TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Damaged KR Shifter Ball

kestrel

Greetings,

When I took delivery of the KR on 8/29, I noticed that the shifter ball was damaged (scratches in it). The next day, I notified the dealer, sent photos, and they said they would order a new one for me. The dealer is having extreme difficulty getting that knob. Shelby is wanting photos of the ball (no problem), description of why it should be ordered, and a letter of intent. The owners and directors of the dealership have even been involved. Another reason the dealer is having trouble is that they don't have the ball in their possession to ship back. I live 3.5 hours away from the selling dealership and really don't want to send the shifter ball up to the dealer, wait on them to send it to Shelby, wait on the new one to come back to the dealer, and then drive up there to have it installed. They probably won't just send it down to me. So, the dealer is still dealing with this and I'd just like to get it taken care of.

Because I'm new here and new to Shelbys in general (I've never even owned a Mustang before), is there someone in particular I can talk to at Shelby that might be able to help? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

7321_137663583875_521653875_2671397_2530629_n.jpg

Greetings,

When I took delivery of the KR on 8/29, I noticed that the shifter ball was damaged (scratches in it). The next day, I notified the dealer, sent photos, and they said they would order a new one for me. The dealer is having extreme difficulty getting that knob. Shelby is wanting photos of the ball (no problem), description of why it should be ordered, and a letter of intent. The owners and directors of the dealership have even been involved. Another reason the dealer is having trouble is that they don't have the ball in their possession to ship back. I live 3.5 hours away from the selling dealership and really don't want to send the shifter ball up to the dealer, wait on them to send it to Shelby, wait on the new one to come back to the dealer, and then drive up there to have it installed. They probably won't just send it down to me. So, the dealer is still dealing with this and I'd just like to get it taken care of.

Because I'm new here and new to Shelbys in general (I've never even owned a Mustang before), is there someone in particular I can talk to at Shelby that might be able to help? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

unfortunately this is why I decided not to get a KR, this warranty stuff is BS! they want to make sure the shifter ball!! doesnt end up in terrorist hands and become a weapon of mass destruction!

this practice does not bode well for Shelby automobiles in general, as people dont want to have to jump thru hoops to get service parts for the car they bought for a lot of $$$$$$$

Yeah, that's why I'm not even going to worry about the little imperfections in two of the wheels. They're barely noticeable (unless you are meticulously detailing the car) and the cure would probably be worse than the disease. I sure hope nothing ever happens to my hood, splitter, or mirror skull caps!

unfortunately this is why I decided not to get a KR, this warranty stuff is BS! they want to make sure the shifter ball!! doesnt end up in terrorist hands and become a weapon of mass destruction!

this practice does not bode well for Shelby automobiles in general, as people dont want to have to jump thru hoops to get service parts for the car they bought for a lot of $$$$$$$

Greetings,

Thanks for your help!

I have brought this to the attention of some of the admins here. I'm sure you will be helped soon.

I would first try contacting Bud Mahony at SAI in Las Vegas. If Bud can't help you, then I'm fairly confident that he will direct you to the person that can. Be sure to tell Bud that you have already made contact with with your selling dealer and that they claim to have made contact with SAI to no avail. Be sure to have your VIN ready as well as any evidence (pictures) they request from you to replace the ball.

Thank you very much for the tip. I hadn't really thought about that possibility for the shifter ball. Unfortunately though, my fingernail does get caught in the scratches. Some of them aren't that deep, but a couple of them are. Even my thicker thumbnail gets caught.

you could try and polish out the scratches if they are not deep (fingernail does not get caught in it ) use a polish wax like a rubbing compound go slow and the result is good or have the dealer try it maybe or just wait and go thru the warranty deal

Hi Joe,

Please, shoot me a private email and I'll see what I can do. I can't make promises, but I'll do my best :)

BudM@shelbyautos.com

Ona sort of same/different note. I do understand your frustrations with this as well as other KR owners on warranty items. Just think how upset down the road the KR owners would be if such items were not policed. Just look at the things we are hearing about now about how some parts are being handled. If they were not handled properly, then every car would look like a KR :( I know it looks like its too soon to tell, but we are just trying to save the history, collectibility of the vehicle--hope that made some sense--it's only 3:35am and I haven't had my coffee yet :)

Bud

Hi Joe,

Please, shoot me a private email and I'll see what I can do. I can't make promises, but I'll do my best :)

BudM@shelbyautos.com

Ona sort of same/different note. I do understand your frustrations with this as well as other KR owners on warranty items. Just think how upset down the road the KR owners would be if such items were not policed. Just look at the things we are hearing about now about how some parts are being handled. If they were not handled properly, then every car would look like a KR :( I know it looks like its too soon to tell, but we are just trying to save the history, collectibility of the vehicle--hope that made some sense--it's only 3:35am and I haven't had my coffee yet :)

Bud

Bud, that is great as far as collectibility goes BUT there has to be some leeway for owners to get what they need in a timely fashon without spending so much time trying to get things done. Ive talked to several dealers that have said the same thing, the warranty process is long and drawn out. Once Vin information is confirmed and the owner verified, it should be as simple as sending the new item to the dealer and then the dealer returns or shows proof of destruction of the affected part! just my .02

I stare at a beautiful 09 KR in Black at my local dealer, but when i look at it i see a nightmare waiting to happen because of issues that are present and keep moving along!

