TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Intake muffler removal

tdusseau

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ordered my res eliminator from Tousley Ford-$49.95+shipping. To me it's worth 50 bucks to have a FRRP part and not have to take out the hack saw.

Thanks for the info.

Wow. That's cheap. Do they have Internet sales or just direct?

Shoot, I guess I ought'a check with my local Dealer.

I just *hate* payin' MSRP but I guess until I ask (?SHRUG?)...I just assumed!

Thanks,

Phill

Wow. That's cheap. Do they have Internet sales or just direct?

Shoot, I guess I ought'a check with my local Dealer.

I just *hate* payin' MSRP but I guess until I ask (?SHRUG?)...I just assumed!

Thanks,

Phill

Just call and ask for Mike. Tousley sells FRRP for 10% over cost, so you will get a better deal from them. The only thing that you have to consider is the shipping, depending on where you live.

I agree with Phill about leaning the a/f out. The tube is after the MAF so, as long as the MAF housing remains the same it should be OK. Thoughts?

The only way it will cause a lean condition is if it's un-metered air (aka "False Air").

If it goes through the MAF Sensor, it is *metered* air and will not cause any driveability problems.

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

So if you put a cold air intake instead of the regular one on 07-09 and you do not calibrate the tune you do not risk it running lean...it still goes into the MAF Sensor though.

I will follow the SVT advice no doubt in my mind about it!

So tell me this. All you that are against this mod for what ever reason. But are willing to spend the cash for the Ford racing part, explain what is the difference between the two.

Besides the FRPP sticker.

The tune!

Am concerned if more air flows in even if it is metered through the sensor, it may need tweaks in the tune so you do not risk running the car lean, SVT from another post said the same, I am just pointing the obvious, if you want to risk running the car lean then be my guest, it is your car not mine!

Ah hahah. Interesting, Ford racing tube does not come with tune, nor do they advise that a tune is needed. Sorry bud, but SVT will always give you the same answer no matter what. They want you to buy there stuff. Call them and tell them you are wanting to switch tire brand and what do they think you should do. Then tell me what they say.!!!

So if you put a cold air intake instead of the regular one on 07-09 and you do not calibrate the tune you do not risk it running lean...it still goes into the MAF Sensor though.

I will follow the SVT advice no doubt in my mind about it!

You might want to check what a Cold Air Intake (CAI) kit includes....

You are not just sticking a free flowing air filter on the intake. You are also adding a 113mm MAF Sensor housing. That means, "same sensor-different (size) housing". You are allowing more air into the intake than the stock/OEM sensor was seeing. You *must* re-cal to compensate for MORE AIR (than the sensors Range Of Authority/ROA allows).

Friend, you can believe whoever you want to believe. If you want to believe "SVT" then by all means, do what THEY tell you to do. I don't know who they are or what they know so I'll defer judgement until I know different.

*I'm* telling you that the intake resonator is 1. *metered* air (i.e. AFTER the MAF), and 2. is NOT increasing air-flow into the intake and therefore does NOT need recalibration.

You see, *I* prefer to belive what *I* know from my decades of personal experience, training and teaching (Electronic Engine Control is my Forte).

Respectfully,

Phillip R. Pollard

AC Delco/GM Certified Master Tech

ASE Certified Master Tech

ASE Certified L-1 Advanced Level Tech

California BAR Certified Smog Mechanic

California BAR Certified CACC (Smog) Instructor-Emeritus

Engine Management Diagnosis (EMD) Instructor - Corinthian Colleges West Coast campus

You might want to check what a Cold Air Intake (CAI) kit includes....

You are not just sticking a free flowing air filter on the intake. You are also adding a 113mm MAF Sensor housing. That means, "same sensor-different (size) housing". You are allowing more air into the intake than the stock/OEM sensor was seeing. You *must* re-cal to compensate for MORE AIR (than the sensors Range Of Authority/ROA allows).

Friend, you can believe whoever you want to believe. If you want to believe "SVT" then by all means, do what THEY tell you to do. I don't know who they are or what they know so I'll defer judgement until I know different.

*I'm* telling you that the intake resonator is 1. *metered* air (i.e. AFTER the MAF), and 2. is NOT increasing air-flow into the intake and therefore does NOT need recalibration.

You see, *I* prefer to belive what *I* know from my decades of personal experience, training and teaching (Electronic Engine Control is my Forte).

