TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 RARE Collectable!

hitman007

Its hard to get an exact number but a friend of mine at FOMOCO told me that the total number of 2010 GT500's built will be less than 1,000 cars. To put it in perspective there were 1920 Plymouth Superbirds built, 1966 Shelby Mustangs were at 2380 total, 2007 GT500's at 5,632. Also a total of 1,571 KR's for the US market. Start marking up those 2010 prices now!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its hard to get an exact number but a friend of mine at FOMOCO told me that the total number of 2010 GT500's built will be less than 1,000 cars. To put it in perspective there were 1920 Plymouth Superbirds built, 1966 Shelby Mustangs were at 2380 total, 2007 GT500's at 5,632. Also a total of 1,571 KR's for the US market. Start marking up those 2010 prices now!!!

I heard that it'll be twice that plus... If true, then you definitely have a collectable.

That is completely wrong with all due respect to your friend. More scare tactics from dealers and ford reps.

I didn't want to mention this til I was completely done...but I'm in the process of collecting all of the 2010 Shelby GT500 online window stickers. I'm only 2/3's through just the COUPE window stickers and I'm already at 1500! I still have to go through all of the CONVERTIBLE number variables as well.

I'm organizing them by state, color and build date. I'll post the complete breakdown when I'm done in a separate thread.

Just as an example...there were over 180 Coupes built in June alone. I'm also shocked to see how many cars went to Canada and Mexico.

Dont know the exact number but its WAY more than 1500 cars!! I was told production would be alittle less than the previous years because of demand. I told him demand here was still good for the car!!!

Again Im DONT know the exact number, but its MORE than 1500 units

MM

Still feelin' 9k? :lurk:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...5420&st=120

That is completely wrong with all due respect to your friend. More scare tactics from dealers and ford reps.

I didn't want to mention this til I was completely done...but I'm in the process of collecting all of the 2010 Shelby GT500 online window stickers. I'm only 2/3's through just the COUPE window stickers and I'm already at 1500! I still have to go through all of the CONVERTIBLE number variables as well.

I'm organizing them by state, color and build date. I'll post the complete breakdown when I'm done in a separate thread.

Just as an example...there were over 180 Coupes built in June alone. I'm also shocked to see how many cars went to Canada and Mexico.

So it looks like it will be over 2000. However that still seems like a small #. I guess my hope for a collectable is just a wish. I just want one time to be the guy who buys the 429 Boss Mustang in 1969 for $3200 and sell it at Barrette Jackson 40 years later for $132,000! I also remember when I was 7 years old looking at a 1970 Superbird in a Plymouth dealers showroom. Have no idea what engine or the cost but I just remember I loved that car and wanted my Dad to buy it. Instead he bought a Fury III. That will go down as the worst possible time to be practical! He also bought a new 1969 Mustang and opted for the regular coupe with the 302. He just didn't want to pay the premium for that Boss 429!

... my guess is that it will be less than the 2009 production numbers. think of it this way guys, the 2010 will most likely be a unique generation mustang. even if the numbers hit 6k (which i doubt), it's still relatively low numbers because of it's one year only production year vice the 2007-2009 models (i'm not hatin'). another thing, you'll have to wait 40 years anyway to see what will happen anyway.

another thing on production numbers... it is somewhat relative to the north american population. NA population was different in 1966, and what makes it more rare is because we have more population today. In 2050, who knows what the population will be, but it's rarity could very well be affected by it.

and on that note... it's time for a pint

... my guess is that it will be less than the 2009 production numbers. think of it this way guys, the 2010 will most likely be a unique generation mustang. even if the numbers hit 6k (which i doubt), it's still relatively low numbers because of it's one year only production year vice the 2007-2009 models (i'm not hatin'). another thing, you'll have to wait 40 years anyway to see what will happen anyway.

another thing on production numbers... it is somewhat relative to the north american population. NA population was different in 1966, and what makes it more rare is because we have more population today. In 2050, who knows what the population will be, but it's rarity could very well be affected by it.

and on that note... it's time for a pint

That's an interesting point of view. I've never thought about how population related to rarity of a vehicle. So, we just need to have more babies and maybe the rarity of my gt500 will increase? I like it, where's my beer.

