TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil

SmellSoGood

Hi,

I've been a Mobile-1 0w-40 fan for the last 8 years on my twin-turbo. What say you on oil products and viscosity numbers for the 5.4l engine on the Shelby - recommendations?

At pickup today, I opted into the Ford ESP Warranty plan to give me 5/75,000 coverage. This includes 5k maintenance (rental, oil, checkup, etc.). What does Ford stick in the Shelby?

I bought an extended warranty 6/60--think the std is 3/36.On the oil, to be safe in case the engine does blow,id use the Motorcraft B spec,which is called for in the manual.I checked ,and the only other firm making the B is Rousch,so you wont save any money there.

I bought an extended warranty 6/60--think the std is 3/36.On the oil, to be safe in case the engine does blow,id use the Motorcraft B spec,which is called for in the manual.I checked ,and the only other firm making the B is Rousch,so you wont save any money there.

Castrol now claims Syntec 5W-50 is compliant with Ford WSS-M2C931-B. It should be available locally at Checkers and Autozone.

Here's their PDS:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter..._syntec_usa.pdf

Thanks for all the great info on the oil guys. While I won't be changing mine for several months yet - it's good to be prepared for it in advance for it. I would like to stick with the ford brand..however if the castrol becomes available and at an equal or lower price, I may just go with that.

Thanks for all the great info on the oil guys. While I won't be changing mine for several months yet - it's good to be prepared for it in advance for it. I would like to stick with the ford brand..however if the castrol becomes available and at an equal or lower price, I may just go with that.

If you want to be prepared, have a good oil filter wrench on hand - the OEM filter is cranked on pretty tight. I used a plier type filter wrench.

If you want to be prepared, have a good oil filter wrench on hand - the OEM filter is cranked on pretty tight. I used a plier type filter wrench.

Or for old-schools, you can hammer a screwdriver in and loosen it up that way. Of course, that's for those who don't have a properly fitting oil wrench and all stores closed on Sunday in your county.

I got the 7 year warranty. Yours is covering maintenance?

I got the Ford ESP warranty and not some aftermarket. Mine has the 5k maintenance with oil change and all the other checks, fluids, etc. It also gives me car rental. I think my wheel, tire, and roadside assist are covered on another plan. Great to have Ford ESP especially if you bought your car from a dealer out of town or are on vacation. We're covered anywhere!!

Or for old-schools, you can hammer a screwdriver in and loosen it up that way. Of course, that's for those who don't have a properly fitting oil wrench and all stores closed on Sunday in your county.

If you go to the K-Man web site they have Motorcraft oil in what you need for $7.19 a qt and the filters also. http://k-mansparts.com/items/motorcraft-fi...-qgt-detail.htm

If you dont want to do it yourself buy from KMan and bring it to the local oil change place and watch them do the work.I wouldnt trust Ford to use the correct oil

Thanks...I have a few of them laying around - I haven't even gotten around to looking where the oil filter is yet. LOL! Been too busy driving and keeping the car clean. Hopefully one of those wrenches will fit in there and work.

If you dont want to do it yourself buy from KMan and bring it to the local oil change place and watch them do the work.I wouldnt trust Ford to use the correct oil

I'm with you, Bob. I really don't trust anyone to do routine maintenance on my car that I could do myself. I'll only take it to Ford for any recalls or warranty work.

Because the car takes exactly 6.5 qts. ask them for the half quart back when they are done and you'll know what they used

I priced out the Castrol Syntec full synthetic 5w-50 today at Advance Auto Parts, $6.99 per quart. The Motorcraft 820S filter was $3.98. Does anyone know anything about the Ford Racing filter? What is the difference? Also, Advance Auto had K&N Lifetime reusable lifetime filter (#2010) for $13.00. It has the "wrench-off" nut on the bottom for easier removal. Are these things any good?

I priced out the Castrol Syntec full synthetic 5w-50 today at Advance Auto Parts, $6.99 per quart. The Motorcraft 820S filter was $3.98. Does anyone know anything about the Ford Racing filter? What is the difference? Also, Advance Auto had K&N Lifetime reusable lifetime filter (#2010) for $13.00. It has the "wrench-off" nut on the bottom for easier removal. Are these things any good?

Hmm...so the Castrol is about the same as the Ford oil in price. Guess I will just stick with the Ford then. Interesting about the "wrench off" filter from K&N. That seems like a darn good idea to make it easier to put on and take off in tight places. I never heard of that before. Maybe some other companies will follow suit and be a bit cheaper.

Hmm...so the Castrol is about the same as the Ford oil in price. Guess I will just stick with the Ford then. Interesting about the "wrench off" filter from K&N. That seems like a darn good idea to make it easier to put on and take off in tight places. I never heard of that before. Maybe some other companies will follow suit and be a bit cheaper.

The K&N is a "lifetime" filter, so $13.99 and you reuse it. Not sure how that all works out, but supposedly you can clean it with a degreaser like Dawn, rinse it out and let it air dry and back it goes. Thoughts???

THe Ford Racing filter replacement (CM-6731-FL820) is same price and its not reuseable, but from what I'm reading it has MUCH more surface area and filtering capability, and its the one used on the Ford GT.

The K&N is a "lifetime" filter, so $13.99 and you reuse it. Not sure how that all works out, but supposedly you can clean it with a degreaser like Dawn, rinse it out and let it air dry and back it goes. Thoughts???

The Ford Racing filter replacement (CM-6731-FL820) is same price and its not reuseable, but from what I'm reading it has MUCH more surface area and filtering capability, and its the one used on the Ford GT.

Hmm...about the K&N...I'm not too crazy about reusing it at first take. :headscratch:

Plus...if you indeed have to let it air dry after washing...that would be a bit of pain to wait. I guess you could buy two of the them and switch them out on each oil change.

I think I'll just stick to the regular filters...like the Ford Racing one.

The 820 filter is excellent and a good price. There is nothing wrong with the FRPP filter it is just overkill. A couple of years ago the 5-50 oil sold for $14.00 p/qt. at many dealers. My last oil change I paid $7 and change.

I don't care for the K&N filter. I'd prefer to use a paper filter than the K&N, but that is just me. Many of our members use them. I use a lifetime filter by AMSOIL.

Thank you very much. The wheels are Ruff Racing Model 943. 20x8.5 up front and 20x10 out back. The tires are Pirelli P-Zero with 255/35/ZR20 up front and 305/30/ZR20 in the back. I love em. Every time I look at them I like them more and more.

Would you mind posting or sending me a few more pictures from different angles?

Archived