TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So Who's Going to End Up With an 07' Shelby??

This is getting Ridiculous! Although I only found this Website back in January, I've had my name on The List at my Dealership since March 31st 05', I know that many of you have been patronizing this Site since the begining. We've all been waiting patiently and unpatiently, for this car to materialize. Now that our Shelby is so Close to becoming reality wouldn't it be Ironic that those of us, who've been so dedicated to this Site and the Car, end up being shut out from the Party? The closer we get the more it seems that Market Demand, Greed and Exclusivity will stop most of us from getting this Car anytime soon! :shrug:

Hate to say "I told you so..." :shrug:

I feel your pain. I can put up with dealers saying they don't know how their going to sell it, who they're going to sell to and at what price they're selling at. At least their honest. It's the ones who string you along, then try to stick it to us :poke: when the time get's closer that I can't stand.

Greed is ok in my book - I don't like it, but I understand it. It's the greedy liars that burn me up :angry2: No excuse for that in my book.

Why would it be any different that the real world were the Middle man has been

getting screwed by the Big Rich Man. Some day soon there will be a big change

when the Middle Man gets tired of getting screwed and does something about it

like vote for a new party. Not the same old Republican, Democrat shit we have

been fed for decades. Write FORD and tell them what you feel. Go to the Blue Oval

message Board.

We will all get the car eventually. It is just supply and demand and beleive me - supply will catch up with demand. Here are three reasons why I beleive this:

Loss of Market Share for US Automakers:

US Automakers are loosing market share in North America. Ford needs to produce as many GT500s as they can over the next two years and they want everyone that wants the car to get one. So the supply will not be that limitted for a 40K specialty automobile.

Competition:

This car is great, but so are the new Challenger and Camaro proto types. With US automakers loosing marketshare - these proto types will be built. Many people that would have bought a Shelby (and may be on the dealer lists to buy a Shelby) will buy one of these other new muscle cars (or some other new sports car).

Not everyone that wants one - can afford a 40K automobile:

Kids need braces or college. Wife wants a better home. People get laid off. Basically - priorities and circumstances change. So even though you are number 50 on a list that started last March - you may get one this model year and you surely will get a 2008 GT500 if you choose to wait that long.

And lastly, I would like to breifly defend the dealers (the ones that are straight with the customers like my dealer - Woodhouse Ford in Blair, NE). My dealer has said from day one that the vehicle would sell for market price. I don't fault my dealer for charging market price rather than MSRP. It works both ways. If I am buying an SUV with gas prices skyrocketing and winter almost over - I will pay much less than MSRP because that is what the market dictates. I will not feel bad about paying under MSRP and cutting into the dealership's profit or the salesman's commission when I buy the SUV. Likewise - when it comes to my spot on the list at Woodhouse Ford (#5) - if the dealership says 5K over MSRP I will not resent the dealer. I will say 'no thanks, but please call me when the price is down to MSRP.'. I may or may not have already bought something else in 9-12 months when the price on the GT500 is down to MSRP, but that is a known risk that the dealership takes.

Very long story short. Anyone that wants the car can get one at MSRP or below if you wait long enough. And you may even get a second year model that has the bugs worked out and has some better color options.

:shrug:

I've put in my head the atitude of ' if I get one great, if not, oh well.......I'll try for an 08' I am def'ly not paying ridiculous $$$$. I'm trying and want one........hence my deposit since May of '05 but will not cry over spilled milk if I don't get one.

I do think us Canadians have a big advantage with the non-markup scenario and that only SVT dealers are selling them. Even if SVT dies in April, I'm sure the banks will not open to all...........at least not for the 07 alotment. Ford still needs to remain fair to those dealers and give them their alotment that was allowed.

I've put in my head the atitude of ' if I get one great, if not, oh well.......I'll try for an 08' I am def'ly not paying ridiculous $$$$. I'm trying and want one........hence my deposit since May of '05 but will not cry over spilled milk if I don't get one.

Amen! Life won't stop if I don't get one. I have more time than need right now so I'll wait until I get the deal I want. I'm just tired of the games and disrespect I've received from a few dealers so far. Oh well, I won't let that spoil my attitude of all of them... you know the saying - the cream rises to the top!

My SVT guy called me today. He "says" this apperent ability to place an order with these codes is "bulls :censored: t". He has no firm date on the order books opening up, but says it's pretty close.

There are 30 people on the list behind me (I'm #2). He also told me that he has been told (verbally, not written) that Canadian MSRP will be $52k for the coupes, and $56k for the verts. I figure we're about 2-3 weeks away from placing orders!!!!!!!

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

KingCobra.