If you're buying car to make money--forget it.Just buy some tax free bonds,and youll be way ahead of the game.Cars dont really become collectible until 20 years after they were made,at a minimum.Its those folks who were teenagers and wanted the car,and now have the money.So buy it to drive it.I just sold a very rare (30) Daytona vert pace car,signed by Labonte with 19000 miles on it,and sold it for 5k less than i paid for it.

So it looks like it will be over 2000. However that still seems like a small #. I guess my hope for a collectable is just a wish. I just want one time to be the guy who buys the 429 Boss Mustang in 1969 for $3200 and sell it at Barrette Jackson 40 years later for $132,000! I also remember when I was 7 years old looking at a 1970 Superbird in a Plymouth dealers showroom. Have no idea what engine or the cost but I just remember I loved that car and wanted my Dad to buy it. Instead he bought a Fury III. That will go down as the worst possible time to be practical! He also bought a new 1969 Mustang and opted for the regular coupe with the 302. He just didn't want to pay the premium for that Boss 429!

Dude, if you're buying a car as an investment, think again. Here's an investment comparable:

Since going public in 1965, McDonald's has paid twelve stock splits. In fact, an investment of $2,250 in 100 shares at that time, had grown to 74,360 shares worth approximately $4.6 million as of year-end market close on December 31, 2008.

The point is, your example is the exception, not the rule. There is a great deal of other investment options out there than a car. Buy it to enjoy it!

The current crop of Ford products that MIGHT be collectable 1. R mustangs 2. 09 cobra jet Mustang 3. Ford GT 4. Some Mustang race cars .

These are all L O N G shots . They may have made to many Ford GT's but they are being totaled @ a alarming rate.

I was just quoting what was told to me by Ford!

I talked to them again last week and was told that production was going to be LOWER than 07-08 years. They would NOT give me an exact number. He did tell me it was because demanad was down, but I told him that demand was still good here in the South.

MM

Although it would be nice to have a rarer than normal car, that is not why I bought it. I plan to never sell mine, whether they make 100 or 100,000.

I'm with you there, Baby Gorilla. To me it makes no difference how many there are out there...or how much I can "re-sell" if for. I'll keep mine until it doesn't run anymore.

I'm with you there, Baby Gorilla. To me it makes no difference how many there are out there...or how much I can "re-sell" if for. I'll keep mine until it doesn't run anymore.

And even the you would start restoring the car (my '88 Mustang GT Vert being restored now). I would doubt many of the owners on this site would let their cars get to that point, we all seem to be a bit compulsive about condition.

Regards,

Jim

And even then you would start restoring the car (my '88 Mustang GT Vert being restored now). I would doubt many of the owners on this site would let their cars get to that point, we all seem to be a bit compulsive about condition.

Regards,

Jim

Yeah, you're probably right Jim. But for sure...I plan on having the Shelby for 15 years or more if possible. I'll be too old after that to want a fast car anymore in all probability. hehe. You don't see many of the '87-'93 cars out on the road anymore. Good luck with your restoration. What color is it?

Yeah, you're probably right Jim. But for sure...I plan on having the Shelby for 15 years or more if possible. I'll be too old after that to want a fast car anymore in all probability. hehe. You don't see many of the '87-'93 cars out on the road anymore. Good luck with your restoration. What color is it?

Black w/Black top - Gray leather interior, The interior is in very good shape, top is old but have a new OEM top, paint is just too old. I had to replace the engine 3 years ago due to an unfortunate incident during the engine mount replacement (cracked block) but a new ford racing 5.0 liter is in there now, only 73,000 miles on the car and probably only 1,000 on the new motor. The spot in the garage is reserved for her return next to the new shelby. It is definitely not about a collector car as the car when it is done will probably be worth $4K-$5K but I don't think I could part with it. Lucky I married a girl who's brother owned a body shop. Pics attached.

th_imagejpeg_0.jpg

th_imagejpeg_2.jpg

th_ATT00036.jpg

th_ATT00052.jpg

Have a good weekend, weather here is going to suck so no shelby driving.

Regards,

Jim

Rock on Burning Blue! Only you could do this for us!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking that we hadn't seen one of your great spreadsheets in a while :)

Can't wait for the results.

Regards, Ian

Archived