Bud, that is great as far as collectibility goes BUT there has to be some leeway for owners to get what they need in a timely fashon without spending so much time trying to get things done. Ive talked to several dealers that have said the same thing, the warranty process is long and drawn out. Once Vin information is confirmed and the owner verified, it should be as simple as sending the new item to the dealer and then the dealer returns or shows proof of destruction of the affected part! just my .02

I stare at a beautiful 09 KR in Black at my local dealer, but when i look at it i see a nightmare waiting to happen because of issues that are present and keep moving along!

In my honest opinion, I do not think the dealers know how to properly file a claim. We ran into the same issues with the SGT's (and still do). When the dealer tries to set up a claim, they go through the Ford system and in most cases, it does not recognize the SGT or the KR. All of the dealers were notified through their email system on how to file the claims. If they happen to skip over it or not even look at the info that was sent, then they would not know what to do. Then the calls start flowing in (trust me, I know LOL).

When the dealer has a claim, they still need to call 1-800-367-3788 to set up the claim on the KR's--same as the SGT's. When this is done, it is sent straight to our warranty person (sorry folks, not me any longer) and the parts are shipped out ASAP.

To this day, I still have dealers calling me about needing warranty parts for the SGT. I nicely explain to them what they need to do to set up the claim so they can get the parts needed AND get paid for the repair. Once they do this, I never hear back from them again---which is a good thing--meaning, they got the parts needed and got paid for the repairs.

I know its a long drawn out process, but when the proceedures are followed, it actually works quite well. We all here try to help out as much as possible and we also work VERY closely with the Shelby Customer Service Center (located in Mich, not here) to expidite part shipments.

Now, when we do get an order, a few of the parts we have here. Some are FRPP parts that are sent straight from Ford. The Center makes the decision on who sends what. And when we get an order to ship parts, they are either sent out over night or 3 day shipping. I am not personally involved with this process, but I have helped out on a few occasions.

Hopefully this helps clear up some confusions :)

Bud

ok, time for that coffee now :drool:

Hi Joe,

BudM@shelbyautos.com

Bud

Agree 100% on your note, but, for a registered owner, SAI should put something in place to handle these situations less painfully, even if it is not a warranty claim, even if it is just a simple repair.

In my honest opinion, I do not think the dealers know how to properly file a claim. We ran into the same issues with the SGT's (and still do). When the dealer tries to set up a claim, they go through the Ford system and in most cases, it does not recognize the SGT or the KR. All of the dealers were notified through their email system on how to file the claims. If they happen to skip over it or not even look at the info that was sent, then they would not know what to do. Then the calls start flowing in (trust me, I know LOL).

When the dealer has a claim, they still need to call 1-800-367-3788 to set up the claim on the KR's--same as the SGT's. When this is done, it is sent straight to our warranty person (sorry folks, not me any longer) and the parts are shipped out ASAP.

To this day, I still have dealers calling me about needing warranty parts for the SGT. I nicely explain to them what they need to do to set up the claim so they can get the parts needed AND get paid for the repair. Once they do this, I never hear back from them again---which is a good thing--meaning, they got the parts needed and got paid for the repairs.

I know its a long drawn out process, but when the proceedures are followed, it actually works quite well. We all here try to help out as much as possible and we also work VERY closely with the Shelby Customer Service Center (located in Mich, not here) to expidite part shipments.

Now, when we do get an order, a few of the parts we have here. Some are FRPP parts that are sent straight from Ford. The Center makes the decision on who sends what. And when we get an order to ship parts, they are either sent out over night or 3 day shipping. I am not personally involved with this process, but I have helped out on a few occasions.

Hopefully this helps clear up some confusions :)

Bud

ok, time for that coffee now :drool:

thanks Bud, that explains it much better! Hopefully the dealers will get it straight!

this one's for you!

coffee.gif

Hi Bud,

Thank you so much for responding to this topic and for all of the great info. I completely understand why SAI is taking care to make sure KR and SGT parts aren't shipped out to whoever wants them and I agree that it is probably the dealer who is not going through the proper channels to get this warranty item handled. If it's alright, I'll forward to them your reply with the warranty phone number and see if that helps. I'll also email you later today with more information. I have to run to work right now.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Joe

An update on the warranty situation...

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to Bud. He has been a great help getting the proper warranty information to the dealer. It was the dealer who was not going through the proper procedures to handle a Shelby part. It is, as Bud pointed out, imperative that the dealer call the previously posted phone number (1-800-367-3788) to start the claims process. Mine wasn't doing that. Things are now being handled properly and the dealer got a good education at the same time.

Thanks for all of your help on this!

Joe

Archived