TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cash For Clunkers Obituary List

shelbymotorsports

Not sure how accurate this list is but they claim they found these cars among the 700,000 C4C trade ins.

Two people traded in a 2008 Foose Edition Ford Pick Up. Huh??? Plus two more traded in Rousch Edition Ford Pick Ups.

A Buick GNX???

Shelby Cobra Kit Car.

And for a certain SoCal TS member, 39 Maserati TC's were crushed.

Some strange head scratching when you look at the complete list on the .gov website.

Steve

C4C Article

I for one ..... am glad the C4C is over. Dealing with the Govt anaylist .... who either rejected or approved the vouchers ( the money ) ..... was total incompetence.

You have no clue how bad it was getting legitimate deals bought. Luckily we got all of our C4C deals bought and we are done .... but the process to get there .... was difficult at the least .... and it shouldnt have been that hard ....

Not sure how accurate this list is but they claim they found these cars among the 700,000 C4C trade ins.

Two people traded in a 2008 Foose Edition Ford Pick Up. Huh??? Plus two more traded in Rousch Edition Ford Pick Ups.

A Buick GNX???

Shelby Cobra Kit Car.

Some strange head scratching when you look at the complete list on the .gov website.

Steve

C4C Article

What a shame and waste of taxpayer money...

A Buick GNX???

Shelby Cobra Kit Car.

Steve

C4C Article

"NOTE: We find it hard to believe that many vehicles in the list below were actually destroyed through the Cash for Clunkers program, and while they may be officially on the list, their inclusion is more likely explained by an error in the submission process, typos or dealerships that managed to game the system."

You have to ask, if these cars were what they say, not only why would a customer turn them over for $4500 but then why would a knowledgeable dealer take them in for $4500 and not just give the customer $4500, for example the 2008 Foose Edition Ford Pick Up, in cash rather than under the C4C program, and sell it for far more on the lot.

Of course these could be wrecked cars that just managed to get in under their own power too I guess!

I for one ..... am glad the C4C is over. Dealing with the Govt anaylist .... who either rejected or approved the vouchers ( the money ) ..... was total incompetence.

You have no clue how bad it was getting legitimate deals bought. Luckily we got all of our C4C deals bought and we are done .... but the process to get there .... was difficult at the least .... and it shouldnt have been that hard ....

Now...just imagine when the Gov't analysts are managing your healthcare....

"NOTE: We find it hard to believe that many vehicles in the list below were actually destroyed through the Cash for Clunkers program, and while they may be officially on the list, their inclusion is more likely explained by an error in the submission process, typos or dealerships that managed to game the system."

You have to ask, if these cars were what they say, not only why would a customer turn them over for $4500 but then why would a knowledgeable dealer take them in for $4500 and not just give the customer $4500, for example the 2008 Foose Edition Ford Pick Up, in cash rather than under the C4C program, and sell it for far more on the lot.

Of course these could be wrecked cars that just managed to get in under their own power too I guess!

Exactly what I was thinking. These were either wrecked vehicles or they were never traded. And I don't believe it would have been from any dealers submitting wrong information. Some dealers may submit inaccurate information or miss certain documents required, but I find it hard to believe they could possibly submit these certain vehicles by mistake somehow.

I'm also inclined to believe several of these cars were possibly wrecked.

And as the author wrote you know many dealers tried or did "game the system".

Also keep in mind that no matter how crazy the trade seemed it can happen. Those car donation charities hit gold every once and awhile when the widow just wants a car gone from the driveway.

Regarding those Foose trucks, I wonder if its possible that they were what the customer was buying and the dealer entered it as the trade?

Steve

I'm also inclined to believe several of these cars were possibly wrecked.

And as the author wrote you know many dealers tried or did "game the system".

Also keep in mind that no matter how crazy the trade seemed it can happen. Those car donation charities hit gold every once and awhile when the widow just wants a car gone from the driveway.

Regarding those Foose trucks, I wonder if its possible that they were what the customer was buying and the dealer entered it as the trade?

Steve

My recollection was that the car had to be driveable. That doesn't mean they had to be anything close to perfect. I suspect some of these exceptional ones were wrecked in such a way that they were worth less than in their current condition than the $4500 allowance. In the "push pull and drag" places they would have been scrapped too.

I agree Tony.

Of course there were some hidden jewels in there somewhere but most of them had to be worth less than $4,500

Car salespeople aren't dumb when it comes to a dollar. If someone was trying to trade in a $10k to $20k vehicle, trust me that salesperson would be writing the customer a personal check for $5k-$6k as a PP sale. If not the salesperson his brother in law, his cousin, his best bud, etc.

What we picture in our mind and what the car really looks like are for certain two different things.

Steve

Hopefully these were cars that were, as I like to put it "Launched". Meaning just piles of crap that were beaten to death. Still the parts would have been helpful.

:shift:

I agree Tony.

Of course there were some hidden jewels in there somewhere but most of them had to be worth less than $4,500

Car salespeople aren't dumb when it comes to a dollar. If someone was trying to trade in a $10k to $20k vehicle, trust me that salesperson would be writing the customer a personal check for $5k-$6k as a PP sale. If not the salesperson his brother in law, his cousin, his best bud, etc.

What we picture in our mind and what the car really looks like are for certain two different things.

Steve

I was involved in a few Hi-line C4C deals, when I went to move one of these hidden jewels the trany would not go in reverse. The Customers brought these vehicles to us we did not go looking for these Clunkers. there were some vehicles that did not need to be destroyed but most were truly at the end of their car life!

IMO

Tom

I was involved in a few Hi-line C4C deals, when I went to move one of these hidden jewels the trany would not go in reverse. The Customers brought these vehicles to us we did not go looking for these Clunkers. there were some vehicles that did not need to be destroyed but most were truly at the end of their car life!

IMO

Tom

Thanks Tom for giving us an inside look at what really happened.

Steve

Makes a lot of sense to give people $4500 for cars that are worth much more, and then crush the cars - doesn't it? That's a great example of how government-run systems work. Hey, but look how much greener the planet is as a result.

• 4 years later...

A couple of sad things is that it destroyed a lot of what would have been affordable used cars for young people, and also destroyed a good number of classic cars...but since the people who did this and i imagine the majority of those who supported this are essentially car haters or only love electric cars now, I guess they're happy at least.

Archived