TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Dust!

bigdrawz24

Is anyone seeing this, there seems to be tons of brake dust on the wheels after a ride in the car even after less than 1 hour. Does anyone have any ideas about how to decrease the amount of break dust that accumulates on the rims? The front rims/wheels are the worst. And does anyone have any ideas about cleaning the entire rim, without taking it off? Thanks for any advice.

Changing pads is the only way. However... a pad that gives off a lot of break dust is by no means bad.

For cleaning... you can get one of those pipe cleaner looking deals that you can get in between the rims with. If you really need them clean (for a show or something) just jack one side of the car up at a time and crawl under there (there's room to get your hand in there). Take a dry cotton t-shirt and wipe the insides of the rim first to collect all the loose stuff, then wash.

When I switched to GT500 wheels I was aware of the observations of owners that they seemed to be brake dust magnets. To me, it was pointless to try and solve the problem by changing pads because that would not, in fact, solve the problem. I tried the following after a track day that left my wheels looking way more gray than silver. I sprayed the wheels (when cool of course) with a diluted Simple Green solution and then used my pressure washer on them. A pressure washer, when you maintain a proper distance, will produce a very fine spray that proved effective in lifting the brake dust from the wheel. Worked like a charm. All I needed to do was dry the wheel afterwards. If you do not have a pressure washer, I suspect a regular garden hose with the proper spray attachment would work fine. Good luck.

Jim

I got Porterfield pads (RS4, I believe) from myroadster.net, spoke with the owner for sometime on the phone about it. He was very helpful.

He did include a rotor treatment to prevent that break squeal. And it works.

The pads work great, 80% less dust and no squeal if you do the treatment.

I'd get all four pads if I were you.

I got Porterfield pads (RS4, I believe) from myroadster.net, spoke with the owner for sometime on the phone about it. He was very helpful.

+1

+2 Porterfield RS-4's , Really cut down on the dust issue.

BTW Happy Birthday! :party2: :party2:

What color do you drive, I'll look for you on the streets.

+2 Porterfield RS-4's , Really cut down on the dust issue.

BTW Happy Birthday! :party2: :party2:

What color do you drive, I'll look for you on the streets.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!! I have an 08 black with the drk grey stripes hardtop and Kentucky lisence plates.

What about you? I have only sen 2 other gt500's on the street. A black vert, and a white with blue strips. One of those yours?

There are a couple of pad options that will reduce the brake dust, and retain or even improve the performance of the brake system. Depending on how you drive your car, I can recommend a pad for you.

Dan

Dan,

Is it true that Mintex is in bankruptcy? Thanks.

Jim

Thanks for the birthday wishes!! I have an 08 black with the drk grey stripes hardtop and Kentucky lisence plates.

What about you? I have only sen 2 other gt500's on the street. A black vert, and a white with blue strips. One of those yours?

I'm the white / blue stripe. I have not seen any others around town on a consistent basis.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The Ford Transmission Plant in Sharonville, OH is having a Car show this Saturday 11-4.

I'll be headed up there with about 20 others from our Mustang Club. Join us if you can.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Has anyone tried a brake cleaner or degreaser for the wheels, or a rim cleaner and if so any luck good or bad as a result? Thanks again everyone! :happy feet:

I use Eagle One (grey bottle) All Wheel Cleaner, and as directed it works great. And use Mr. Clean spray system with ICE car wash liquid.

Dan,

Is it true that Mintex is in bankruptcy? Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

As far as I know, TMD Friction (Mintex's parent company) was bought in April by a private investment group. I'm not familiar with any of the details of the transaction, but nothing major has changed on our side.

Dan

Archived