TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Custom Tunes

First - let me apologize for creating a new thread to discuss this if one already exists.

I recently obtained a 92/93 octane tune thru VMP Tuning and Justin Starkey (AWESOME experience dealing with him!)

The tunes were sent to me loaded onto a SCT X3 handheld unit.

My questions:

1) Aren't most custom tunes that are built through Leathal / Evolution / JLT / VMP 'basically' the same?

2) What is everyone's opinion of the results? Very noticable? Kinda noticable? No real noticable difference?

-...... I guess after putting $400 into the custom tunes I was hoping for a little more "smile/$ spent".

3) Are there any settings that I can change to get 'MORE' out of the tune? (I don't know much about the settings)

-...... Air/fuel? Global spark? Spark in each RPM range? etc. . .

4) Now that I've loaded the 92/93 Ocatne tune - should I run it on a dyno to see where I'm at?

-...... Send that dyno sheet back to Justin and see if there's any changes he might make?

5) Next steps to pull a little bit more out of the tune/motor - keeping to a relatively small budget?

-...... Different Intake Elbow? Headers? Hi-Flow Cats?

What are your thoughts??

Thank you!

Trevor

First - let me apologize for creating a new thread to discuss this if one already exists.

I recently obtained a 92/93 octane tune thru VMP Tuning and Justin Starkey (AWESOME experience dealing with him!)

The tunes were sent to me loaded onto a SCT X3 handheld unit.

My questions:

1) Aren't most custom tunes that are built through Leathal / Evolution / JLT / VMP 'basically' the same?

2) What is everyone's opinion of the results? Very noticable? Kinda noticable? No real noticable difference?

-...... I guess after putting $400 into the custom tunes I was hoping for a little more "smile/$ spent".

[ ... ]

What are your thoughts??

Thank you!

Trevor

A "tune" is not a supercharger. Best you can hope for is something like 20 rwHP increase with no other improvements. Figure the percentage of "oomph" increase 20/285 = 7%. Is your butt-dyno sensitive enough to gauge that?

My experience, GT/CS automatic convertible with "Bullitt" CAI and SGT mufflers: maybe I could tell the difference on the road, but the actual proof is in the objective measures. Overall, a tenth faster 60-ft, a mile-and-a-half-per-hour terminal speed, two tenths Elapsed Time improvements over the FRPP tune, from intalling BamaChips tunes. That's in an eighth-mile drag race, seventeen runs within two hours and three minutes (6:38 pm to 8:41 pm, 65 feet above sea level, warm nights both).

The tunes made a difference; is two tenths in an eighth mile worth $400? Probably not. The real difference is driveability and pleasure in moving around in the world. Quicker throttle response, sharper shifts, tougher exhaust note, all contribute to the feeling of competence and conciseness at hand.

If you can't tell the difference in acceleration, try concentrating on the other aspects. The performance is probably there; appreciation of the remainder is up to you.

I own a 2007 gth. While visiting my parents in NC, I had a custom tune and dyno run by pro-dyno in SC. The horsepower improvement

was/is awesome. The tune is really the only performance mod that I plan on doing to my car. Being that it is a Hertz car, it is an automatic.

When I get on it now it'll chirp the tires shifting into both second and third gears. In my opinion it was definitely worth it.

I have the BrenSpeed tune w/SCT tuner... And while the actual HP/TQ gains are relatively small, the driveability of the car has increased significantly... Especially at the Open Track events I have participated in... More responsive throttle, a smoother power band at the lower RPM's, and a little increase by being able to use the 93 Octane tune itself...

However, you also get the advantage of being able to select a different gear ratio, should you decide to change the gears int he rearend (without having to pay the Ford Dealer to calibrate your speedo)... And I have also increased my rev limiter by a nominal +250 RPM's... But that allows me to stay in gear until 6,000 RPM without bouncing off the limiter when I am at the track (Road Course & Drag Strip)... Much easier to see the "6" on the tach, then trying to shift earlier :shift:

Also gives you the option to have a "valet" tune installed that limits the RPM's down to say 5,000 and a top speed of 100 MPH max...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Ok - all fair points. I understand that a custom tune is not a supercharger. . . . With respect to the other points. . . driveability, response, smooth delivery of power, stouter exhaust note. . . . I have experienced all of those and am very happy with the outcome.

I will say - I've noticed the benefit of the tune more when I've found an open stretch of rural country road for some more "spirited driving". Overall - after I installed the VMP Tune - I've been very happy with the results!

I was only asking, for the sake of conversation, what everone else is seeing after they've installed their tunes. I was originally going to go with the GT/SC upgrade. . . . my life has had a significant change take place. . . . $$$$ is needed in other areas now and into the foreseeable future. This means that my SGT is likely going to remain N/A. The only other upgrades would be a different intake elbow to replace the silly looking factory one, and some other cosmetic changes like wheels/brakes/lower grill fog lamps/ducts...etc.

I guess I'll have to get my SGT up on the dyno for a couple pulls to see where I'm at RWHP wise, and to make sure my tune is performing as it was intended to.

Should I leave all the custom tune's settings at '0' or Should I advance/retard timing any? Should I make any changes to the air/fuel mixture? I guess the dyno results will tell me.

Ok - all fair points. I understand that a custom tune is not a supercharger. . . . With respect to the other points. . . driveability, response, smooth delivery of power, stouter exhaust note. . . . I have experienced all of those and am very happy with the outcome.

I will say - I've noticed the benefit of the tune more when I've found an open stretch of rural country road for some more "spirited driving". Overall - after I installed the VMP Tune - I've been very happy with the results!

