TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interesting encounter

thewheelman

While I was at breakfast at a local fast food place this morning, I looked up and this old man was circling my GT 500. He looked in the windows, looked in the grill, looked at the back end, even squatted down by the back bumper and looked down the side. I finally finished up and came out. From what he said, I figured he was about 70, maybe a little more, but he looked like he was 105, bibs, straw hat, muddy boots, the whole 9 yards. He asked if it was mine and I said yeah. He grinned real big and said when he got home from Vietnam he bought the fastest convertible he could afford--a GT 500 and drove it home from CA to TN. Said his brother bought a Camaro SS but "didn't stand a f***ing chance against that Shelby". Said they both "tore them all to hell." But he never forgot the feel of that 428 shoving him back in the seat with the top down on a warm summer night. He almost waxed poetic there for a minute. Didn't know they still made these things, so I filled him in on Ford/Shelby activity, showed him under the hood and the dash plaque. Told him there were several for sale online and he laughed and said he was too old and had too much farm equipment to pay for to "go buying toys again". He said he had taken enough of my time and thanked me. I noticed he had parked his Lincoln Blackwood pickup, covered with mud, next to the Shelby. It had TN tags on it. We both left grinning.

While I was at breakfast at a local fast food place this morning, I looked up and this old man was circling my GT 500. He looked in the windows, looked in the grill, looked at the back end, even squatted down by the back bumper and looked down the side. I finally finished up and came out. From what he said, I figured he was about 70, maybe a little more, but he looked like he was 105, bibs, straw hat, muddy boots, the whole 9 yards. He asked if it was mine and I said yeah. He grinned real big and said when he got home from Vietnam he bought the fastest convertible he could afford--a GT 500 and drove it home from CA to TN. Said his brother bought a Camaro SS but "didn't stand a f***ing chance against that Shelby". Said they both "tore them all to hell." But he never forgot the feel of that 428 shoving him back in the seat with the top down on a warm summer night. He almost waxed poetic there for a minute. Didn't know they still made these things, so I filled him in on Ford/Shelby activity, showed him under the hood and the dash plaque. Told him there were several for sale online and he laughed and said he was too old and had too much farm equipment to pay for to "go buying toys again". He said he had taken enough of my time and thanked me. I noticed he had parked his Lincoln Blackwood pickup, covered with mud, next to the Shelby. It had TN tags on it. We both left grinning.

And 40 years later, the Camaro SS still doesn't stand a chance..........

Great story. :yup:

I've had 1 really cool interaction like that (don't want to steal your thunder so briefly, it was a guy who had a '67 GT500 when he was younger and he was out with his son), and a dozen or so that are nice, but don't stand up to really making a person's day like your story and the one I had.

Bottom line, I really appreciate it when people show an interest in my car. The ones that had a 60s GT500 are the best though.

Assuming I have the time, I try to always offer to pop the hood, answer any questions, let em sit in the passenger seat and offer to fire it up.

It's a real icebreaker with people I might have never talked to before, and the BEST when I can make someone's day better.

:happy feet: :happy feet:

Be careful what you say about senior citizens, some old guy could just sneak up behind you and blow your doors off. I'm going on 69 (been driving for 1/2 a century) and my '09 GT500 just pulled 633 HP at the dyno last week (TVS, Kooks, etc.). Waiting for a tune and better traction.

Archived