TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Nitto 555

atacamadan

I've been going over older posts on tires, rims and options and it gets a little baffling trying to understand all options. I would like to hear from anyone that has an idea on the following;

1. What are the optimum tire sizes for Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Nitto 555 for stock rims?

2. How wide can I go with either of them on the back with a stock rim? I see on Nitto's website that they have 295/45ZR18 and Michelin have a 295/35ZR18. Will either of those fit the stock rims without any complications?

3. I see Tire Rack has the Michelin's but not the Nitto's. Any suggestions on where to buy the Nitto's?

My intention is a good performance tire for all round daily use, need to be good in the rain, and when I get lucky driving hard on the street. No track use here except some rare airstrip drag trials once in a blue moon. I don't believe drag radials are an option for me. I also drive on a lot of potholed and rough roads here.

Apologies for being redundant on this subject as I have seen a lot commentary in different threads but I still remain uncertain on the options available. I narrowed the choice down to these two based on comments in those threads. If someone has a suggestion for another brand and size I would appreciate hearing that too.

Thanks!

Dan

I have the Nittos 555 and I love them. My SGT has the whipple 550 on it so I really need the traction and the NIttos provide excellant traction. I have taken them to the road race course track for 4 full days of hard driving and they do not show any sign of wear.

I have the Nittos 555 and I love them. My SGT has the whipple 550 on it so I really need the traction and the NIttos provide excellant traction. I have taken them to the road race course track for 4 full days of hard driving and they do not show any sign of wear.

Thanks for the advice--I think these are two great options. Another question--what are the better outlets for buying tires? I have found Tirerack, Discountedwheelwarehouse, and Perforemanceplustire on the web. Anyone have opinions on these stores or any others I can check with?

Thanks,

If Nitto, go with Invo's or NT's. The 555 are very noisy. I have a pair on the front of my GT500.

I've run the NT-05s and prefer them to the Invo...just my opinion. They are a great tire with excellent all around performance. Never tried the PS2s, but here consistently good things. You can run up to a 295/305 in the rear on the stock rims. 295s don't bulge as much. Might consider going with a 285 or even 275 and putting the same size all around. Will allow for rotation and evening out the wear. So many owners keep having to replace the rears. This way you can swap when needed. If you are not putting the hammer down often, the minor difference in straight line traction will not really be noted much at all. Just some thoughts. And yes, the 285s will work on the fronts. Last track event i went to had several GT500s running them without problems or rubbing.

I've run the NT-05s and prefer them to the Invo...just my opinion. They are a great tire with excellent all around performance. Never tried the PS2s, but here consistently good things. You can run up to a 295/305 in the rear on the stock rims. 295s don't bulge as much. Might consider going with a 285 or even 275 and putting the same size all around. Will allow for rotation and evening out the wear. So many owners keep having to replace the rears. This way you can swap when needed. If you are not putting the hammer down often, the minor difference in straight line traction will not really be noted much at all. Just some thoughts. And yes, the 285s will work on the fronts. Last track event i went to had several GT500s running them without problems or rubbing.

That is great advice. I checked out the Nitto website and the NT-05's look very good. The new 555RII's also look like an improvement over the 555's. Anyone tried those too?

I like your suggestion about having the same size tires.

When we look at all the modifications we can do to this amazing car at the end of the day it still comes down to getting the contact rubber to the ground to make use of that extra power. I think this thread on different tires is very useful. Hopefully we get more opinions based on experience from other owners.

Regarding the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's--most people I talk to and most of what I read tends to put them up at No 1 on the overall tire chart for comparison. The Nitto's really look good for the price though!

Regards,

Archived