TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Satellite Radio

hossdriver

Anybody out there done, or know somebody who has done a conversion on the satellite receiver in their GT500?

I'm a huge SAT Radio fan and am pretty loyal to the XM packages. My Shelby has a Sirius receiver in it. Rather than activate a Sirius account, is it possible to change out the receiver equipment to make it XM capable and just add another radio to my account for a fraction of the cost?

I would guess one would need to change out the receiver and possibly the antenna. Does this equipment even exist?

Anybody out there done, or know somebody who has done a conversion on the satellite receiver in their GT500?

I'm a huge SAT Radio fan and am pretty loyal to the XM packages. My Shelby has a Sirius receiver in it. Rather than activate a Sirius account, is it possible to change out the receiver equipment to make it XM capable and just add another radio to my account for a fraction of the cost?

I would guess one would need to change out the receiver and possibly the antenna. Does this equipment even exist?

I did not know that the Radios were Satellite Specific.........

I thought they merged and mixed the stations together... I have XM in my truck but canceled Sirius in my car because I dont drive her that much. But a friend of mine has Sirius and had the same stations I did on XM. At least some of them...

The satelite reciever is indeed built into the factory unit, so you would have to change out your radio. There are some great choices, though. Look in the mod sections and you will find em...you can look up the radio in my signature for a wonderful unit that I am more than happy with.

My Toyota has XM, and I like Sirius...now with that unit, they do offer a satelite reciever seperate from the head unit, but they want like 400.00 for it, and for that money, I would just change the whole unit out. So if Ford does offer something like that, the cost of staying factory is probably similar if it can even be done. My understanding is Ford has an exclusive with Sirius...but since there is a merger, who knows how that works now.

Have you pulled up the programming guide on their internet sites. Since the two companies merged they are sharing a lot of the programming just on different channels. It wouldn't surprise me that in a few more years if they will be playing identical programs.

As far as I know, they share about 98% of their programing content since the merger. They even changed their call sign to "Sirus XM" when they make the call sign announancement at the top of every hour.

The satelite reciever is indeed built into the factory unit, so you would have to change out your radio. There are some great choices, though. Look in the mod sections and you will find em...you can look up the radio in my signature for a wonderful unit that I am more than happy with.

Are you sure about this? My SGT has the Sirius receiver mounted in the trunk on the right hand side behind the covers...It is not built into the radio at all...

I have both an XM Account for my wife's Sonata and my motorcycle and a Sirius account for my SGT, and ever since their so called "MERGER" I've asked them about combining the two accounts into one and they keep telling me that they are unable to do that, so I wind up paying for a yearly subsctiption to XM and a Sirius separately...what a pain in the @ss...

I have an XM account with 2 recievers, and like Motorjock said, you have to have seperate accounts. I asked them in an e-mail how is it that they can combine the stations but are unable to combine the billing (should be simple). :headscratch: I received an incoherent reply rambling on about everything, but my question. :banghead:

So, for the time being, no Sirius in the Shelby. Hopefully they can get their :censored: together real soon, but I doubt it.

Dan

I have an XM account with 2 recievers, and like Motorjock said, you have to have seperate accounts. I asked them in an e-mail how is it that they can combine the stations but are unable to combine the billing (should be simple). :headscratch: I received an incoherent reply rambling on about everything, but my question. :banghead:

So, for the time being, no Sirius in the Shelby. Hopefully they can get their :censored: together real soon, but I doubt it.

Dan

I canceled my XM service and did not subscribe to Sirius in my GT500. When enough of us cancel our service, they will get the message and fix their accounting methods.

Are you sure about this? My SGT has the Sirius receiver mounted in the trunk on the right hand side behind the covers...It is not built into the radio at all...

I have both an XM Account for my wife's Sonata and my motorcycle and a Sirius account for my SGT, and ever since their so called "MERGER" I've asked them about combining the two accounts into one and they keep telling me that they are unable to do that, so I wind up paying for a yearly subsctiption to XM and a Sirius separately...what a pain in the @ss...

No, Im not sure, but Ill check again...I know I had to buy a different antenna line to run to the new radio.

Check if you can get Sirius + The Best of XM package without having to swap out radios. You can check out the lineup on the Sirius website. I have the full Sirius but there is nothing really on XM that I see paying extra for me and my tastes. I am a big music junkie so Sirius is great plus NFL, Howard, CNN. I don't care for Martha Stewart or Oprah. I heard Opey and Anthony (XM) was funny but there are lots of comedy channels on Sirius (RAW DAWG) but don't let the little one's hear it.

scam I have both...cannot tell the difference in my listening to both in different vehicles....I would not bother the difference is not that big if any at all...seriously.

edit: I forgot I got sirus for the rest of my life in the SGT for 499 bucks in 2007, so far so good. The Ford reciever actually works the best hands down compared to my others....

edit: I forgot I got sirus for the rest of my life in the SGT for 499 bucks in 2007, so far so good. The Ford reciever actually works the best hands down compared to my others....

Thanks for the replies guys. My dilemma is that I JUST re-upped my XM contract for two years. As far as I can tell, XM and Sirius are IDENTICAL in programming except for the Sports packages they offer. Sirius offers NFL among others and XM offers MLB and NHL etc.

To add an additional radio is a little more than half the cost of opening an entirely separate account. Now, can I justify scrapping the factory head unit for a new one, when I can pay $5 a month extra for a second account?

I doubt it when the factory stereo kicks ass compared to other factory systems I've had.

I've heard rumors that you can change out satellite receivers (usually second receivers hidden inside the dash or remotely) and antenna connections but those kind of conversions are rare and expensive. I had hoped someone here had heard something.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Archived