There are a lot of opinions expressed here but have you noticed that no one has answerd the question yet. It seens that 07 Shelby is correct in his observations,many of us who have been promised by our dealers that we will be sold this car at msrp are now being shafted by those same dealers who have changed their minds now that its time to order because of plain old greed..

Those dealers who were honest from the beginning about dealer mark-up at least were straight shooters in that reguard ..

But those who took deposits with the promise of msrp should be taken to task by Ford if not by the courts.

There is something very wrong when a business can make all kinds of promises with no intention of keeping them. At the very least there is a complete lack of ethics and lack of respect for their customers.

If this is how Ford allows their dealers to operate then I say shame on Ford. This is no way to gain the respect and loyality of the buying public

If Ford can't control their dealers then they need to rethink their "Way Forward Plan" because treatment of their customers should be an important part of it.

There,I feel better now!

I do think us Canadians have a big advantage with the non-markup scenario and that only SVT dealers are selling them. Even if SVT dies in April, I'm sure the banks will not open to all...........at least not for the 07 alotment. Ford still needs to remain fair to those dealers and give them their alotment that was allowed.

I agree, us Canadians will be spared the B.S. that a lot of Americans are and will face from their Ford Dealers. A Free Market System based on Supply and Demand is the Democratic American way and I wholeheartedly agree with that, however it does seem to favour the Rich rather than the Common Man.

A lot of Good Guys on this Site are going to get Hosed. :censored:

I'm glad You got the Point of this Thread svtbird91! Nice Reply!!

Great thread!

At the risk of really dating myself with any "older guys" on the site, the anticipation and worry about the GT500 reminds me of the legendary line from the old cartoon character, Pogo. He said, "we have met the enemy and he is us." The hype and hysteria about this car are largely the creation of "us."

Imagine if we had had the internet in the mid 1960s and someone found out that the legendary Carroll Shelby was buying Mustangs directly from Ford, was producing street and track versions, and would sell them through Ford dealerships. There would have been a rush on local Ford dealers, they would have been "educated," just as now, about a new product they knew very little, if anything about. Next step, the dealers figure, "if this thing is this hot, I'd better jack up the price."

I recall reading a paragraph in Road & Track or maybe Motor Trend that Shelby had produced the '65 GT350 and they available for about $3600 at selected Ford dealers. The only information source we had back then were the "buff books." I actually saw a 65 GT350 on a showroom floor in New York and the window sticker didn't have an AMD add on. (Guess that doesn't mean it wasn't added on later.)

Long way to get to the point that jpfreeman so well made: there will be enough cars for those that can come up with MSRP ($40 to $45K). I said on this on this board before: This will play out like the Thunderbird and the Ford GT. But, probably will play out more quickly than in the case of the GT.

There are a lot of opinions expressed here but have you noticed that no one has answerd the question yet....

I thought I had answered the question of 'Who is going to end up with an 07 Shelby?' In my opinion - anyone that wants the car can get one at MSRP or below if they wait long enough.

Also, I wholehartedly agree that if a dealer promised MSRP and they are backing away from that promise now - that is dishonest. And it is bad for Ford's business. And it is probably illegal if you have the MSRP promise in writing. I am just saying not all dealers are dishonest and that I don't view a dealership charging market price as opposed to MSRP negatively (if no MSRP promise was previously made).

Great points, guys. I think MSRP is just around the corner for the patient ones. Unfortunately for me, my wife said she'd cut off certain "recreational activities" and kick me out of the house if I didn't buy her one...NOW! So, what's a guy to do? :shrug:

I recommend a second job that requires lots of manual labor (like landscaping). The second income would allow you to better afford the price on the early GT500s and it would make sure you are in peak physical condition for the 'recreational activities'.

I sure hope for everyones sake you're all right that waiting will be the way to go. Having said that, the way things are going with SVT dealers out of the picture and all dealers getting an allotment of 2-4 cars I am wondering......

Do you think that by giving every dealer an allotment of 2-4 cars will satisfy the demand for this car? Or will it create a situation where it is now more accesible being at every dealer that the ADMU games will continue because of the smaller allotments everywhere?

I was also # 1 on a dealers list for this car and promised MSRP, then recently checked with them and was told that now they don't have a list and the first ones will be alittle over MSRP. I'm not sure what that means and will have to wait to see. In the mean time I have e-mailed several Chevy dealers about the Z06. Most have said they have sold their alottment, and some have said they can get me one for $15,000.00 over MSRP, but one guy has e-mailed me that he will sell at MSRP. If the Ford dealers jack me around any more, I will put my bike for sale and if it sells before I can order the GT 500 at MSRP, then I will buy the Z06. I will not reward Ford by getting a Mustang GT and modding it. The more I think about it, the better that Z06 looks. I would miss my bike, but a few 11 sec blast down the 1/4 mile should cure that problem.

