TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007-2009 GT500 w/build Date prior to 09/01/2008

bonefish

I am looking at several GT500's new and used and worried about buying one built prior to 09/01/08 due to the TSB out on these cars. What do you guys think? It seems Ford is not real savy to fix these or at least some dealerships or acting that way from what I hear. I don't want a car that have to force someone to fix or has alot of issues.

Your thoughts??

I am looking at several GT500's new and used and worried about buying one built prior to 09/01/08 due to the TSB out on these cars. What do you guys think? It seems Ford is not real savy to fix these or at least some dealerships or acting that way from what I hear. I don't want a car that have to force someone to fix or has alot of issues.

Your thoughts??

I've had the TSB done 3x so far and going to get it done a 4th time now. Just have to get to know the service manager and all worries take care of themselves.

Well there are many of us that have not experienced any problems (knock on wood). The number of cars in production are in the thousands but the number of clutch issues on this site might be in the hundreds.

If the car is your sole transportation and a daily driver I would be more concerned because it does seem to take a week or more to get parts and fix.

Well there are many of us that have not experienced any problems (knock on wood). The number of cars in production are in the thousands but the number of clutch issues on this site might be in the hundreds.

If the car is your sole transportation and a daily driver I would be more concerned because it does seem to take a week or more to get parts and fix.

It won't be a DD for the most part...however due to weather and I do have another car...but, it may go extended time periods of a week at a time as my go to work car. Depends upon weather and how I feel. I know though that during the winter here it will probably go into hibernation!

Your thoughts??

Yes I would recommend any GT500 with a TSB. I have put on 6000 happy miles on my TSB. The car performs exactly has it did right after the TSB, which is outstanding. I am not aware of a survey being done sampling those who had a good TSB experience versus those that have not. Don't let your fear get the best of you regarding the TSB horrors. Be an informed buyer, review the TSB service work and take the car for a test drive. Good luck.

My 2008 is at 6700 miles and I was built in Nov 2007 (see sig below). I have no issues with tranny or clutch. (6200 miles as GT500 and 500 miles as 725 HP SS) I believe they realized the issues in Oct 2007 and made some changes. There are lots of old threads on this issue. There are some that have a ton of issues, but most likely a lot of us that have not...... YES knock on wood!! There are really good deals to be had out there if you want used. If not there are still 2009's at the dealers that are going for under MSRP. Good luck!

Cheers

Brett

There was a 2nd. gen. transmission that went into I think early 08 production as well. This was supposed to help the clutch problems but some still had it. My 08, built 5/08 is ok so far but only 1700 miles. I have some 1-2 shift issues but even the 10 models have that so???

If I were shopping, I'd be looking for a 09 or a good priced 08KR but that just me. Good luck

I'm probably the minority here but when I made the decision to buy a GT500 I would not consider any car that was built before the change over. I couldn't see taking a gamble with that kind of money. I didn't want a ticking time bomb, something I always had to worry about. I wanted no part of a major TSB on a near $50K car.

I understand most haven't had issues but knowing my luck, I'd would have!

The TSB issue affects a small percentage of cars, and I personally believe driving habits influence the outcome. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on an '07 or '08 that hadn't had it done, especially if it was a good deal.

Personal driving habits have nothing to do with it. You want to get it...go in stop and go traffic (traffic jam style stop and go) for 30 minutes. The flywheel will heat up and warp. I was told every vehicle made during that time will get it....could be @ 10 miles or 100,000 miles. Ford did not do a recall due to the cost and banking that most won't see it for some time and will be out of warranty etc.

Mine showed minor symptoms...if I didn't know there was a TSB for it I would have never thought twice about it. Like mentioned above...I was proactive about it and had it done not wanting a "what if" scenario down the road.

I'm probably the minority here but when I made the decision to buy a GT500 I would not consider any car that was built before the change over. I couldn't see taking a gamble with that kind of money. I didn't want a ticking time bomb, something I always had to worry about. I wanted no part of a major TSB on a near $50K car.

I understand most haven't had issues but knowing my luck, I'd would have!

Some say the 2010's have the tick....buying any vehicle is a crapshoot. If you follow the steps for an tsb and have the documentation you are safe. Some dealers originally tried to only do part of the TSB and that is why some keep having issues...you need to get the complete entire tsb done the first time.

Personal driving habits have nothing to do with it.

If driving habits have nothing to do with it, how do you explain the discrepancy? If they all have the same "bad" flywheel, then why do some warp at 5k miles and most don't at all? There are guys with 50k miles on their '07's with no problems. Just dumb luck doesn't explain it...

