TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some brake advice...

Looking at a couple options for the wish list on my car to upgrade the brake system:

1. GT500 take off's

OR

2. Bear 14" rotor upgrades front and rear that use/relocate the factory gt calipers

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...2C%20front.aspx

OR

3. just replace rotors w/ factory size stoptech or baer drilled/slotted rotors

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013366

I'd consider going w/ the Hawk pads with any of these setups if there's a benefit to do so!

My biggest questions, are if any of the gains from the gt500 caliper would be very noticable for a car that prob won't get used on a track? and secondly, would the diff between #1 and #2 be noticeable at all?

I don't expect anything other than cosmetics from #3, but honestly, cosmetics is mostly what i'm looking for... i'm planniing a turbo kit upgrade, but i really think the factory brakes are sufficient as I'm not likely to go over 100mph, i really just like getting to 80ish really fast, and would like to safely slow/stop when needed....

any thoughts?

I would do the GT5 take-off's. They're cheap when you can find them and offer a substantial upgrade over stock, regardless of how the car is driven. If money isn't the object, then do them. If you're on a budget, new brake lines and upgraded rotors and Hawk pads are a great uplift to the brake system. Bigger rotors overall #2, doesn't really add any value in my opinion, just more rotor to grab by inefficient brake calipers...

I would agree with Cliff that the GT500 take offs, with SS lines are the way to go for the way you describe your present and future use. And, if I agree (Mr. Let's Overdo the Brake System), you have to believe it. :hysterical:

Jim

I'll know better after I install my Baer rotors, s/s lines and hawk pads the end of this month.

Another advantage, of course, w/ going with OEM sized rotors is that it is not necessary to change from the stock GT wheels.

Performance Pads + SS Brake Lines will work just fine with the STOCK Rotors and 18" Wheels...

Add the Baer Rotors and some Hi-Temp Brake Fliud, along with some type of COOLING Ducts, if you plan to take the car out on the track...

Otherwise, you just end up boiling the stock brake fluid after just a lap or two...

However, if you aren't that concerend with keeping the 18" OEM rims in place, then I would go with a complete set of take-off GT500 Brakes, Wheels & Tires...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

• 1 month later...

that looks sweet! no spacers or any crap needed to make it work? assuming i went that route, do i need anything other than the brembo calipers/pads to do the conversion? ie, will the backing plate work fine and stock lines be okay till i get some braided ones?

that looks sweet! no spacers or any crap needed to make it work? assuming i went that route, do i need anything other than the brembo calipers/pads to do the conversion? ie, will the backing plate work fine and stock lines be okay till i get some braided ones?

Everything is a direct replacement, line brackets are the same but I'm not sure about the smaller stock dust shields. I replaced mine with the 500 shields that came with the kit. No spacers or any crap is needed to make it work.

I bought this kit that also came with the SS lines, front and rear pads and stock 14"rotors which are still in the box. I also have the relocation brackets that came with the Baer rotors for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_...s_id=674cPath=6

OK, follow up question:

Will the 14" bear eradispeed rotors work with the gt500 brembo's?

The Eradispeed rotors are tough, we have a number of open track customers using them. From Fox body mustangs to Corvettes.

At this time Baer does not recommend the Eradispeed rotor for the Brembo Caliper both for the 13 inch (Cobra R) setup or the 14 inch GT500 setup. According to Baer the Pad will contact the Aluminum hat, either from day one or as the pad starts to wear....this is all depending on pad.

I just called to double check on this data with Baer.

The GT500 Brembo system is great and with a great set of pads, SS lines and and good fluid this would be a great solution for the money.

"Blueone" What pad are you running? Did you modify the hat in any way?

The Eradispeed rotors are tough, we have a number of open track customers using them. From Fox body mustangs to Corvettes.

At this time Baer does not recommend the Eradispeed rotor for the Brembo Caliper both for the 13 inch (Cobra R) setup or the 14 inch GT500 setup. According to Baer the Pad will contact the Aluminum hat, either from day one or as the pad starts to wear....this is all depending on pad.

I just called to double check on this data with Baer.

The GT500 Brembo system is great and with a great set of pads, SS lines and and good fluid this would be a great solution for the money.

"Blueone" What pad are you running? Did you modify the hat in any way?

I'm running the SVT pads that came with kit and I just went and checked and they are contacting the hat, just damn! I noticed that they were close when I installed them but they were defenitly not touching the hat but they are barely making contact now. Who sells 14" rotors that will work? Does Brembo sell just the rotors? I still have the rotors that came with the kit but I would like to find some that are drilled and slotted. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sorry 444 I was not aware of this when I posted.

Jeff

I'm running the SVT pads that came with kit and I just went and checked and they are contacting the hat, just damn! I noticed that they were close when I installed them but they were defenitly not touching the hat but they are barely making contact now. Who sells 14" rotors that will work? Does Brembo sell just the rotors? I still have the rotors that came with the kit but I would like to find some that are drilled and slotted. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sorry 444 I was not aware of this when I posted.

Jeff

Well, I'm glad you found out sooner than later!

I believe Brembo and Performance Friction have rotors, but I will double check with both tomorrow.

So that leads to another follow up question, is there a part number to order just the baer calipers at a later date if i go with the rotors for now? I think I'd be leaning towards the 6p calipers from the pro-plus kit if that's possible.

Brembos do NOT fit stock wheels (SGT)

brembos are 30 feet better here is the article

The stock brakes recorded an average of 142 feet to go from 60 mph to a dead stop. In the 100-mph test, we accomplished zero motion in an average of 380 feet. Brake fade was quite apparent after just two stops, and the brakes were literally smoking when we finished the barrage of tests. Our method to the madness was to make several runs from the 60-to-0 in a row, let the car cool off, and then repeat the process going from 100 to 0. Then we performed a trackside swap in order to do the same day testing.

We let the car cool off before Burcham and Danny Kester of JPC Racing took apart the front brakes to install the GT500 binders. The job isn't terribly difficult, but we realized at the track that the GT500 kit comes with rear brake pads, and someone "borrowed" the necessary tool from Burcham's trailer and never returned it. We settled for a Brembo front-brake conversion and figured we could just throw in the rear pads while the car is on the lift getting torn apart for another tech story.

It took only 47 minutes to remove the OEM brakes, install the GT500 setup, and bleed the system. Burcham drove laps around the Englishtown property with the '07 Stang, while I performed photo duties during the Shelby Shootout (see page 86). We felt comfortable that the pads had been properly cycled and broken in, and it was time to do the "after" test. Our testing technique remained identical: Run it up to the predetermined mph limit, nail the brakes, and let the ABS do its job. Our 60-to-0 average resulted in 129 feet, a vast 13-foot improvement over the stock binders. The 100-to-0 test is where the GT500 stuff really showed its prowess-349 feet average,

equaling a 31-foot improvement.

the full article

brakeshootout

Jeff

I believe Brembo has a two piece rotor, but I need a few measurements to make sure and I don't have one of those rotors laying around.

OA Diameter:

OA Thickness:

Annulus on the Rotor(Friction surface on Rotor):

Center Line: Take rotor lay flat on the table and measure from the Mounting surface to the hub to the back of rotor

Thanks,

Archived