TEAM SHELBY FORUM

sound system noise

Torched10

I have the standard radio and noticed today that when i trun on the sound system, im hearing a background hissing sound.It seems to modulate,like when i clap my hands.Doesnt matter if its on radio or CD.Sounds like an open mike--is there something with the phone system where the mike stays on--any help would be apprciated.I know when i turn up the volume,i wont hear it,but would like to get rid of it

yes completely--im thinking somehow the telephone speaker system is staying on

There is a Sync update.

Register yourself at www.syncmyride.com

You can downloaded an update to a USB stick, plug it into the USB port in the console and update Sync without the dealer doing doughnuts in your car.

I still don't even know what "sync" does... :rolleyes: I'll get around to it eventually. hehe.

Not to steer the thread off subject...did anyone swap their door and rear deck speakers in a shaker500 system? Just the 6x8's...not the woofers in the door. I was hoping that doing so might improve the clarity. I'm not however going to replace the head unit.

I can certainly relate to that sentiment, Tdusseau...I've mentioned me doing that exact same thing quite often...However, I do love my tunes just as much as I love my Shelby. So having them both is desirable to me! hehe. But honestly it's probably 50/50 with having the radio off and having it on in my time in the drivers seat.

I still don't even know what "sync" does... :rolleyes: I'll get around to it eventually. hehe.

Not to steer the thread off subject...did anyone swap their door and rear deck speakers in a shaker500 system? Just the 6x8's...not the woofers in the door. I was hoping that doing so might improve the clarity. I'm not however going to replace the head unit.

Blue -- synch is the hookup with your cell phone.I quickly found out you cant drive a 6spd and talk/dial.Ive ordered the USB stick and will get the update.The hiss is only there before i start the system.I only heard it because i was loading a CD and didnt want to start the car in my garage,and wake up the cat.Before the system found a CD to play.i could hear the hiss.Of course once the engine cranks,i cant hear it--just annoyng.Do your cars do the same thing??

Blue -- synch is the hookup with your cell phone.I quickly found out you cant drive a 6spd and talk/dial.Ive ordered the USB stick and will get the update.The hiss is only there before i start the system.I only heard it because i was loading a CD and didnt want to start the car in my garage,and wake up the cat.Before the system found a CD to play.i could hear the hiss.Of course once the engine cranks,i cant hear it--just annoyng. Do your cars do the same thing??

oh...that's all sync is for is the cell phone? I don't "call and drive" so...I guess that I won't be using that much. I can't speak to the hiss that you mention.

oh...that's all sync is for is the cell phone? I don't "call and drive" so...I guess that I won't be using that much. I can't speak to the hiss that you mention.

Sync is really a pretty cool product. In addition to operating your phone via bluetooth (it can even read off text messages on certain phones that are compatible) it can play mp3 files off of a flash drive or mp3 player without the sound quality loss of a typical audio jack or FM transmitter. It indexes your files so all you do is hit the voice button and say "USB....Play Song/artist/etc. bla-bla-bla" and it will jump to that song/artist/genre/etc. The capabilities get much bigger if you have a NAV system too where you can ask it to find the nearest Chinese restaurant or park.

It's worth checking out... Sync My Ride

Sync is really a pretty cool product. In addition to operating your phone via bluetooth (it can even read off text messages on certain phones that are compatible) it can play mp3 files off of a flash drive or mp3 player without the sound quality loss of a typical audio jack or FM transmitter. It indexes your files so all you do is hit the voice button and say "USB....Play Song/artist/etc. bla-bla-bla" and it will jump to that song/artist/genre/etc. The capabilities get much bigger if you have a NAV system too where you can ask it to find the nearest Chinese restaurant or park.

It's worth checking out... Sync My Ride

Ahh...cool. I had been making MP3 CD's lately. While I don't like the sound quality loss of MP3's, I was willing to overlook that to save me from carrying around 100 regular CD's in the car. The USB option will be even better with the additional storage and voice commands. I'll have to check that out.

Ahh...cool. I had been making MP3 CD's lately. While I don't like the sound quality loss of MP3's, I was willing to overlook that to save me from carrying around 100 regular CD's in the car. The USB option will be even better with the additional storage and voice commands. I'll have to check that out.

I don't know if you have the NAV. If you do you can rip your CDs to the internal hard drive. I'm not sure what format they are using for the files but the quality is top notch. I'm guessing since it's a Microsoft product it's probably WMA.

[Man i didnt know that---does it play mp3 or just wma files

Well...I think that the WMA files are near lossless so that would be the same as making a regular Audio CD.

For the Mp3 CD's...I'm able to fit on approx 60-80 songs depending on the length. I always rip my cds at 320kbps which offers the best quality for MP3's. You of course can rip at lower rate to fit more songs..but for me, anything lower than that it sounds like bad AM radio.

I don't know if you have the NAV. If you do you can rip your CDs to the internal hard drive. I'm not sure what format they are using for the files but the quality is top notch. I'm guessing since it's a Microsoft product it's probably WMA.

No, I don't have the harddrive/NAV in my car. Just out of curiosity, how big is the hard drive? Can you add more or a bigger one?

No, I don't have the harddrive/NAV in my car. Just out of curiosity, how big is the hard drive? Can you add more or a bigger one?

Hey BBS IV,

The HD is 10 GB, says it will hold 2,400 songs, I think a 16 GB flash drive is about $15.99 so not really all that necessary and the flash drive is probably easier to update.

Regards,

Jim

It plays mp3 also. I have about 200 CDs on an 8GB USB drive that stays in my car. It's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Justin thanks.Can i just copy a CD to the flash drive w/o creating a file on my HD??I know its off thread a little,but would be helpful input--thanks

Hey BBS IV,

The HD is 10 GB, says it will hold 2,400 songs, I think a 16 GB flash drive is about $15.99 so not really all that necessary and the flash drive is probably easier to update.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks CaptJim88. Yeah...I will definitely get some extra USB Flash drives then. That will be cool. Should be able to put just about everything I own on about 5 or 6 of those! Just make one of rock, 80's, metal, country, etc. Awesome.

It's amazing how the price of the flash drives and for that matter MicroSD cards have dropped so much in a few years. Good for us.

No noise in my car but if you have an Iphone don't update to the new software because it totally jacked my Sync up! Sync support does not have any answers for this problem. Might be Apple being a little pissed that this is a Microsoft produced product. I do not know and don't have the time and am not willing to let my car idle for 12 hours while this Sync thing tries to copy all my song titles off my Iphone. But on the upside it works, just not as it was designed. The phonebook HAD all my contacts until I updated my Iphone, then BYE BYE and I cannot get them to come back! I hope an update soon will fix the Iphone problem but I am not holding my breath! Also there are going to be some wrecks with people trying to use this while driving! I will just concentrate on the road enjoy the engine and road noise and NOT kill anybody trying to jack with this while driving. Kinna funny the dvd player won't work while moving because fiddling with Sync is way more dangerous than Smokey and the Bandit, denohew

Archived