TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Shock Removal

justindewoody

OK, I have installed the Ford Racing Dampers and Springs in the front, and the springs in the rear. But I can't get the rear shocks off!!!!!!!!! When you try to unscrew the nut that holds it in place, the stem just turns with the nut!!!! :banghead::banghead: I have tried to use pliers, small 6mm and 7mm wrenches, and everything else I could think of to hold the stem in place while trying to unscrew the nut, and nothing F**KING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE F!?!?!?!?!??! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS PLEASE!!?!?!?!?!?!

The way you are doing it is the right way. You should try a cresent wrech to hold the small stem and a larger box wrech to turn the nut. Its probably on there pretty good, I know I had issues with the front shocks, they were torqued down pretty damn good.

I have tried that. Maybe I will spray some WD-40 on the stem's threads and let it soak for a while and try again. I'm getting extremely frustrated. I might end up having to take it to the dealer and let them install them for me. What's really pissing me off is the fact I know what I'm doing, I'm very mechanically inclined, I have done all the work on my car myself, etc. You know what I mean? It just pisses me off.

I got it done! I sprayed the threads with WD-40 and let it soak for a few minutes. Then I held the stem with a crescent wrench while turning the nut with a box end wrench. Done deal. Thanks for your help!

That's how I did it. We don't need no stinkin air tools. LOL

My rear springs are making some popping sounds when driving. They are the Ford Racing lowering springs. Anyone have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ah :censored: , you sure you got the shocks re-tightened back up? Did you replace them, or just disconnect them to get the springs out?

That's how I did it. We don't need no stinkin air tools. LOL

Ah :censored: , you sure you got the shocks re-tightened back up? Did you replace them, or just disconnect them to get the springs out?

Yes, they are tightened and installed properly, definitely. The popping is coming from the springs, I think up inside the body where they sit. I probably need to find some rubber bushings to go up in there.

Yes, they are tightened and installed properly, definitely. The popping is coming from the springs, I think up inside the body where they sit. I probably need to find some rubber bushings to go up in there.

That suck. Report back and let us know what you find. Don't you just love explaining to the Mrs. how the modifications you just added are now causing problems. LOL. I wonder sometimes why we put ourselves through so much.

:shift:

There already is a rubber isolator in the spring pocket, at least there was in the 07-09 models. Don't know why the 2010 model would be any different. If you replaced the rear shocks - perhaps the shocks themselves are the culprit.

upper_isolator.jpg

There already is a rubber isolator in the spring pocket, at least there was in the 07-09 models. Don't know why the 2010 model would be any different. If you replaced the rear shocks - perhaps the shocks themselves are the culprit.

upper_isolator.jpg

AHA!!!! I must not have lined the springs up to the notch inside there! I will have to check that out and re-align them. EXTREMELY HELPFUL POST!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Archived