If driving habits have nothing to do with it, how do you explain the discrepancy? If they all have the same "bad" flywheel, then why do some warp at 5k miles and most don't at all? There are guys with 50k miles on their '07's with no problems. Just dumb luck doesn't explain it...

A large amount can attribute it back to a one time bout with stop n go driving like I mentioned. Grabber can tell you all you need to know about it lol....he is an authority on it.

Everything I've read up to this point tells me that it's all hit & miss. My 2008 GT500 has around 4,000 miles on it and it shifts and performs just fine (knock on wood). I just pray that if it does become an issue, I have good luck getting it repaired.

Mine had the TSB done at around 76K miles and now I have 84.5k miles on it without any problems! Warranty expires in 400 miles though! Probabaly fall apart just after that with my luck.

Mark / msbmustang54

I guess some of it is hit and miss. :huh:

1. The first 11 months of GT500 production cars did not get any Teflon lube on the input shaft and clutch hub.

2. Depending on your climate....the clutch hub and input shaft will have a bunch of surface rust and corrosion on them because the lube never was applied.

3. The rusty shaft and clutch hub cause the clutch to not release on time and drag.

4. The clutch drag causes your syncros to remain loaded with engine torque and that is why your gears grind inbetween shifts.

5. The 2008 2nd Gen. transmission input shaft splines were revised to be a little wider and broached smoother so it will release on time from the clutch hub.

6. In late 2008 the clutch hub was revised to be made out of nickle to prevent the clutch hub from rusting.

7. All the GT500 flywheels installed before the 9/1/2008 date are made out of nodular iron and it does not dissapate the heat very well so it warps the flywheel and is toasting the clutchs.

So my clutch fried out last week... while my wife was driving it! I drove it to the dealership and left it on Friday. I was concerned that since my car as 28,000 miles that they would hassle me about the TSB... I had complained back at 8,000 miles about my symptoms but was told by that dealership in Texas it was all normal.

Well, they called me yesterday and advised that it is being covered under the TSB!! At first I think YEAH!!! But now I am wondering if I should be concerned about it? How do I verify what all actually gets replaced??

Thank you in advance,

Lance

So my clutch fried out last week... while my wife was driving it! I drove it to the dealership and left it on Friday. I was concerned that since my car as 28,000 miles that they would hassle me about the TSB... I had complained back at 8,000 miles about my symptoms but was told by that dealership in Texas it was all normal.

Well, they called me yesterday and advised that it is being covered under the TSB!! At first I think YEAH!!! But now I am wondering if I should be concerned about it? How do I verify what all actually gets replaced??

Thank you in advance,

Lance

Your dealer sounds like a straight shooter. Ask him if he's doing the full TSB. If the syncros test OK he will do the partial and not touch the tranny.

So now you have me worrying about mine. It's an '07 with just over 3K miles and the only issue I've had has been some clutch chatter at takeoff, especially on an uphill grade. I thought that was just the nature of the beast but now I'm wondering if I should take it to the dealer and try to have the TSB done as a precaution?

I'd like to have my car keep the components it was born with but I don't want to have a major issue later on and be out of warranty. Opinions?

Here is my concern, taken from another thread on this forum. This guy has had fits with hid after the TSB was performed and now he wishes he hadn't had it done in the first place:

Quote: I have noises in my rear as well and my tranny is just one big mess, one second its quiet, the next its making odd new sounds, occasional grind, hesitation going into gear.

This has been my feeling all along, aint nothing like factory and once someone has to rip into your new car, your doomed for life

I bought my 2007 the third week of July this year with 4325 miles on it.

I had the TSB done, since the 3/36 was about to expire (although the issue should be covered under the 5/60).

No problems. Get it done if you can, since the repair comes with some heavier duty components and the teflon lube. The flywheels tend to be in short supply, so it takes a little while to get parts in.

All I can say is I have no regrets buying the car, and if the opportunity arises, would buy another lightly used '07-'09, even lower mileage, stock GT500 so we can have "his N hers" to do with as we please. :drool:

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask more questions.

Your dealer sounds like a straight shooter. Ask him if he's doing the full TSB. If the syncros test OK he will do the partial and not touch the tranny.

I did ask and he indicated it was the full TSB... It was supposed to be done tomorrow..but I got a call today that the parts are not in yet and it'll be next week. Thank you for the advice!

Lance

Archived