TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WHIPPLE SUPERCHARGE BELT AND PULLEY NOISE

SGT4431

I had a WHIPPLE Supercharger put in by Tasca Racing back in June. After about 700 miles I am hearing a chirping sound coming from the Idler pulleys. I would like to change out the pulleys for new better performance type. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

I believe I would first give Dennis a call and let him know what it's doing before I start changing stuff around. It may be the pulleys but I would at least get his opinion on what to do and what parts he would recommend if they are needed. JMO :shift:

I believe I would first give Dennis a call and let him know what it's doing before I start changing stuff around. It may be the pulleys but I would at least get his opinion on what to do and what parts he would recommend if they are needed. JMO :shift:

Dennis Is hard man to get a hold of . I will try emailing him tomorrow.

I had a WHIPPLE Supercharger put in by Tasca Racing back in June. After about 700 miles I am hearing a chirping sound coming from the Idler pulleys. I would like to change out the pulleys for new better performance type. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Mine chirp as well for about 5 minutes after I start it, then it goes away.

HI SGT4431,

SCOTTY HERE,

I DO NOT HAVE A FAVORITE PULLEY COMBO. HOWEVER, SOMETHING SIMILAR TO

THE COMBO USED WHEN UPGRADING THE 4.6 2003-2004 COBRA'S SHOULD

WORK. HOWEVER, I WOULD NOT MESS WITH THE SUPER CHARGER PULLEY UNLESS

YOUR MOTOR IS BUILT TO HANDLE THE EXTRA POWER. IMO

JUST AS A FOOT NOTE I HAD THE SAME CHIRPING NOISE FROM MY

GT/SC , BUT MINE WAS A BAD BELT. I WOULD CHECK ON REPLACING YOUR

BELT UNDER YOUR WARRANTY THRU YOUR FORD DEALER. I GOT MINE

COVERED BY MY DEALER. :happy feet:

THE PULLEY'S AND THE BELT ON THE GT/SC ARE TO NARROW , WEAK AND

SUBJECT TO MORE STRESS THAN THE THICKER , WIDER BELT AND PULLEY'S ON THE

GT500. HENCE THE GT/SC BELT IS BEAT-UP OR DAMAGED MORE QUICKLY. IMO

SCOTTY

its super easy to replace 1/2 drive breaker bar is all u need and a friend to finish pulling the belt over the last pulley.

and the reason we eat belts more so than the gt500 our belt drives everything...The gt500 has a separate belt 4 the blower(also more ribs) our belt is super long and the stock tensioner isnt up to hard driving, and has the tendency to bend, which causes misalignment and belt squeeeel...

take a look @ your belt alignment also...

Is there a good replacement for the stock tensioner? Does anyone know the part number for the Gates replacement belt for the Whipple 550 on the 4.6 motor? Thanks.

I just went through the process of getting a spare belt for mine. 550 whipple installed at Shelby. Long story short is you have to buy the belt from Whipple---part # is KO61247. At this point in time no one else has the belt. $105 shipped. Ouch!!!

I have the same issue with mine as well, the noise seems to go away after the engine is warmed up.

Also had the same problem with mine over a year ago, drove me crazy! You can actually check out a video I posted back then when trying to describe the issue to Roger and pinpoint if pulley or belt, just YouTube 'Shelby Pulley Squeak'.

Ended up changing out the pulleys and adding a tensioner bracket. Problem solved.......or so I thought.

Latest update is that yesterday, after having been away for many months, took the car out for a spin and the squeak was back! As Shelby NY mentioned, it does subside after the engine is warmed up, something which was not the case last year.

Seems like I may have to just change the belt too.

I just returned from the dealer. I had them look at the front end for the TSB issue, take pics and file a claim for a hood scoop replacement, check the valve stems, noisy pulley or belt, and a loud thump (right under the center console) after a hard launch in first and second gear.

They checked the alignment of the belts, checked the pullleys and belt and said all was ok. The tech did say he added a little dressing to the belt and the noise is gone. I ask him about the loud thump and he said he put the car on the lift and everything was tight, nothing was broken, and test drove the car and couldn't duplicate the issue. I asked him if he drove it hard or spun the rear tires...of course he said no. I said, do you have time for a test ride and he said sure. Well, my dumb butt forgot to turn off the traction control and felt like an idiot when the computer shut the engine down..cause the rear tires were spinning so much...LOL. Anywho, traction control off and a 3,000 rpm launch in first gear got the tires spinning...took it up to red line and grabbed 2nd...rear tires smoking and I needed to correct to the right, left, and a little right agian..uh oh, time to grab third and shut her down. Good news is that I didn't hear the sound agian but, I think I scared the hell out of the service tech because his hands were shaking and his face just wasn't the same color...LOL Oh yeah, he uttered the two words I hear most often when I take someone for a ride....Holy Sh#t!! :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
Check this new setup for the Whipple from Steeda:

http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_acc...lower_drive.php

The Steeda set up looks really nice and like it would do the trick...from what I can see, it runs a separate belt strictly for the S/C, but looks like it would be a real PITA if you had to change the regular serpentine belt at any time...It would be even nicer if it were a Whipple option or Whipple branded option instead of having Steeda all over it...just IMHO...

