TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ok, I am Confused on the Tires

I need tires on my 2008 Shelby GT. Not wheels, just tires. I have been doing some research and going back to OEM is a reasonable price ordering off of the net. In looking at ratings, I see that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is rated the highest. Has anyone put these on, and if so, did you like them? If not, for the price, (it is a factor), which did you like.

Need to make a decison within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Folks!

:waiting:

I don't need tires yet, but I always try to keep an eye out for what I'm going to put on next. Right now, these are exactly what I planning on using, but I don't have any experience with them. So I'm interested in comments also.

:waiting:

I have about 40000 mi on a set on my ford and I think they are very good tires for the price. They are about half gone with alot of speed rans on them. I plan on buying some more. :shift:

I need tires on my 2008 Shelby GT. Not wheels, just tires. I have been doing some research and going back to OEM is a reasonable price ordering off of the net. In looking at ratings, I see that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is rated the highest. Has anyone put these on, and if so, did you like them? If not, for the price, (it is a factor), which did you like.

Need to make a decison within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Folks!

I always buy from tire rack.com and there reviews on the money. Why pay more money for a name brand tire look at kumho's and other off brand tires and read what the customers say about them. I have to say it again I LOVE MY KUMHO"S they grab hard and never a problem in the rain.

After about 40,000 miles it was finally time for me to change the tires. I got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and am WAY happier with these tires than the stock ones. I would always break loose on the road with the stock tires, especially in the rain, and my car is NA. With the Michelin's I feel a lot safer and haven't felt them sleep once. They look cool too :drool: .

03reptile (he is a GT500 owner) installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and is happy with them. He said they hook great in warm weather too.

I'll be switching over to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires as soon as I wear out the OEM's.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars - 255/45ZR18's from TireRack.com

They are the OEM tread on the GT500's and are night/day over our stock BFG's (and at the right price).

Ken

th

I just looked at these on TireRack.com and they have 2 that look the same but at very different prices

$126 each

$305 each

Anyone got an idea why ?

Andrew

th

I just looked at these on TireRack.com and they have 2 that look the same but at very different prices

$126 each

$305 each

Anyone got an idea why ?

Andrew

The more expensive tire is the new compound F1 that comes on the GT500KR's.

Apparently they are worth the extra coin, if you have it. However, the tires for $126 each are the best deal around on a tire of this quality.

Ken

th

$126 each

$305 each

Anyone got an idea why ?

Andrew

If you look at the specs, you'll see that the more expensive $305 tires have a lower treadwear rating; they are a different compound and a stickier tire. They also will wear more quickly as a result.

If you look at the specs, you'll see that the more expensive $305 tires have a lower treadwear rating; they are a different compound and a stickier tire. They also will wear more quickly as a result.

Thanks guys ! that makes sense it seemed that gettng $305 for $126 was too good to be true (as always is the case)

Andrew

Thanks guys ! that makes sense it seemed that gettng $305 for $126 was too good to be true (as always is the case)

Andrew

Just to clarify, the F1 for $305 is the 'KR' compound. It comes on the GT500KR.

The F1 for $126 is the 'original' compound. It comes standard on the GT500.

There have been several 'which tires should I buy?' threads in the past. The original compound F1's are almost always mentioned and highly recommended.

They are not a track only tire by any means. But the tread life far exceeds any track tire and the handling characteristic of this tread as opposed to our stock BFG's is beyond night/day. Good luck!

Ken

Just to clarify, the F1 for $305 is the 'KR' compound. It comes on the GT500KR.

The F1 for $126 is the 'original' compound. It comes standard on the GT500.

There have been several 'which tires should I buy?' threads in the past. The original compound F1's are almost always mentioned and highly recommended.

They are not a track only tire by any means. But the tread life far exceeds any track tire and the handling characteristic of this tread as opposed to our stock BFG's is beyond night/day. Good luck!

Ken

Thanks to everyone's help on Monday I order the $126 version in the 255/45ZR18's and they will be here tomorrow

Again thanks

Andrew

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars - 255/45ZR18's from TireRack.com

They are the OEM tread on the GT500's and are night/day over our stock BFG's (and at the right price).

Ken

The front tires are P255/45ZR18

The rear tires are P285/40ZR18

These tires are decent, but easily break loose in first and second under hard acceleration.

The front tires are P255/45ZR18

The rear tires are P285/40ZR18

These tires are decent, but easily break loose in first and second under hard acceleration.

On a GT500 yes.

For an SGT, you want the 255/45's on all 4 corners.

As for breaking loose easy, that may be so in a 500 HP Cobra. But compared to the stock BFG's on a Shelby GT, they are like Hoosier R1's.

Ken

Archived