I thought I had answered the question of 'Who is going to end up with an 07 Shelby?' In my opinion - anyone that wants the car can get one at MSRP or below if they wait long enough.

Also, I wholehartedly agree that if a dealer promised MSRP and they are backing away from that promise now - that is dishonest. And it is bad for Ford's business. And it is probably illegal if you have the MSRP promise in writing. I am just saying not all dealers are dishonest and that I don't view a dealership charging market price as opposed to MSRP negatively (if no MSRP promise was previously made).

Technically you're right Jpfreeman6272. My point, perhaps not well made, was that so many people on this Site and elsewhere, were told by their Dealers that they were:

1. On a List which States that they were either 1, 2 or 3 in line to purchase an 07' Shelby

and or,

2. They would be able to Buy the Shelby at MSRP.

As the Build/Release date nears, it appears that a Good Number of Dealers are fledging on their Lists and Promises of MSRP. Personaly that doesn't hold well with me. Witness Crispy and NVWSSV. Two totally devoted fans of the 07'Shelby, and on Lists since the begining, only to Now be jerked around by their respective dealers. It's fine to say go find another dealer who'll sell you MSRP, but why should they have to?

Does anyone really believe, that at this Late Date, there's even one to be found? They were, are, on a List and that List and Price should be Honoured by that Dealer. Integrity is seriously lacking here.

I don't think that waiting another year for the price to fall should be an option.

Yes, there are some dealers that will screw over their loyal customers, but there are plenty of very good dealers out there who are keeping their word about handling the GT500 sales. I believe the good dealers outnumber the bad dealers by a wide margin - you just don't hear stories about the nice dealers, just the bad ones.

Good point, Five Oh B. So, anybody got a good story?

Not really much of a story since I do not have the vehicle yet. But I like Woodhouse Ford in Blair, Nebraska. My family has bought vehicles from Woodhouse for years. They are a very large dealership (despite the fact that they are located in a town many folks haven't heard of) so they are always able to beat any other Ford dealership's prices. And they were 100% straight with me on the Shelby. The Internet Sales Manager there is named Gerald Eskilsen and last April I contacted him about getting on their Shelby list. From day one he said it would be market price. I was trying to get MSRP, but he would only commit to market price. While that was not necessarily the answer I was looking for - I feel much better about shelling out 40K (whenever the Shelby starts going for MSRP) for a vehicle knowing that the dealership and the saleman has always been honest with me.

Not really much of a story since I do not have the vehicle yet. But I like Woodhouse Ford in Blair, Nebraska. My family has bought vehicles from Woodhouse for years. They are a very large dealership (despite the fact that they are located in a town many folks haven't heard of) so they are always able to beat any other Ford dealership's prices. And they were 100% straight with me on the Shelby. The Internet Sales Manager there is named Gerald Eskilsen and last April I contacted him about getting on their Shelby list. From day one he said it would be market price. I was trying to get MSRP, but he would only commit to market price. While that was not necessarily the answer I was looking for - I feel much better about shelling out 40K (whenever the Shelby starts going for MSRP) for a vehicle knowing that the dealership and the saleman has always been honest with me.

Okay, your Dealer was being honest with you in that he couldn't comit to MSRP. That being said, Market Price is a pretty vauge answer in itself. If the MSRP is $40,000US and the Market Price is $55,000US will you still Buy?

This wasn't meant to be a Dealer Bashing Thread. However, Ford should reign in those that take advantage. They have the ability to do so.

Me, I love my Dealer. I highly recommend them to anyone. That is my 'good story'!

This wasn't meant to be a Dealer Bashing Thread. However, Ford should reign in those that take advantage. They have the ability to do so.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, so don't flame me...

Why would a Dealer sell a GT500 at MSRP, just to see the same VIN on EBay a week later selling for much more? Wouldn't they be kicking themselves?

*** Disclaimer *** I would never do that. I want one to own and drive, and I want to get it for the best price I can. But you know there are people who would do just that.

I hope my dealer weighs my loyalty (7 new vehicles bought since 2001 and an active service account) when it comes time to talk price. I'm second on their list, with order codes submitted, but I said I'll walk away if I don't like the price or delivery date. I've been seeing rumors of possible Oct/Nov deliveries. If that is the case, I'll wait until next year.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, so don't flame me...

Why would a Dealer sell a GT500 at MSRP, just to see the same VIN on EBay a week later selling for much more? Wouldn't they be kicking themselves?

*** Disclaimer *** I would never do that. I want one to own and drive, and I want to get it for the best price I can. But you know there are people who would do just that.