I was only asking, for the sake of conversation, what everone else is seeing after they've installed their tunes. I was originally going to go with the GT/SC upgrade. . . . my life has had a significant change take place. . . . $$$$ is needed in other areas now and into the foreseeable future. This means that my SGT is likely going to remain N/A. The only other upgrades would be a different intake elbow to replace the silly looking factory one, and some other cosmetic changes like wheels/brakes/lower grill fog lamps/ducts...etc.

I guess I'll have to get my SGT up on the dyno for a couple pulls to see where I'm at RWHP wise, and to make sure my tune is performing as it was intended to.

Should I leave all the custom tune's settings at '0' or Should I advance/retard timing any? Should I make any changes to the air/fuel mixture? I guess the dyno results will tell me.

You need to know what the AFR is before adjusting it any. Get it on a dyno and get an air/fuel printout along with the dyno results.

Download the SCT 'Live Link' software and ask Justin which parameters he wants to trend and for how long. Then send him the data.

Once you have that info, you can begin adjusting your custom user settings. If the AFR is safe, add 1 or 2* to the 'global spark' parameter. If you hear any misfiring, save the extra timing for track days when you have access to race octane fuel. The rest is pretty simple really, but I don't mess with a tune until I know for sure that my air/fuel is good and safe. Good luck

Ken

Since you are leaving your car n/a may i suggest installing a 410 gear.You will be supprised by the response. It will feel like you gained 50 h.p.This is the gear that was made for these cars when n/a. For 700.00 to 800.00 you can have it installed. I had decided to leave my car n/a after 410 gears, shorty headers,4 in. aluminum d/s and brenspeed tune but now i'm thinking about installing the 550 h.p. whipple. If i do this then it will be in the spring. The 410's would probably be a little to much for the s/c so i would probably go down to the 373's. The 410's will give you more bang for the buck power than almost everything else combined.Good-Luck, hope your fortunes change for the better, Kenny

Since you are leaving your car n/a may i suggest installing a 410 gear.You will be supprised by the response. It will feel like you gained 50 h.p.This is the gear that was made for these cars when n/a. For 700.00 to 800.00 you can have it installed. I had decided to leave my car n/a after 410 gears, shorty headers,4 in. aluminum d/s and brenspeed tune but now i'm thinking about installing the 550 h.p. whipple. If i do this then it will be in the spring. The 410's would probably be a little to much for the s/c so i would probably go down to the 373's. The 410's will give you more bang for the buck power than almost everything else combined.Good-Luck, hope your fortunes change for the better, Kenny

I agree on the gears. 410's really wake the car up out of every gear beyond belief.

Ken

p.s. I'm still running 410's with my S/C'ed SGT and love the hell out of it. ;)

I decided to go wtih 3:73s, was part of my plan, I was then going to send my SGT in for the GT/SC upgrade. There was a notible difference with the 3:73s once they were installed. I do like how it drives now though - 1st pulls hard, 2nd pulls hard, but the transition from 2nd to 3rd is the sweet spot to me. For me - I felt like 3:73s and a supercharger would have been more than plenty for me.

When I added the custom 92/93 Octane tune - I noticed an overall improvement in power delivery and driveability. Where I noticed it most was the top end and the exhaust note!!! . . . . unfortunately, I don't get to enjoy it too often on public roads. 90 mph comes up pretty quick when I'm merging into traffic on the Interstate though. I feel like Justin @ VMP Tuning has my car dialed in pretty well!

My Fiance and I have a baby on the way, trying to buy a house, and need a bigger family vehicle. . . . . supercharger will have to wait - a while - if at all. Looking back, had I known this, I would have gone with 4:10s and the custom tune, and been good.

House / Fiance / Baby (and I get to keep my SGT) - Priceless!! I'd say that's a win/win/win/win in my book!

Trevor

I'll get my SGT on the dyno sometime the week of 10/18 when I get back to Minnesota from El Paso, TX.

Here’s my $.02….

I would call the tunes the vendors you listed as ‘canned tunes’ based on parameters that you provided (gears, CAI, headers, etc.). My definition of a ‘custom tune’ would consist of your car being tuned on a dyno with the tuner making adjustments on the fly while on the dyno, and then maybe during a road test and even at the track.

As an example last year we had a Shelby dyno-day at the speed shop my son works at, we had 5 stock SGT’s (07’s & 08’s) dyno’d, each ended up putting down different numbers. The only difference between the cars was the mileage. I guess what I’m saying is based on this experience and what my son has told me each motor is a little different and the only way to get the best performance out of your car is to get real custom tune.

Here’s my $.02….

I would call the tunes the vendors you listed as ‘canned tunes’ based on parameters that you provided (gears, CAI, headers, etc.). My definition of a ‘custom tune’ would consist of your car being tuned on a dyno with the tuner making adjustments on the fly while on the dyno, and then maybe during a road test and even at the track.

As an example last year we had a Shelby dyno-day at the speed shop my son works at, we had 5 stock SGT’s (07’s & 08’s) dyno’d, each ended up putting down different numbers. The only difference between the cars was the mileage. I guess what I’m saying is based on this experience and what my son has told me each motor is a little different and the only way to get the best performance out of your car is to get real custom tune.

you sir are correct. i had a vmp tune for the longest of times. then one of our club members got a dyno and he tuned my car. i picked up 6 hp and 7 ft. lbs of torque just from the retune he did. it has made a world of difference though. the throttle response is far faster and and im getting ridiculous gas mileage. im getting over 400 miles on a single tank of gas when im on the highway. :shift:

Archived