TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My new "Berg" steering wheel emblem :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Greatly appreciate this thread because I just installed my new SGT Steering wheel emblem. It took me about an hour and it looks fantastic. I could not have wished for anything better, total OEM look and Shelby should have installed this piece in the first place.

This little $20 piece makes the interior "pop" and now it has that one-off look!! I followed the pictures posted by jmn444 and I want to THANK YOU for doing so because it took the "worry" out of prying off the original Mustang emblem. It provided great instruction and photos to finish the job with confidence. JMN444 if you are ever in NC stop by and I will buy you a few rounds of your favorite beverage. THANK YOU...

I attached some photos of the finished product for others to see how good it looks once it's complete. I did not attach photo's of the process because JMN444 already did that and he nailed the process.

If you own a SGT do not hesitate, I purchased my emblem on EBAY and it costs $19.99 well worth it!!

:clapping:

post-40486-0-72312600-1386546927_thumb.jpg

post-40486-0-42605700-1386546938_thumb.jpg

Someone had a set of 4 CS wheel center cap emblems ( for old Carroll Shelby wheels from the 80s/90s ) for sale on e-bay that would probably work in the same way as a steering wheel center but wanted $80 for the set - too rich for my pockets on taking a chance they would be the right diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

I could not have wished for anything better, total OEM look and Shelby should have installed this piece in the first place.

To be fair I can understand why SA did not do this. There are HUGE liability issues with this as you are essentially messing with the airbag cover. As has been discussed before while we may not see an issue here some lawyer looking for $$$ may.

In this case Ford mounted the center badge in such a way as to ensure it will not become a missile into your face when the air bag deploys. The emblem is designed not to separate from the cover. These 3rd party versions are not clipped instead they are stuck on with glue. Chances are, in the milliseconds with the force applied at impact and deployment of the air bags, these will separate quickly from the cover and meet your face.

We can debate the merits of the scenario and the chances overall of such an accident :shift: BUT if it were to happen a small company like SA could be devastated never mind their liability insurance rates even without such an accident.

Maybe we could keep the business side of the equation in mind as we think with our enthusiast mind. I was happy to make this change, though I did it differently, and I too wish it came that way from SA, but I do understand and at least in the end we can all mod our cars as we see fit and later sue ourselves if something happens.

:drool:

ok, thanks for the input and understand the fear of lawsuits. Though I must state, As a retired cop if your airbag deploys you have bigger things to fear than an emblem flying into your face!!

Fortunately the piece I got was a hard "rubberized" piece and it is no harder than the other flying objects that people have in their vehicles when they get into accidents. Cell phones cause more injuries than any other item inside your vehicle.

ok, thanks for the input and understand the fear of lawsuits. Though I must state, As a retired cop if your airbag deploys you have bigger things to fear than an emblem flying into your face!!

Fortunately the piece I got was a hard "rubberized" piece and it is no harder than the other flying objects that people have in their vehicles when they get into accidents. Cell phones cause more injuries than any other item inside your vehicle.

Like I said...TOTALLY agree on the practical side of this but as a retired cop when have you known lawyers to be practical? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nagging question, why is this topic referred to as the "berg" steering wheel emblem? I need some old Shelby buff to clear this up for me......

Philip 87 like the look of your steering wheel, where did you get the "wood" look?

Archived