I hope my dealer weighs my loyalty (7 new vehicles bought since 2001 and an active service account) when it comes time to talk price. I'm second on their list, with order codes submitted, but I said I'll walk away if I don't like the price or delivery date. I've been seeing rumors of possible Oct/Nov deliveries. If that is the case, I'll wait until next year.

You answered your own question.

loyalty. They should sell at MSRP to local buyers who are going to come back for service, parts and future vehicles. The loss of $10k markup will be made up for with customer satisfaction, loyalty and referral to other customers.

My personal opinion is that you will not save much money waiting, but you may eventually be able to buy one at MSRP. I believe MSRP will rise as time goes on. When I sold cars at the local Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Lincoln - Mercury dealership it was not uncommon for their to be price increases during the model year. For me, I am going to have to wait to see what MSRP boils down to and what the Gas Guzzler tax will be if it applies. My dealer tells me they will charge $5000 over MSRP, I just have to decide if I can afford the total bill. I do not have a problem paying $5000 over if I can afford to, because I plan on keeping the car forever. If you divide $5000 over 40 years it's not that big of a deal to me - if I can afford the initial purchase. I don't believe I would save enogh money by waiting a year and hoping to buy one at MSRP, so I want mine now.

Technically you're right Jpfreeman6272. My point, perhaps not well made, was that so many people on this Site and elsewhere, were told by their Dealers that they were:

1. On a List which States that they were either 1, 2 or 3 in line to purchase an 07' Shelby

and or,

2. They would be able to Buy the Shelby at MSRP.

As the Build/Release date nears, it appears that a Good Number of Dealers are fledging on their Lists and Promises of MSRP. Personaly that doesn't hold well with me. Witness Crispy and NVWSSV. Two totally devoted fans of the 07'Shelby, and on Lists since the begining, only to Now be jerked around by their respective dealers. It's fine to say go find another dealer who'll sell you MSRP, but why should they have to?

Does anyone really believe, that at this Late Date, there's even one to be found? They were, are, on a List and that List and Price should be Honoured by that Dealer. Integrity is seriously lacking here.

I don't think that waiting another year for the price to fall should be an option.

That is what I thought you meant on your orginal post. So I will ask ,how many can say for sure that you are getting one ie: have one in the concep program or have one ordered .

I guess we will have to wait until the order banks open to know for sure. Anything else that might be said right now is only speculation and wishful thinking.

As we are drawing closer to that time the true colors of these "Ford Dealers " will be and in some cases already has been displayed.

07Shelby, it's a good thing you didn't ask who's not getting one?

You answered your own question.

loyalty. They should sell at MSRP to local buyers who are going to come back for service, parts and future vehicles. The loss of $10k markup will be made up for with customer satisfaction, loyalty and referral to other customers.

True. I did answer my own question.

But to follow up, how does the dealership owner know what type of buyer he has? I've never met the owner of the dealership I go to, even with all the business I've done there. I'd be a little surprised if he knew who I was.

Of course, that brings up another topic. I'd like to think if I was a dealership owner, I'd make a point to meet someone who has bought multiple vehicles in a relatively short time. But that isn't a discussion for this board.

My personal opinion is that you will not save much money waiting, but you may eventually be able to buy one at MSRP. I believe MSRP will rise as time goes on. When I sold cars at the local Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Lincoln - Mercury dealership it was not uncommon for their to be price increases during the model year. For me, I am going to have to wait to see what MSRP boils down to and what the Gas Guzzler tax will be if it applies. My dealer tells me they will charge $5000 over MSRP, I just have to decide if I can afford the total bill. I do not have a problem paying $5000 over if I can afford to, because I plan on keeping the car forever. If you divide $5000 over 40 years it's not that big of a deal to me - if I can afford the initial purchase. I don't believe I would save enogh money by waiting a year and hoping to buy one at MSRP, so I want mine now.

I'm not simply looking to save money. I'll take a chance that I can get one for less next year. For me, waiting is a way to keep from having to store it all winter (while drooling over it :wacko: ), if the delivery is in Oct or Nov. I plan to drive it, but not in the nasty western PA winters.

So I will ask ,how many can say for sure that you are getting one ie: have one in the concep program or have one ordered .

I will certainly have the opportunity to get one. I'm #2 on the list, and they will get at least 2. My order was put into the Conceps program, but not sent to ford. The salesman gave me a copy of the Conceps ordering page with my info, though. My order will not be placed until person #1 does so. That person is a Service Advisor at that dealership, and I'm getting the impression that he is waiting for the official ordering guide. Don't ask me why, you can change the order anytime until it gets pulled for production -- after June 5.

Now, whether I'll own one this year remains to be seen, but is pretty much up to me.

Archived