TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GPS tracking system for my Shelby

1badsho

I posted about a month ago about wanting to get a tracking system that would allow me to shut the car down via my cell phone .. or to be notified if someone is screwing around with the car ... etc ...etc..etc

Our store has a company thats prettty big. They do alot of commercial stuff and our getting more and more into the consumer market.

A brief overview of what the system does:

Its very similair to on star but much better. If you have an accident and our knocked unconscious, the system has sensors that will detect the accident and call for assitance.

If you are having a medical emergency .. you can call like on star and they will dispatch help. If you find you locked yourself out they can remotely unlock the car. Neat part about this is ya .. we have cell phones .. but this is satellite so there are NO black out spots like cell phones.

BUT ... the features I wanted and why I bought the system ( being installed next week) is I wanted to be able to track my car incase it gets stolen. I can track the car from any PC and call to have the the car disabled where ever it is.

I think the retail price is around $1200 .... and to me its worth it. Gives you piece of mind.

Another great feature is that there is no geographical limitation like LoJack. Lokjack isnt available for my area but this is world wide.

Several forum members expressed interest in this system so I will update the list after I have it installed and have some expierence with it.

dond

I posted about a month ago about wanting to get a tracking system that would allow me to shut the car down via my cell phone .. or to be notified if someone is screwing around with the car ... etc ...etc..etc

Our store has a company thats prettty big. They do alot of commercial stuff and our getting more and more into the consumer market.

Its very similair to on star but much better. If you have an accident and our knocked unconscious, the system has sensors that will detect the accident and call for assitance.

If you are having a medical emergency .. you can call like on star and they will dispatch help. If you find you locked yourself out they can remotely unlock the car. Neat part about this is ya .. we have cell phones .. but this is satellite so there are NO black out spots like cell phones.

BUT ... the features I wanted and why I bought the system ( being installed next week) is I wanted to be able to track my car incase it gets stolen. I can track the car from any PC and call to have the the car disabled where ever it is.

I think the retail price is around $1200 .... and to me its worth it. Gives you piece of mind.

Another great feature is that there is no geographical limitation like LoJack. Lokjack isnt available for my area but this is world wide.

Several forum members expressed interest in this system so I will update the list after I have it installed and have some expierence with it.

dond

What is the name of the sytem? Definetly sounds better than lojack, which we were considering putting into our Shelby.......might wait now!!! :)

What is the name of the sytem? Definetly sounds better than lojack, which we were considering putting into our Shelby.......might wait now!!! :)

Company started in Europe and now has been in the states for about 5 years. Name is Altea USA

Web site is :

www.altea.net

The system has a ton of stuff to offer. For example ... you tell them where the car is garaged, and say u give it a two block area .. if the car goes outside this area it sets off a signal to you . So you can moniter the car 24/7.

From what I have read and what the sales rep told me ( get this hes actually from Europe and brought over to sell the system in Florida)

Cost is one time fee upfront ... no charge for emergencies if u have to use the onstar feature.. However if u get locked out ..or non emergencie situations .. they charge like $2 a call.

dond

dond

Remember you can only track it until it's put inside a chop shop garage, car trailer, semi trailer or shipping cargo box. once the antenna is blocked from the Satellite it's worthless isn't it? Just like gone in 60 seconds.

Remember you can only track it until it's put inside a chop shop garage, car trailer, semi trailer or shipping cargo box. once the antenna is blocked from the Satellite it's worthless isn't it? Just like gone in 60 seconds.

Thats a very good point ... so i need to look into that .. but one thing i do have the advantage of is the remote kill switch.

Assuming they get it started im notified and i can kill the car. I will find out if the car goes into a trailer or building .. whats the status of the signal

dond

Thats a very good point ... so i need to look into that .. but one thing i do have the advantage of is the remote kill switch.

Assuming they get it started im notified and i can kill the car. I will find out if the car goes into a trailer or building .. whats the status of the signal

dond

let us know, its still sounds interesting enough to purchase

Great info Don. I assume your insurance company would give some discount for this as well.

Dave

I think they already have been told since I knew i was getting it .. but i will double check.

I have been using state farm for 22 years .. over 50 ... married ... perfect driving record .. etc .. great credit score .. all the things u need for a competivtive rate.

They were going to charge me $750 every 6 mths. So i shopped and when the car came in went with GEICO ... this car .. excess limits .. lower deductibles ... and changed my old F 250 car hauler(1990 ) to GEICO too ... both vehicles ... $630

dond

I dug a moat, filled it with alligators, and filled the inside of the garage with killer bees. :idea:

Carnut ... that cracked me up ... very good sense of humor .... and appropriate nick name for ya !

dond

Just spoke to the sales rep of Altea, the company putting in the system for me.

One thing I should have thought of but didnt ..is remember I said the system will contact your cell phone if someone is messing with the car ... well that mean they use two signals, both satellite and cell phone.

And according to the rep u with there system u can track the car via the cell signal or satellite system. Will get more info on hows and whys ...etc once the system is installed

dond

Archived