TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heres something for the 2011 Guys!!

Michael Morris

I'm glad the "plowing forward" has been addressed, but will stick by what I have been told about the 90-100 lbs. making a huge difference. Otherwise, why use it?

I suspect that gas mileage improvements are now more important to Ford than the performance gains from this change. But every little bit helps.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Define "huge"? .1 G on a skidpad? 5MPH in the slalom? 10 seconds faster lap times?

It will show up as a tenth of a second in the quarter, that's about it.

I guess time will tell....I'm only going off from what 3 prominent vendors/tuners have told me....so should I take your word, or their's??? :lurk:

My concerns regarding a consumer performance aluminum block engine have to do with the effects of frequent thermal cycling and previous history of these engines cracking. It's fine if you're a sponsored race team where rebuilds/replacements are routine, but quite another for a private owner after the warranty expires. Just saying.

Well, since we are all having fun speculating it is time to pile on:

I don't think the 2011 will be light enough to make any measureable difference. If the block is 90 lbs lighter bet part of that will be covered by increases in weight (safety stuff, etc). Even if not, the performance still will not be evident to 99% of the drivers assuming all else is equal.

Ford can only afford to add so many new features per year to attract buyers. That is only good business. I think they did pretty much all they can do (read investment) to the chassis, exterior, and interior on the 2010. The Al block will be the big draw for 2011.

If you want a big performance increases put BIGGER TIRES on the darn thing!! That is what I am looking for over the Al block. Heck, you can have all of the HP you want right now for not many $$s -- relatively.

I have a 2010 and am waiting to find out about the future tire situation before deciding to mod it or trade it for a 2012. There is no way I'm buying a first year engine change plus hope Ford will really hit the tire issue by then.

My concerns regarding a consumer performance aluminum block engine have to do with the effects of frequent thermal cycling and previous history of these engines cracking. It's fine if you're a sponsored race team where rebuilds/replacements are routine, but quite another for a private owner after the warranty expires. Just saying.

I don't remember hearing any engine problems on the Ford GT and this is the same block.

Do you mean post or thread?

If you mean post, which one? You didn't specify.

If you mean thread, read the first few posts of the thread and you'll see that MM was saying that occasionally the computer order banks will allow dealers to see future offerings before the order banks officially open. MM hasn't ever lead us astray and there really isn't anything to be gained by doing so.

Of course, if that's your point.

Damn, I knew I shouldnt have bought my 08 :hysterical: The aluminum block is a serious handling upgrade, Period! 90 lbs is a lot to pull off the front end. For a street car, its not a big deal. On track, every pound off the car counts.

Well, since we are all having fun speculating it is time to pile on:

I don't think the 2011 will be light enough to make any measureable difference. If the block is 90 lbs lighter bet part of that will be covered by increases in weight (safety stuff, etc). Even if not, the performance still will not be evident to 99% of the drivers assuming all else is equal.

Ford can only afford to add so many new features per year to attract buyers. That is only good business. I think they did pretty much all they can do (read investment) to the chassis, exterior, and interior on the 2010. The Al block will be the big draw for 2011.

If you want a big performance increases put BIGGER TIRES on the darn thing!! That is what I am looking for over the Al block. Heck, you can have all of the HP you want right now for not many $$s -- relatively.

I have a 2010 and am waiting to find out about the future tire situation before deciding to mod it or trade it for a 2012. There is no way I'm buying a first year engine change plus hope Ford will really hit the tire issue by then.

Its a done deal, 2011 will get Al block and 20" out back with a 305 tire

Evo knew this long ago like many others in the know who have stated

The tires though could be an option along with 373 gears and so on

I would not worry about buying first year for the Al block, this block has been around for a long long time.

I would not worry about buying first year for the Al block, this block has been around for a long long time.

Chuck, were did you hear about 305s for the rear? MM's 1st post says 285:

67F SVT Performance Package

P265/40 P285/40

RR Spoiler with GF (dont know what that means)

3.73 limited slip axle

19".95 Prem Painted Wheels

That would be cool if you're correct, but I'm curious about the info.

Chuck, were did you hear about 305s for the rear? MM's 1st post says 285:

67F SVT Performance Package

P265/40 P285/40

RR Spoiler with GF (dont know what that means)

3.73 limited slip axle

19".95 Prem Painted Wheels

That would be cool if you're correct, but I'm curious about the info.

That option package is for the vert (notice the 19" wheels). It is presumed that a similar package with 3.73's and better rubber will be available for the coupe.

Do you think the bigger 2011 wheels and tires will fit on the 2010s???

Bing-fugging-O!!!

Looks like another dealer playing with the computer:

XCR440SP from gminsidernews said:

"I was just looking throught the Fleet distribution news bulletin and it lists Mustangs as last day to order (for fleet) as 12/8/09. It lists order bank open on 2011's on 1/18/10 and job 1 for 2011 as 3/15/10. I didn't realize the 11's would be this early.

