TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking About Putting Stock Rims Back On

Imatk

Alcoas or Stock  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Alcoas

• Alcoas
    • Stock

I have something that has been rolling around in my head for a while and figured I'd post it here and see what opinions everyone has.

I have the 20" Alcoas on my car and while I like them, I've never had 20's on a car before, and I'm thinking they ALMOST look too big.

I really like how the stock rims look, I always have, so I'm seriously considering putting the stock rims back on.

I like the look of the 20s on the Super Snake as well, and I think they almost fit better with the SS hood and other stuff.

Not that they look bad on my car, but I'm not planning on doing anything else looks-wise to my car. So I won't be getting a SS hood or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm just looking for opinions to see if you think I should go back to the stock rims or leave the Alcoas on.

I have something that has been rolling around in my head for a while and figured I'd post it here and see what opinions everyone has.

I have the 20" Alcoas on my car and while I like them, I've never had 20's on a car before, and I'm thinking they ALMOST look too big.

I really like how the stock rims look, I always have, so I'm seriously considering putting the stock rims back on.

I like the look of the 20s on the Super Snake as well, and I think they almost fit better with the SS hood and other stuff.

Not that they look bad on my car, but I'm not planning on doing anything else looks-wise to my car. So I won't be getting a SS hood or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm just looking for opinions to see if you think I should go back to the stock rims or leave the Alcoas on.

I say stock and sell me the 20's for cheap just for my first response.

The stock SVT wheels were designed specifically for the GT500. They are the correct size and offset. I have read here many times of owners (and an SVT engineer) reporting of incorrect offset and rubbing with the 20" Alcoas. They put 18" Alcoas on the KR because it handled better than the 20's. Also, I know some GT500 owners that have changed the wheels on their GT500's and now regret it, complaining of vibration at speed. Some have put the stock wheels back on even after spending money on new wheels. Those 20" Alcoas do look so sweet though!!

18" for performance, 20" for appearance. Oh, I have the 20" on my SS, and have zero rubbing issues with them and other SS owners will tell you the same. Vibration issues are a result of bad spin balancing which can be resolved easely with a proper spin balance.

Is your suspension stock? I ask because the 20" will look better on the car if it's been lowered, and IMO the 18" look just a little odd on a lowered car.

It's funny how things evolve. About 10 years ago, every car came with 15" wheels and then the aftermarket came out with 18" wheels that everyone jumped on including the OEM's. Now that the 20" wheels are popular, the 18" wheels aren't good enough. The optimum wheel size would be 19", but there are only a handful of decent performance tires in that size on the market, and the ones that are out are quite expensive.

Other than the performance differences, wheel size and style is a subjective issue that really only you can decide on.

I don't have my car lowered, but I was planning on getting a set of coilovers.

If I were to go back to the stock wheels though I don't know that I'd get the coilovers.

For looks leave the 20's on and get FRPP lowering springs

I like the stock wheels, just need to have mine rears widened for the 305 nittos.

Nope. U can fit them on your stockers without modification ot htem. I have the 305/45/18 on mine and ill tell u what poeple are ALWAYS complimenting me on how they look on the car. I owuld go that way if i were u. Sorry for the hijack, just some spare change.

Here's my take.........

First of all as I posted many times........Alcoa's offset/backspacing is wrong.......not only the rear which need an extra 1/2" b.s. but even the front stick out too much and could use 1/4- 1/2 " more

2nd, because the outer edge (the lip) (closest to the rubber) tapers out.......it gives the impression of a bigger wheel like a 21 inch. Most aftermarket like Asaniti, TrueForged etc...... are flatter on the edge ( i.e. the lip ) and look like a 20 or some can even pass for a 19 at first glance.

No, I'm not an Alcoa fan..........nice wheel really but they screwed up.

I think the Alcoas look great and I agree only on a lowered vehicle. I learned that Shelby is no longer pursuing the 11" version. Is there a noticeable degradation in comfort and handling with the 20s?

They are louder... they transmit more road noise, but they aren't any less comfortable and I haven't noticed any difference in handling, but I don't track the car either.

Dude, PLEASE don't go back to your stock wheels! They are boring. The 20" Alcoas are friggin' sweet! not many people have them, so your car stands out. They are NOT too big, they are perfect! I have 20s and it seems like this car NEEDS to have 20s. There is no sacrifice in handling, in fact I think mine handles better. I am gonna do the FRPP suspension package which lowers the car about 1.25" and I think you should do the same. Anyway, keep the Alcoas!

Archived