• 2 weeks later...
I just went through the process of getting a spare belt for mine. 550 whipple installed at Shelby. Long story short is you have to buy the belt from Whipple---part # is KO61247. At this point in time no one else has the belt. $105 shipped. Ouch!!!

FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS HAS THE BELT AND WILL REPLACE IT FOR FREE

IF YOU SEND THEM A COPY OF YOUR RECIEPT OF INSTALLATION FROM A SHELBY

AUTHORIZED MOD SHOP AND YOUR OLD BELT. :happy feet:

SCOTTY

FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS HAS THE BELT AND WILL REPLACE IT FOR FREE

IF YOU SEND THEM A COPY OF YOUR RECIEPT OF INSTALLATION FROM A SHELBY

AUTHORIZED MOD SHOP AND YOUR OLD BELT. :happy feet:

SCOTTY

Scotty

My problem was the lack of availability of a belt in a local parts store. If I was in the middle of nowhere I did not want to have a failure with no spare available. Paranoid I suppose but when the belt runs everyhthing I did not want to take the chance.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

While researching and still trying to figure out which s/c to purchase I ran across this and though this may interest you. I know from reading other articles that the factory tensior is crap and most likely what is causing you to loose those belts is the factory tensior flexing.

Whipple has a new and improved tensoir.

web-site: http://www.lightningforceperformance.com. Goto the mustang supercharger section on the website and u will find it. I tried to cut and paste it for you but could not make that work. One of you computer guys can most likley get this done for the other guys.

The cost is 449.00 on sale right now. I would be interested in seeing someone try this as the belt issues with the whipple is one of the things that keeps me on the fence about purchasing the whipple. Actually that is the only thing.

Thanks,

-Billy

Ive had that tensioner for over a year and I have only shredded 1 belt it is a very good tensioner made by thump rrrr racing it does solve alot of the slack slap problems

I called Whipple yesterday and they now offer the new belt tensioner. I talked to Dennis and he said they had just lowered the price to $359.00. I ordered a new belt and tensioner. Will give it a try.

I called Whipple yesterday and they now offer the new belt tensioner. I talked to Dennis and he said they had just lowered the price to $359.00. I ordered a new belt and tensioner. Will give it a try.

Thank for the input guys. Sounds like the white car has had good luck with his. I will be ordering my whipple tomorrow or saturday. (finally made the decision as to which s/c to buy)

I guess I should go ahead and order the tensioner at the same time and be done with it.

Let us know what you think of the whipple tensioner Dave. $359.00 is a lot chaper than the steeda $1200 unit and without adding all that weight of the steeda fix. However I do like steedas light weight radiator support.

Thanks,

-Billy

Have to admit. I like both or these options and the pricing is not bad at all compared to others I have seen. Looks like the lethel part is good quality.

I'll be making a move on one of these soon. If I can swing the money I would like to add this during the s/c install.

Thanks Ken.

-Billy

Have to admit. I like both or these options and the pricing is not bad at all compared to others I have seen. Looks like the lethel part is good quality.

I'll be making a move on one of these soon. If I can swing the money I would like to add this during the s/c install.

Thanks Ken.

-Billy

Received the Whipple tensioner Saturday. It appears to be the exact same tensioner as Thump RR. The tensioner came with a 76 MM pullley. The 550 whipple with the 3.250 pulley on Supercharger requires a 90MM tensioner pulley. Will have to send back beacuse Whipple only offers the 76MM pulley.

Is it possible to take the pully off and swap the pulley for a 90 mm.

You bring up a good point in pulley size as I have noticed that several of the whipple owners have different size pullies on their s/c and the associated delta of boost. Does whipple give you the option to choose the size of the pully when you order the s/c?. If not how do you know which one you get. Just wondering as we will order our whipple this friday.

-billy

Is it possible to take the pully off and swap the pulley for a 90 mm.

You bring up a good point in pulley size as I have noticed that several of the whipple owners have different size pullies on their s/c and the associated delta of boost. Does whipple give you the option to choose the size of the pully when you order the s/c?. If not how do you know which one you get. Just wondering as we will order our whipple this friday.

-billy

The pulley can be swapped. Thump RRR has the 90 MM pulley. Whipple only has the 76MM.

The Thump RRR Tensioner is the best route to take if you need a 90mm pulley.

Archived