Still not much showing in the order computer. Only thing listed so far is Shelby Convertible. Still shows 5.4L SC 4V V8 so same engine (but could get the rumored alluminum block). They do show a SVT Performance package (option 67F). Inlcudes 19" wheels,RR Spoiler with GF (Gurney Flap I'm assuming), OTT Stripe delete and last but most importantly 3.73 Limited slip axle!

GT's aren't working, but I've been trying to trick it into giving me some info. Only things I've found were:

Option 55D Brembo Brake pkg

443 6 Speed auto trans

3 different 19" tires listed (1 245/45R19, 2 255/40R19, I assume one will be a summer only compound).

402A Package looks to be return of California Special

Thats about all I can find right now. Looks like we'll all get the info soon if order bank opens Jan 18th, order guides should be available then!"

Link

And another dealer with some 2011 info:

"Okay, I did some digging in the Mustang 2011 Order Banks today and found a few more goodies...

Package 402A is, indeed, the GT California Special...

- 245/45/19 tires.

- Carpeted floor mats (likely logo'd with GT/CS).

- Side Tape Stripe

- Side Scoops

- Pedastal Spoiler

- 54X California Special Package

Colors listed for this package are limited to:

- Grabber Blue

- Performance White

- Race Red

- Black

- Ingot Silver

- Red Candy

Carryover options include HID's, Comfort Pkg, Security Pkg, 3.55 Limited Slip, 3.73 Limited Slip, Electronics Pkg, Glass Roof, Rear Video Camera, Shaker 1000, etc.

New options showing are 6-speed Automatic, Brembo Brake Pkg, and 3.15 Limited Slip.

I checked into 2011 V6 options and found a listed for a 3.31 Limited Slip axle. About time! Also, GT500 appears to get the Glass Roof finally and an optional SVT Performance Pkg."

So the GT/CS is making a come back and the GT500 gets a glass roof. Hmm ...

And another dealer with some 2011 info:

"Okay, I did some digging in the Mustang 2011 Order Banks today and found a few more goodies...

Package 402A is, indeed, the GT California Special...

- 245/45/19 tires.

- Carpeted floor mats (likely logo'd with GT/CS).

- Side Tape Stripe

- Side Scoops

- Pedastal Spoiler

- 54X California Special Package

Colors listed for this package are limited to:

- Grabber Blue

- Performance White

- Race Red

- Black

- Ingot Silver

- Red Candy

Carryover options include HID's, Comfort Pkg, Security Pkg, 3.55 Limited Slip, 3.73 Limited Slip, Electronics Pkg, Glass Roof, Rear Video Camera, Shaker 1000, etc.

New options showing are 6-speed Automatic, Brembo Brake Pkg, and 3.15 Limited Slip.

I checked into 2011 V6 options and found a listed for a 3.31 Limited Slip axle. About time! Also, GT500 appears to get the Glass Roof finally and an optional SVT Performance Pkg."

So the GT/CS is making a come back and the GT500 gets a glass roof. Hmm ...

What is a V6?? :hysterical:

Regards,

Jim

Did some testing this weekend with my '07. Quarter mile times were the same with of without the wife in the car (and she weighs a bit more than 100 lbs). To be more accurate with the test the weight needs to be on the front but I am having a hard time keeping her strapped to the bumper... :hysterical:

............I hope she doesn't read this..

Did some testing this weekend with my '07. Quarter mile times were the same with of without the wife in the car (and she weighs a bit more than 100 lbs). To be more accurate with the test the weight needs to be on the front but I am having a hard time keeping her strapped to the bumper... :hysterical:

............I hope she doesn't read this..

Haha.

The aluminum block will be worth .1 in the quarter at most. Within margin of error on any run.

I'm sure Ford is more interested in getting 1 more mpg than .1 sec. in the quarter mile!

Rule of thumb in drag racing is 100 lbs. is worth .1 second. The real benefit of an aluminum block will be weight distribution. If they can get 100 lbs. off the nose, the car might hook better. From my limited experience driving my 2010 GT 500 the only problem is traction. If this car would hook better it would be almost one full second faster in the quarter. I don't expect the aluminum block to accomplish that by itself but it is a step in the right direction. If they would put a larger and stickier tire on the rear we would really have something.

Hec332, all the Mustang forums I surf are indicating the 2011 GT500 will be an all aluminum SC 5.4 with a small bump in HP 10-15. News stories indicate the Z28 will have the "LSA 6.2L V-8 SC with 556 HP. So a 15 hp bump would put the GT500 at an even match. I am also holding off on a 2010 because of the 2011 SC 5.4 all aluminum rumors. If the 2011 doesn't have the SC 5.4 all aluminum block, I don't consider the wait a waste of time because I will have saved up more money for mods and will take a left over 2010 if the deal is better.

The most significant changes in the GT500 were made from 2009-10. To me, an aluminum block is nice, but just a weight saving add on.

IMO it should not be a deal breaker a reason for waiting 6 months for a car. I like iron blocks with SC engines anyway.

Archived