TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowering springs

mad103

Hey everyone,

This is a question regarding an 06 GT. Wanted to know what would be a safe, no rub, lowering amount for an 06 GT that will be sitting on 20" wheels with 255/35/20 tires along with a CDC front chin spoiler. Going to buy springs but want to know what is a safe amount of lowering for this setup? Also does anyone know anything about Springtech lowering springs? Supposedly they have sold their springs to Belltech , Tokico , Koni , Neuspeed , Trailmaster , Eibach , Fabtech , Sprint , and Chassis Tech. Please help. Very interested in setting this car up. Thanks Guys

Thanks Ruf,

I have been doing some research and I am still not sure if a 1.7" drop would be too much. I have seen some pics that have a 1.6" drop and the body somewhat overlaps the front tire a bit. again, this would be for a 255/35/20 setup. Would their be any problem of rubbing? What do you think of eibach Pro kit that lowers 1.3" and 1.4"? Sorry for the repetitiveness but I am looking to buy soon so I want to do it right? Thanks

I can help here, tires are my specialty. :hyper:

The stock 235/50/18 measures 27.25 inchs and the 255/35/20 measures 27.02 inchs so you are fine with this combo. Personally I wouldn't go with a drop over 1 inch in the front and 1.5 inch in the rear. I know others have done it but that's too low for my taste.

You could also do what I'm doing which is to go with a set of Eibach coilovers which allow for adjustable ride height from a .8 inch drop to a max of a 3 inch drop. :drop:

My wheels will be 18x9 in the front with a 255/40/18 tire and 18x10 in the rear with a 295/35/18 tire. Drop will be 1 inch in the front and 1.25 in the rear. If I want to go lower then all I have to do is use the adjusters. :happy feet:

90GT

So you think that with that tire and wheel setup a 1.7 inch drop would be fine? No overlapping of the tire or rubbing? Also, have you ever heard of springtech? those are the ones that lower to 1.7 all around.

I can't tell you what to do as far as the lowering, that's really a personal preference. IMO 1.7 inch drop is too low, I wouldn't do it. If your questioning if the tires will rub then maybe you have already answered your own question.

Edit: Here's your lowering options according to Tire Rack. Keep in mind the lower you go may require you to do other mods to make the car align correctly (ie caster/camber plates, adj panhard bar, adj third link etc).

springsve1.jpg

ok...well im thinking of going with the Eibach pro kit? not too low but should be low enough

Eibach Pro Kit is a good choice. I have it on my 90 Gt vert and the car handles like it's on rails now. Get the Pro Kit Plus which gives you the springs, shocks, and sway bars in one kit. :shift:

Just one word of caution.

Don't expect the same ride quality!

If I lived "up north" with all the pot holes and bumps and frost heaves and had to commute any sort of distance, I'd think twice about the springs. (or I'd go with the adjustable setup like 90 has)

Cornering ability improves with the springs - as does body roll - but it does stiffen things up!

And remember to be careful on speed bumps, driveways, and parking lot curbs!

edit: 90 - how many hours until YOUR CAR GETS DELIVERED? :happy feet: :hyper: :happy feet:

where can you buy the pro kit plus? and how much? i have only seen the standard pro kit, which is springs only. also, i have heard that the drag launch kit shaves off almost a second on 1/4 mile. is it true? heard anything/ btw: what is 1/4 mile on bone stock gt? and/or with intake?

where can you buy the pro kit plus? and how much? i have only seen the standard pro kit, which is springs only. also, i have heard that the drag launch kit shaves off almost a second on 1/4 mile. is it true? heard anything/ btw: what is 1/4 mile on bone stock gt? and/or with intake?

You can get the Pro Kit Plus from Tire Rack. As for the drag launch kit goes, it's more for drag racing than all out handling. Really depends on what you want out of your car. Eibach does a good job of balancing performance and ride quality. The ride on my 90 GT while firm is still very livable.

Here's a link to the Pro Kit Plus on Tire Rack. Make sure your looking at the kit with the Pro Kit Springs.

Tire Rack Eibach Pro Kit Plus

Ruf: I'm counting the days now too. Supposed to be in by tues or wed and then the have to PDI it. I'm thinking Friday?? :shift:

Archived