Respectfully,

Phillip R. Pollard

AC Delco/GM Certified Master Tech

ASE Certified Master Tech

ASE Certified L-1 Advanced Level Tech

California BAR Certified Smog Mechanic

California BAR Certified CACC (Smog) Instructor-Emeritus

Engine Management Diagnosis (EMD) Instructor - Corinthian Colleges West Coast campus

with all due respect to your titles i will stick to what SVT tells me !

Nope, sorry, you're wrong.

There is NO TUNE with the resonator delete tube.

Phill Pollard

I did not say it comes with a tune....I said if more air goes in the tune may need modification to accommodate te extra influx.

And that is supported by what the other member said when SVT advised against removing it.

Look am not trying to argue here nor to be a pain...rather i thought of the possibility of running the car lean and SVT said the same ...that is all to it!

The tune!

Am concerned if more air flows in even if it is metered through the sensor, it may need tweaks in the tune so you do not risk running the car lean, SVT from another post said the same, I am just pointing the obvious, if you want to risk running the car lean then be my guest, it is your car not mine!

I see what you're saying, but I tend to agree Phill that as long as you keep the MAF the same size there is no additional volume of unmetered air. Look at the CAI kits that require a tune, they all increase MAF size (JLT 110mm, FRPP 113 mm etc.). SVT will give the canned answer to any such question, as they can't recommend mods of any type. They are of the opinion that they built the perfect engine and noone should try to change it. I went through the same thing when I had my SRT8. The SRT engineers would hold forum chat sessions and they would NEVER support or recommend any mods.

This discussion can be easily resolved when someone with the res delete puts their car on a dyno and checks the A/F.

I did not say it comes with a tune....

Well, yeah, actually, in a sense you did.

Let me refresh your memory:

"tdusseau" asked "So tell me this. All you that are against this mod for what ever reason. But are willing to spend the cash for the Ford racing part, explain what is the difference between the two. Besides the FRPP sticker."

And *you* said, "The tune!".

I replied, "Nope, sorry, you're wrong. There is NO TUNE with the resonator delete tube".

And now you're saying "I did not say it comes with a tune...."

You can't have it both ways. It is either "THE TUNE", or it is not.

I'm still puzzled regarding your opinion that removing the guts on a resonator somehow increases air going into the engine (i.e. making t lean).

Care to explain?

And a happy Thanksgiving to you too,

Phill Pollard

Well, yeah, actually, in a sense you did.

Let me refresh your memory:

"tdusseau" asked "So tell me this. All you that are against this mod for what ever reason. But are willing to spend the cash for the Ford racing part, explain what is the difference between the two. Besides the FRPP sticker."

And *you* said, "The tune!".

I replied, "Nope, sorry, you're wrong. There is NO TUNE with the resonator delete tube".

And now you're saying "I did not say it comes with a tune...."

You can't have it both ways. It is either "THE TUNE", or it is not.

I'm still puzzled regarding your opinion that removing the guts on a resonator somehow increases air going into the engine (i.e. making t lean).

Care to explain?

And a happy Thanksgiving to you too,

Phill Pollard

:drop:

Re: Tousley Ford;

Just call and ask for Mike. Tousley sells FRRP for 10% over cost, so you will get a better deal from them. The only thing that you have to consider is the shipping, depending on where you live.

Do you have a phone number handy?

I think your profile said you're in NV. Is that where Tousley is located?

Heck, if they sell FRPP's for 10% over COST, I'll order all of my FRPP stuff (2.9L SC, Handling Pack, etc) from them!

Thanks for the tip,

Phill

Heck, if they sell FRPP's for 10% over COST, I'll order all of my FRPP stuff (2.9L SC, Handling Pack, etc) from them!

Thanks for the tip,

Phill

they are a sponsor of svtperformance.com and if you mention you are a member they give you the discount. they have a post on there now about prices going up though.

Thanks for the tip,

Phill

1-888-884-7756. They're in Min.

Installed the FRPP reso eliminator today. There is definitely a difference in sound, but not as much as you would think. The best part is removing the restriction and now there's a straight shot from filter to TB. Install took 15 min.

001-2.jpg

What would you say the sound increase is from 1-10 (Stock = 1)?

I'd say 4. The most noticeable increase is part throttle acceleration. There was NO blower whine before, but now you can hear it. It's still not as loud as my 08 with the FRPP CAI. They definitely have done something else with noise suppression that has nothing to do with the intake.

• 6 years later...

Archived