAN,if you arent an oil change guy,bring the oil and filter to your oil chnage spot.And as Woody Allen said, "You're not paranoid if they really are after you"

I agree - why risk it? It's not like Motorcraft is an inferior oil, or anything! I've sent multiple samples of the Motorcraft to Black Stone every oil change to be analyzed, and it's doing fine.

Of course... to each his own. I choose not to worry about it. :shrug:

I know this about oil topics. It is just that my local stores do not carry 5w50 in any brand, so was wondering what up.

Ford first called for this oil with the development of the Ford GT supercar. When the GT500 came about Ford continued to call for the same weight oil but changed the elements a little and referred to it as the "B" spec verses the "A" spec that up till that point was only for the Ford GT.

Ford first called for this oil with the development of the Ford GT supercar. When the GT500 came about Ford continued to call for the same weight oil but changed the elements a little and referred to it as the "B" spec verses the "A" spec that up till that point was only for the Ford GT.

Actually if you delve into the difference between A & B is the amount of zinc phosphate,which is lower with the B,and positively affects the life of the catalytic converter

Archived